PDA

View Full Version : 300ex mods? good or bad??

12-22-2001, 08:25 PM
hey i just got me a 300ex about a week ago and just found this site about 45 mins ago. this is a wonderful site. nice rides to in the ride section they are sweet.

i just have a couple of questons before i go moden my 300ex.
i dont want anything done to my motor.
i have 750 bucks to spend and also i have to get the dealer to put it on for me cause i cant do it. and i think that is the only way i can keep my warranty.

i am thinking about putting a bigger sproket on. to gain some top end speed. it dont seem like it has to much to me . but had good bottom end and i was wondering if you guys thought i could add a tooth larger to my front sproket with out being screwed on the bottom end.

"the only reason why i want to add a tooth is because to get to alot of my trails where i ride we have to go as fast as we can on black top and run from the law and i dotn feel safe for the speed of my quad. so the faster i get off the road less chance i will see a cop. oh yeah i may add the speed limit is 55 and i barly keep up with the cars on the road!! with my scrambler i passed them. now i am lucky when i can keep up with them.

what makes this so tuff is that i ride really tight trails with lots of hills. and i was wondering if that larger sproket is a bad idea.

could i do anything to gain my power back and some?? with out doing any engine work.???
my tires are also starting to wear out big time and i was wondering what is a good tire for the 300ex the wont steal any power but also good in mud,hard pack and loosse pack and also Blacktop. and last longer?? does anybody have any ideas????? please let me know

i was thinking about getting a w/b e series pipe but i dont know if it is worth it for 489 dollars its seems alot to me but i could be wrong. if it gives good horse power gains let me know. and i will think about getting it.

i dont care about looks sound or how loud it is i want the most power gains so if anybody can help me out there please...

Bailey

hotrodhonda400
12-22-2001, 08:53 PM
hey welcome 2 the site ...but be careful its addictive:D yeah i had a 300 and went a tooth larger on the front and i like that set up because i thought that 1st gear was too low and 5th didn't have as much as i liked , i ran a mega max II ( FMF ) and liked how it did on that bike , the stock pipe is pathetic, the head pipe is so small its choked off before it even gets to the muffler and the fmf comes with the head pipe . As far as the tight trails and the higher gearing I think you'll be fine because thats primarally the type of riding i do and it worked out fine, especially after i got he pipe and added a higher flow filter.:)

R-Crazy
12-22-2001, 09:56 PM
when you added the pipe and the air filter, did you have to change any of the jetting, becuase I may enrichen mine by one noch. By the way, what would you have to do to raise the front sprocket one tooth. Would it be doing the same thing by making the back one one tooth smaller.

dave
thinkin about jetting one noch
want to run open air box
getting a one sixe larger front tooth

hotrodhonda400
12-22-2001, 10:29 PM
No i left my jetting alone and it ran fine, but i also ran the quiet core in the silencer so that may be why i didn't need to rejet or anything, but all bikes are a little different so thats your call but my ran for 2 years no problems and is still doing so (sold it to a friend) as far as the sprocket goes yeah a tooth smaller on the rear would be the same differnce as a tooth bigger on the front but..its more expensive so thats why i changed the front one;)

12-22-2001, 11:09 PM
so changing a sproket bigger would be a good idea?? on a stock 300ex. would this hurt my clutch in any way?

i am lookin for something that would take me done the road with out getting hit by a car but also can have enough power to take me up a big rough hill with obsticles.

i just want to make a good investment in this. i love my 4 wheeler its a honda best handling in its class . "so i heard" just need some more top speed and it will be perfect for me.
how much faster do you thikn my 300ex will go with a larger tooth? and do i have to rejet it???

oh i prob wont be getting the pipe anytime soon or less i sale my scrambler 400 4x4 but everybody wants me to give it away. so it looks like i am going o keep two 4 wheelers.

hotrodhonda400
12-23-2001, 06:39 AM
you can try the front sprocket there only around $20 or so without the pipe and see what ya think , and if ya don't like it then take it back off till ya get one..as far as speed...it probably gave me around 5-7 mph don't sound like much but was noticeable*(sp*) ,my 300 was a 93 and it was in just as good shape as the day i bought it apperance wise as well as mechanical and the clucth handled everything just fine, it(clutch) was still stock so..i think that goes without saying huh;) and for the jetting mine ran fine with stock jetting and the fmf BUT.. most people will tell you yes on the rejet after a new pipe..when you get the new sprocket the case saver will need to be shaved down a bit to make up for the bigger size just take a round file or i used a die grinder to shave mine down...but all in all give the sprocket a try and let me know how it turned out for ya:)

12-23-2001, 08:29 AM
if you have to shave someting i dont think i want to do it. but thanks for all the information. you helped out alot. right now i still have my warranty and my dealer is a *** already and sometihng goes wrong he will somehow blame it cause of the mods i have got on it.
did you noticed a big difference when you added on the pipe?? or wish you didnt spend all of that money on it?? cause it seems like a lot to me.

and i rode a warrior with a pipe and another warrior without one when i was lookin for a new 4 wheeler the only thing i could tell different was the sound and that is it. "but there could have been somehting wrong with there warrior.

TRX250EXER
12-23-2001, 12:02 PM
my friend has a 300ex with the WB E - series and he likes it a lot. he also has it jetted and has a K & N airfilter. Im getting all this for my 250 now too because his quad fu&%$# screams. the pipe is also adjustable for low end or high end. Matters on how many disks you have in it. Plus I think you can jet it for either top end or low end too but not sure on that. But if I were you I'd check out prices else where because that seems high. I know just the slip on is $269. I wouldn't think they charge that much more for the whole exhaust. check other honda dealers and see what they say. Then your dealer will have to give it to you for that price. the serivice might be expensive though. According to my dealer all this stuff is still covered by warranty. Im having my dealer put it on this week. As soon as the parts get here. I think a adjustable pipe is what you need though since you like hillclimbing (doesnt everybody) but you still need to go high speeds some times. Supertrapp makes one too so check them out. I have no clue on how much they cost.

12-23-2001, 08:59 PM
well

thank you guys for helping me out i went to the rides for the 300ex and checked out some stuff and seen what most people where using.

personaly i think those 4 wheelers in the ride section are AWesome. nice graphics makes me wanna wreck and crack my plastic and put some new plastic on with those graphics

anyways i have one more commen question what tires to use.

i go through everthing you can think of .. i think i should have got another 4x4 i am one of those types of guys who see a mud hole and go gets dirty........ i will try to go through any mud hole doesnt matter how deep it is as long as it isnt assed my muffler

anywyas what tires would you recomend that wouldnt still to much power or maybe give me a little. with good thread where i can hit the holes