PDA

View Full Version : Brrr getting cold

sly400ex
12-22-2001, 02:25 PM
Brrr getting cold

......And now my 400 won't start! I know that there have been quite a few posts about this topic, but I have a few questions. Is the stock pilot a #38? Is the pilot what the main jet screws into? Should I go to a 42? I am currently running a 165 m/j along with the other goodies in my sig. It's weird, I can get it started right away with the choke on, but then it dies after about a minute of idling! I have to end up pull starting the thing to get it to go again. After that, it is fine. Oh yeah, BTW, i live near Chicago to give you guys an idea of the temp/elevation.

thx guys;)

mikeboone
12-22-2001, 04:04 PM
Yes, stock is a #38. The pilot and main are not connected. They are beside each other. If you have a stock pilot jet; it will be "in a hole" it is not flush with the top. Just use a small screwdriver and back out. Be sure it is not the screw you are taking out--the pilot jet has two raised edges and a hole all the way through. Change to a 42 or 45 pilot and it will start easier. when you replace ANY jet; do NOT use alot of force---just lightly snug it up---the threads will easily strip. The XR 400 motorcycle uses a #50 pilot jet (I Think):cool:

Giz400ex
12-23-2001, 10:08 AM
I think I said this last year but I have a method that works for me without changing anything in the carb. If you have a salamander or something similiar, let it sit there for about 10-15mins to warm it up and it will start right up!!!

sly400ex
12-23-2001, 10:22 AM
I've got my pet Komodo Dragon, will that work?

Juggalo
12-23-2001, 11:23 AM
i live very close to chicago also. my EX still works fine in the cold. i probably should change the jetting but i'm too lazy. to start mine when the engine is completly cold i turn the choke on full, give the throttle three full blips, then start it. then i hold the throttle at about 1/4 throttle for a few minutes, then i turn the choke to half way, then after like another 30 seconds i turn it off and keep holding it for a little while longer. just hold it until you can idle. and if it won't start at all check your plug. i've fouled my plug a few times this year before i tried my method. hope this helps!

TRFOXX
12-23-2001, 11:12 PM
Juggalo thats how i have to start mine when cold and it works. But i was told once, that you shouldnt give it any gas when its on choke. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have to or it wont start!

Juggalo
12-24-2001, 12:03 AM
hey, i say if it works keep doin it.

RideRed400EX
12-24-2001, 09:52 AM
Go w/ the #42 pilot. I don't even use the choke now.