PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/new Hiper Rims holding Air!!!

bcassatt
04-16-2003, 08:06 AM
I just got my new rear Hiper rims, and got them installed yesterday. I followed all the recommended torque specs when I put the tires on, but this morning both tires were flat!!! Is there something that I missed when I put the tires on?

Thanks for your help!

NacsRacing400
04-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Are they the fronts or the backs and what kind of tires. I have hypers all around and had a problem with the one wheel holding air because on the back side the bead was really tight and wouldnt fully go on but it looked like it was on when i inflated the tire. This was with holeshot mx fronts. But also if you took them apart at the center the oring seal could have come out of its groove when reassembling it, if so just get some vasoline and cover the oring in it and then put it back together, it keeps the orings in place. Hope i helped somewhat.

bcassatt
04-16-2003, 08:24 AM
They are Razr 2 rears. I didn't have any trouble with the front Razr 2s. I didn't mess with the centers. This is just the first install. I just put on the rings. Thanks!

Ex'r Marlin
04-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Check to see if the rings fully closed onto the wheel. In other words, make sure there is no gap between the beadlock ring and the HiPer wheel.

If possible, place inflated tire/wheel in tub of water to see where leak is.

Note: I do not have the Tech 3's... But my Tech 2's have been holding air great. Ron Derno (Derno24) has Tech 3's... No problems to date with his HiPer/Kenda XC setup.:cool:

Good luck, and keep us posted!:)

Merriman
04-16-2003, 11:40 AM
is it true that everytime you change out your tire on the hipers that you have to install a wheel rebuild kit? If so how much do these cost? This is just what I've heard, and want some clarification.

RideRed400StYlE
04-16-2003, 01:32 PM
I dont know about that wheel rebuild deal. when you change a tire you just remove the bead, take the tire off, and line the new tire up bolt it down and put air in it. I have hiper rears, and I have no air leaks. make sure when you tighten them down that the ring meets the rim when you look at the inside. and also make sure that the bead of the tire is in the groove that it is supposed to be in. I put my tires on and filled em up with air, and they didnt loose any yet. and better not for the price paid. lol

Ex'r Marlin
04-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RideRed400StYlE
I dont know about that wheel rebuild deal. I put my tires on and filled em up with air, and they didnt loose any yet. and better not for the price paid. lol
LOL's!:D

I too have not heard of a "wheel rebuild kit".

Anyway, if it means anything, I have successfully dismounted and replaced both front and rear tires on my HiPers, and no issues.:)

Good luck!

Merriman
04-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Cool,

I was wanting to get some, and heard about this rebuild kit. Wasn't sure if it was true or not. Thanks for clearing it up.

yz250
04-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Who ever told u that u have to buy a rebuild kit every time u change rubber was incorrect.Their is nonthing their to rebuild
:D

Sc0
06-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Has anyone tried to use SLIME@ around the bead to seal air leaks?

I had a shop install some RAZR2's on some rear wheels but after a couple of months the tires lost all air pressure. I blamed poor install since the beadlock ring had a wide gap between the wheel which allowed a buildup of dirt. I reseated both tires and followed the Hiper assembly instructions, one tire is holding air perfectly while the other goes flat over night. I have just ordered some front Hipers with Razr's so I would like any tips/tricks as to how to correct this leaking problem.

06-21-2004, 09:43 PM
please, dont use ANY slime in the hipers, thats just NASTY.

i can almost garauntee the reason they are leaking is because the bead lock rings are not MEETING the rim, another words the ring has to be matting with the inner rim surface.

if this is correct and they still leak then check the inner hub bolts.

THE rebuild kit is a MYTH. the only thing that can be changed if you happen to take the rim apart is the o ring which is on both sides of the aluminum hub center. Frankly those o-rings will outlast your life....

k2-dawg
06-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
LOL's!:D

I too have not heard of a "wheel rebuild kit".

Anyway, if it means anything, I have successfully dismounted and replaced both front and rear tires on my HiPers, and no issues.:)

Good luck!

^^^ The same goes for me. I've changed tires a few times on my hipers with no air leaks. Sounds like your tire might not be seated correctly....

HiZ
06-22-2004, 08:20 AM
There are O-rings in the center where the pieces meet. Be sure to inspect them to determine if that is the cause. DO NOT use slime in them. Be sure that your wheel is centered as well. Check that out!

HiZ
06-22-2004, 08:28 AM
I should say tire in the lip of the wheel