PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on here

luvmyex
04-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Last couple time i trailered to go somewhere when i warm up the quad and check the oil is completely full in the resivour. When the engine is cold the oil is about the right place,a little over half the 3/4 on the dip stick.It seems like its only when it s on a trailer that it does this?I even let out a few ounces of oil the first time and when i checked it again after a few mins of riding it was low.

jchevy
04-15-2003, 04:36 PM
start the quad, let it idle like 5 minutes to warm up and then check the oil. Go by that reading, not when its cold or after riding.

wilkin250r
04-16-2003, 04:26 AM
I believe the manual says to check it after it has warmed up, doesn't it?

Doibugu2
04-16-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I believe the manual says to check it after it has warmed up, doesn't it?

Yep yep.

When something cools it expands. Just think when you put a gallon of water in the freezer it breaks the container. Same thing here, the engine is probably at its coldest point because you have been trailering it home.

Let the SOB warm up, then check. It should be okay then.

jchevy
04-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Actually water is the exception to that rule. When something cools it gets more dense which causes it to shrink.

Thats why you make more power whan when the air cool and not hot.

gojk
04-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by jchevy
Actually water is the exception to that rule. When something cools it gets more dense which causes it to shrink.

Thats why you make more power whan when the air cool and not hot.

He is exactly correct. Water is one of the only compounds that expands when cold. Everything else shrinks when it is cold.

e gracie
04-16-2003, 09:45 AM
we have all been in cold water b4 little boy's

Chanman420q
04-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by e gracie
we have all been in cold water b4 little boy's

:huh :eek2: :huh

luvmyex
04-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by jchevy
start the quad, let it idle like 5 minutes to warm up and then check the oil. Go by that reading, not when its cold or after riding.
THat is what i always do. I have no clue why it has done it these two times.First time i warmed it up checked it and it was about to come out the spout.so i let a few ounces out.Then we load up drive to the place,unload warm it up again,and its real low.So i add some.Next time i ride was in Tenn this weekend and same thing.Way too full.So i just left it at that all weekend.Forgot to check it the next day,Too hung over. Ill probably change it again this week some time.See if its still like that.