PDA

View Full Version : not your usual dune tire question

250exen
04-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Ok, i have a set of Brand new razrs, (still have the little nobby things on them it that helps) and i also have a set of stock tires that are pretty much worn out. is there really a difference on how they peform in the dunes?
now dont go saying get a 400ex then a good set of sand tires because i like my 250ex and this is a once-a-year thing.
also, i would have to mount my stocktires back up if that matters.

thanks
tj:D

Bretmd94
04-15-2003, 02:07 PM
The razars will be fine. Probably better than stock. Just keep the tire pressure down. Try somewhere between 3lbs. Maybe less. I used to run 1.5 lbs in the rear of my 350x and it was a heavier bike than yours. I never blew a bead off with it. You should be safe at 3 lbs.

AndrewRRR
04-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Just run the Razrs (sand likes sharper edges). Paddles will make the biggest difference but it's probably not worth it if you only go once a year.

Str8Wicked
04-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Make em flat in the dunes and they'll do fine and jsut remember to keep it pinned...... I ran 1.5 lbs in mine also and never lost a bead...

TheChknhwk
04-16-2003, 06:53 AM
From my personal experience razr's blow in the sand. The knobbies are too close together to facilitate any traction. Now a 400 may be able to overcome this to make most hill climbs, but a 250ex, I don't know... JMHO.

Jennys440'Dale
04-16-2003, 08:37 AM
I was just up at Silver Lake this past weekend and I took my dune tires off and ran my new Razr rears . I actually liked them. Didn't bog my 400 down as much. BUT Nick ran his Razrs (they are almost worn out) on his 440 and he like the dune tires better since he has the bigger engine to run the dune tires.

My mom ran her shredders on her little 250ex and she said she got good traction. I think you will be fine with the Razrs.

250exen
04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks!
i will do that!
question 2... What tires, stock trx300 tires or blackwaters in the dunes? 2wd

ohh..
IM GOING TO THE DUNES! IM GOING TO THE DUNES(this is gonna be my first time ever and im really excited!)

were going to silver lake in june sometime around the second week. not sure on dates yet. anyone wanna go? probably gonna be there fri, sat, sun...

thanks

TheChknhwk
04-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Jennys400ex
I was just up at Silver Lake this past weekend and I took my dune tires off and ran my new Razr rears . I actually liked them. Didn't bog my 400 down as much. BUT Nick ran his Razrs (they are almost worn out) on his 440 and he like the dune tires better since he has the bigger engine to run the dune tires.

My mom ran her shredders on her little 250ex and she said she got good traction. I think you will be fine with the Razrs.

Of course they are not gonna bog the bike down as much because there is no traction & they suck in the sand. I rode a warrior there w/Razr's on it & there is so much wheel spin that the bike was actually overheating because it couldn't get moving fast enough to accomplish its air cooling. Razr's are great on trail & track, but are not meant for the dunes. Now Realtors on the other hand are 2nd best to a paddle in IMO.

airheadedduner
04-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Your stock tires would be better then the razors for sand. More ballon like dirt tires work well. They have enough give and cusion to move you along, spin easy, and won't bog you down. My friends 83'atc250R could climb just about everything with his stock tires. Now, if you can get ahold of a stock set of 400EX tires that would be better. Thoose radials work better then anyother dirt tire in the sand.

brif
04-18-2003, 11:57 AM
I'm getting a set of kenda klaws. These should be similar to a stock ex or z rear tire right?:)

250exen
04-19-2003, 03:32 AM
thanks for all your help but i think im borrowing my neighbors paddle tires!! just talkin to him yeterday and he said i could borrow umm. hes got 2 bone stock act 250r's! dunno what year.
they are awsome!
thanks
tj

airheadedduner
04-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by brif
I'm getting a set of kenda klaws. These should be similar to a stock ex or z rear tire right?:)
I have never seen the kenda claws before. The stock EX/Z radials work good because they are a very soft tire, even after being inflated to 4 or 5 psi. The knobs are also spaced well for sand and provide good floatation.