PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!!! my rear shock has arrived

QuadTrix6
04-15-2003, 01:22 PM
its been a long 2 months without riding and today i came home to a ups note on the door :mad: but i picked it up and here it is :D :D

QuadTrix6
04-15-2003, 01:23 PM

QuadTrix6
04-15-2003, 01:23 PM

QuadTrix6
04-15-2003, 01:24 PM
:D

muff
04-15-2003, 01:45 PM
looks good, I should be getting my elka rear rebuilt here any day now

04-15-2003, 11:18 PM
nice:cool:

YZROOSTINYA
04-16-2003, 01:07 AM
is that dual rate? my spring is twice as big

muff
04-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

is yours zps?

I think his could be the same size just he had turned down the nut thingy at the top (dont know what to call it)

Sparks425Ex
04-16-2003, 01:57 AM
The top spring looks to be an ZPS spring... It wouldn;t be classified as a Dual Rate....

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 02:10 AM

no its a single rate with a zps spring. PEP doesnt make a dual rate rear unless u have a cr500 rear link

04-16-2003, 04:18 AM
Is that a paperclip wrapped around it or is it a spring??? :o :D

UglyMotha™
04-16-2003, 04:23 AM
i'm sure its been asked enough, but anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

how much does that run?:eek:

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Is that a paperclip wrapped around it or is it a spring??? :o :D

im not even gonna bother rico, im sick of your comments :rolleyes:

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
i'm sure its been asked enough, but anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

how much does that run?:eek:

Its $450 for the conversion plus shipping.

04-16-2003, 04:52 AM
could that sticker be any smaller:rolleyes:

Looks good.

Pro400EXC
04-16-2003, 06:59 AM
So does she sagg like grannys fun bags now?or about stock style?

Also I think i might send mine to like RG3, Factory Connection or Pro Action, one of them well known dirtbike shock builders,cause they been around for a while,and make a stock dirtbike shock feel better than anything,plus cheaper,but i dunno

04-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Its $450 for the conversion plus shipping.

Wow you still sore or can you sit down without screaming LOL :D

Damn shame how we allways get taken advantage of :mad: :mad:

Bretmd94
04-16-2003, 08:47 AM
450$ is pretty cheap compared to others i have looked at.

04-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
450$ is pretty cheap compared to others i have looked at.

I don't think your lookin very hard or in the right places...:ermm:

04-16-2003, 09:20 AM
450$ is pretty cheap compared to others i have looked at. :huh :huh

I guess I got some steal on my Elka rear (not a conversion) then cause for the few bucks more it wouldnt require much thought to make a decision.

Not sure about PEP but most elka conversions were like 275+ but I did hear elka was telling their dealers to hit us harder.

I don't think your lookin very hard or in the right places... ;)

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
So does she sagg like grannys fun bags now?or about stock style?

O it sags a lot.

04-16-2003, 10:16 AM
how does it get the sag when that little baby baby baby top spring allows only 1/4 of an inch of travel?? I"m confused on these shocks..i'm guessin the valving is what allows it to sag because it sure as he11 isn't from that little top spring...if you look at elka springs you'll see the top SSD spring has about 1.5 ta 2 inches of movement..

quadtrix are your shocks ZPS or limitied mass??

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 11:16 AM
how does it get the sag when that little baby baby baby top spring allows only 1/4 of an inch of travel?? I"m confused on these shocks..i'm guessin the valving is what allows it to sag because it sure as he11 isn't from that little top spring...if you look at elka springs you'll see the top SSD spring has about 1.5 ta 2 inches of movement..

quadtrix are your shocks ZPS or limitied mass??

Those are ZPS hence the paperclip.( thats the zps spring) I know u were being sarcastic abt the spring only allowing a 1/4 inch of travel but that is correct, it is 1/4 inch. But it is a 1/4 inch of shaft travel which is a lot more in actual sag on the bike.. also sagging is not only in that little spring. it goes down more after that. same as with my front zps'. I dont know how wayne does it and how it works but it is the best shock i have ever rode i am not complaining:blah :macho :muscle:

Dave400ex
04-16-2003, 12:12 PM
It looks awesome. That spring is very little though. I guess the high price comes mostly from the Hard Andozing...

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Looks great man...you have one hot setup there :macho

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 01:20 PM
hey rico do you get a cut from pushing elka, or did wayne from pep have an affair with you cause you sure have a grudge against PEP :macho :rolleyes:

04-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
hey rico do you get a cut from pushing elka, or did wayne from pep have an affair with you cause you sure have a grudge against PEP :macho :rolleyes:

no grudge against pep...I don't know much about them but so i'm tryin ta learn a little. I know there good shocks...that's a fact. Just trying to understand why the long wait and the high price...:ermm: NO biggy...

04-16-2003, 04:02 PM
It seems to look like pep has some more sag into the main spring than the elka but if anyone knows this for sure please speak up.

I have to agree that its not just one mfg that is priced high but just all of them but some are still worse than others.

I look at it this way between waiting for the weather and gettting that new piece installed etc I aint looking for any other long wait times, but those PEPs do look fine.

Extremeracer167
04-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Quadtrix,
i think your taken Ricos light hearted comments a little harshly. Now you made this thread, so therefore we all have a right to post what we think. And personally, i think u took one up the pooper, to pay $450 and wait as long as u did. Im not denying its not a good shock, but ive rode many of rebuild shocks. And they are all mostly under par compared to a brand new shock. Your still using the same bodys, same amount of oil, and so forth. Thats alot of a good shock. now that i have put in my 1/2 penny, flame on:D

Extremeracer167
04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
Also I think i might send mine to like RG3, Factory Connection or Pro Action, one of them well known dirtbike shock builders,cause they been around for a while,and make a stock dirtbike shock feel better than anything,plus cheaper,but i dunno

Prob. not a good idea. SUre they might do a good job on dirtbike shocks, but the bike shocks are a better shock then whats put onto our quads from the factory. The rear shock on a 400ex is not a bad shock at all, for a stock rear shock straight from a factory. But as i said above, still not up to par. I think you would be better off saving the extra money and buying a brand new one. And even if they did say they could do it, i dont htink any of those companys have much experiance with ATV shocks. And its 2 COMPLETELY differant ball parks between ATV and bike shocks.

QuadTrix6
04-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
Quadtrix,
i think your taken Ricos light hearted comments a little harshly. Now you made this thread, so therefore we all have a right to post what we think. And personally, i think u took one up the pooper, to pay $450 and wait as long as u did. Im not denying its not a good shock, but ive rode many of rebuild shocks. And they are all mostly under par compared to a brand new shock. Your still using the same bodys, same amount of oil, and so forth. Thats alot of a good shock. now that i have put in my 1/2 penny, flame on:D

sorry man, but im kida sick of all the negative comments towards PEP, most from people who never rode them.. i know everyone bashes the wait but the wait is over for me and i got news for all the die hard elka fans out there its night and day, i have rode elka tripple rates with ssd and rezzies setup very closely to me on a friends bike and let me tell you theres a noticable difference....you all bash the wait but if you order them at the right time the wait can be no longer than a month i ordered mine right before race season which is one of the longest waiting periods. how many elka guys get theres in a month but end up wiating the same amount of time as PEP guys because they have to send them back a few times cause there not setup right or elka makes the compressed shock lengths to short and breaks your balljoints, or they are to stiff or to soft..... and my rear took awhile but that was my fault not PEPs. its a long story but it would have been 3 weeks so ....and as for the rear conversion being under par. ITS NOT. Maybe on an elkas but not the peps. Its a common misconception. I have heard that from many people on the site and i believed it too. So when i ordered my shock from pep i talked to wayne the owner of pep abt this for over an hour getting every detail and he still recomended me to get the conversion not the full shock. The only difference is you cant fully replace every part on the stock one which doesnt affect performance. They still put new springs, oil, valve it, hard anodize it etc.. the performance is THE SAME, YES THE SAME ......... i love how all ricos fans jump out of the closet when someone makes one comment :rolleyes:

Taco
04-17-2003, 01:38 AM
I'm sorry but pretty much the only negative thing people say about PEP is that the wait is too long. How can you argue that point? Also if the rear rebuild is so good why do they even make a rear shock? Just my opinion on the matter (I guess that makes me a Rico fan:D ):confused2

04-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
i love how all ricos fans jump out of the closet when someone makes one comment :rolleyes:

Maybe if you lost your piss pour attitude you'd have fans too...:muscle:

I never meant for my response to be a flame..i asked questions..never said elkas are better..only thing I mentioned was the difference in SSD spring on the elka compared to the ZPS on the PEP. YOur the one that got all defensive...the paperclip spring was a joke..sorry but I'll not joke with you anymore since your full of piss and vinegar....;)

Taco
04-17-2003, 01:47 AM
oh yea and who said i was in the closet:mad:

muff
04-17-2003, 01:52 AM
wow it sure is amazing how a thread even like this can turn into a pissin match, you guys who start threads need to realize that not everyone likes the things you like...if you cant handle that concept then dont go postin on here and expect all good replies all of the time

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by muff
wow it sure is amazing how a thread even like this can turn into a pissin match, you guys who start threads need to realize that not everyone likes the things you like...if you cant handle that concept then dont go postin on here and expect all good replies all of the time

Well I just reread the whole thread and the only flame I saw was Quadtrixs. The rest I would just call gathering and sharing of information:D

muff
04-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Well I just reread the whole thread and the only flame I saw was Quadtrixs. The rest I would just call gathering and sharing of information:D

yea i would have to agree with you, I'm not that familar with rear shocks even tho I just had mine rebuilt by the quadshop, should be getting it anyday now and I'm waitin to see how much better it really is and what my ssd spring looks like

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:05 AM
yea i would have to agree with you, I'm not that familar with rear shocks even tho I just had mine rebuilt by the quadshop, should be getting it anyday now and I'm waitin to see how much better it really is and what my ssd spring looks like
It may not be as good as full aftermarket but mine was a welcome improvement:cool:

YZROOSTINYA
04-17-2003, 02:09 AM
what is the diff between ZPS and SSD

I thought they were similar?
are they building the SAG intot he valving?

My quad sags about 3 inches in the rear and i love it. My quad handles 10 times better now. My intial SSD spring on my conversion is about 2 inches tall. its hard to see int he pic on the first page.

450 does seem pricey

mine was 320 delivered.

only shocks i have ridden on are elkas and works set up for the wrong weight.

I like mine. they do seem stiff in the woods sometimes but i think its just cause my woods consist of BOULDERS.

I cant wait to get them On the track!!!!

465Stroker
04-17-2003, 02:24 AM
Rico - To make a very long explanation shorter the PEP spring pictured is simply longer than the Elka spring you have seen in the past which will make the ZPS gap much smaller. ZPS systems sort of works the same but difference in PEP to Elka valving DOES come into play as another reason too.
ZPS is all about having no preolad on the spring which the shock pictured is perfectly fine whether it is 1/8 or 1" ZPS gap.
PEP's long wait? You are sure right about that - but I can guaranty you that PEP ships more shocks per day than any other shock manufacture (rider specific) out there! There ATV client base is the largest in the WORLD which will obviously slow down shipping dates.
I hate to say it, but Elka shipping may have to slow down in the future especially with all of the business that Duncan International and Doug Roll have been putting in there laps. Soon to be the shortest wait time may be AXIS since they are not on Duncan's / Roll's list anymore. Also, Duncan & PEP ship a ton of product overseas daily that know one even considers....

Pappy
04-17-2003, 02:33 AM
465stroker.....get yer tape out....cuz i need you to work yer magic on mine.

fellas rick can tell you things about setting up shocks that will change the way you think of suspension:D deffinatley some expierence goin on inside his head.

overseas
:confused:

damn i aint never seen a pep equiped rickshaw:devil

OCCRA288
04-17-2003, 02:34 AM
oh yea and who said i was in the closet:mad:

Nobody said that Taco, We all knew you were gay.:rolleyes:

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by OCCRA288
Nobody said that Taco, We all knew you were gay.:rolleyes:
That's it I've had it. I'm telling my Mommy:grr

QuadTrix6
04-17-2003, 03:24 AM
I'm sorry but pretty much the only negative thing people say about PEP is that the wait is too long. How can you argue that point? Also if the rear rebuild is so good why do they even make a rear shock? Just my opinion on the matter (I guess that makes me a Rico fan:D ):confused2

Ypu can get a whole new shock because then everything is replacable and will last longer. The performance is still the same. This is what they told me at pep if u have questions call them 1-909-590-4111

muff
04-17-2003, 03:37 AM
what is the diff between ZPS and SSD

I thought they were similar?
are they building the SAG intot he valving?

they're the same, just elka calls it ssd and others call it zps

fourtrax400ex
04-17-2003, 03:39 AM
i dont know for pep but but for my new Elka, i wait only 4day, i ordered them the thursday and it will be at home the monday!! There at least one advantage from living in Quebec, i can have Elka service more rapidly than everyone!!!:blah

QuadTrix6
04-17-2003, 03:50 AM
they're the same, just elka calls it ssd and others call it zps

they are not the same.

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Just trying to understand why the long wait and the high price...:ermm: NO biggy...

My friend just bought a set of PEP ZPS Long Travel Front Shocks for $895...talk about an *** raping :ermm: :confused2

I admit...your right about the wait...but let me tell you, its worth it :macho

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 05:08 AM
no grudge against pep...I don't know much about them but so i'm tryin ta learn a little. I know there good shocks...that's a fact. Just trying to understand why the long wait and the high price...:ermm: NO biggy...

The wait is so long because they have twice as many customers as any shock company out there...THeir price is the same just about as any other good shock place,look at axis they are more $$

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 05:13 AM
Also if the rear rebuild is so good why do they even make a rear shock? Just my opinion on the matter (I guess that makes me a Rico fan )

PEP will even tell u that their rear conversion is just as good as their actual shock body..I talked to wayne for a bit and he said that the stock EX shock body is just as good,they throw all their (PEP) valving guts to what u want in ur shock set up for in ur shock..Elka ,TCS,AXIS all do the same ;)

04-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Well i had my stock rear shock rebuilt..maxima synthetic oil, new gold series valves, new spring for my wieght and riding style..pretty much the best that you can get went into the rebuild and It was awesome. I was very very happy with it..and the cost was only $250. How is the PEP rebuild $200 better????:confused:

I know wayne is the pimp daddy of shocks and has a huge list of top riders that use his shocks and I'd run a set of his shocks any damn day of the week....but is that extra $200 goin toward the baby PEP sticker on it?? I don't see how a PEP rebuilt shock is gonna be $200 better than the one I had rebuilt.. and the normal Joe rider is not gonna know the difference..I don't give a chit what you say..unless you've raced quads for many many years and tried out all types of shocks your not gonna notice the difference... It's all good and I'm just askin question..who knows maybe I'll buy some peps next year...:eek:

AtvMxRider
04-17-2003, 06:26 AM
I think the waaaaabulance needs to stop at quadtrix's house.

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 06:45 AM
I know wayne is the pimp daddy of shocks

Rico u answered your own question above and didnt realize it..But for the $200 thing PEP is prolly the best suspinson maker out there and people see it and some like myself have exsperienced it..PEP has been around longer and have earned more respect for their products than anyone else..Dont get me wrong AXIS,ELka,TCs are all very great shocks but there is only one great PEP ZPS setup by wayne.

N-e ways i riden on some of the top level suspinsons and nothing compared to the PEP ZPS smoothness,thats y i got a set of PEP ZPS LT On their way to me;)

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Well i had my stock rear shock rebuilt..maxima synthetic oil, new gold series valves, new spring for my wieght and riding style..pretty much the best that you can get went into the rebuild and It was awesome. I was very very happy with it..and the cost was only $250. How is the PEP rebuild $200 better????:confused:

I know wayne is the pimp daddy of shocks and has a huge list of top riders that use his shocks and I'd run a set of his shocks any damn day of the week....but is that extra $200 goin toward the baby PEP sticker on it?? I don't see how a PEP rebuilt shock is gonna be $200 better than the one I had rebuilt.. and the normal Joe rider is not gonna know the difference..I don't give a chit what you say..unless you've raced quads for many many years and tried out all types of shocks your not gonna notice the difference... It's all good and I'm just askin question..who knows maybe I'll buy some peps next year...:eek:

Rico, think of it this way...PEP is capable of taking a stock EX shock, working their magic on it, and making it perform just as good as a complete aftermarket shock. Now for half the cost of the new shock I personally think its well worth it....see what I mean? :confused:

BTW, if you want to get into pricing...why is it that PEP can build you a set of ZPS LT Front Shocks for $895...but for a set of LT SSD Elka Shocks, your looking at $1k+ :ermm:

knighttime
04-17-2003, 07:03 AM
please state why a pep rear shock is superior to a 400ex stock shock rebuilt with top of the line materials. State facts only.

Dont say cause tim farr or some pro uses them, that is not a fact that they are superior, it only proves that the pro was paid to use them or was given them.:mad:

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
please state why a pep rear shock is superior to a 400ex stock shock rebuilt with top of the line materials. State facts only.

Dont say cause tim farr or some pro uses them, that is not a fact that they are superior, it only proves that the pro was paid to use them or was given them.:mad:

Rico, think of it this way...PEP is capable of taking a stock EX shock, working their magic on it, and making it perform just as good as a complete aftermarket shock. Now for half the cost of the new shock I personally think its well worth it....see what I mean?

All the above what rippin said

04-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Rico, think of it this way...PEP is capable of taking a stock EX shock, working their magic on it, and making it perform just as good as a complete aftermarket shock. Now for half the cost of the new shock I personally think its well worth it....see what I mean? :confused:

But my rear shock performs just as good or better than aftermarket shocks and only cost me $250..that's what i'm gettin at..why is wayne's $200 more across the board compared to all those that rebuild rear 400ex shocks??:confused: I've yet to bottom out my rear shock to this day after the rebuild and I've purposly cased jumps to test it..

Lets keep the thread clean it's goin good right now...:) but i'm still confused... Is this the type of thing like roll design??? A name means add $100 to all products..

Tommy 17
04-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Is this the type of thing like roll design??? A name means add $100 to all products..

u got it wrong rico... its 100$ and a 6+ month wait like some of his shocks:rolleyes:

i'd take the elka rebuild have it in 2 weeks and pay less...

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-17-2003, 07:22 AM
But my rear shock performs just as good or better than aftermarket shocks and only cost me $250..that's what i'm gettin at..why is wayne's $200 more across the board compared to all those that rebuild rear 400ex shocks??:confused: I've yet to bottom out my rear shock to this day after the rebuild and I've purposly cased jumps to test it..

Lets keep the thread clean it's goin good right now...:) but i'm still confused... Is this the type of thing like roll design??? A name means add $100 to all products..

I personally do not know why Elka charges $250, and PEP charges $450...all I know is even at $450 (half the cost of a new shock, same performance), its still a deal in my opinion...I would gladly pay the $450 for a PEP rebuild. TCS charges $425 for their conversion, so PEP isn't the only one...maybe for the companies that charge more they can build a better shock than Elka? Who knows really....

04-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
Rico - Did your shock builder have several top Pro's and Amateurs racing his setup you got? There is an investment into getting the right valving , springrate, etc. that goes into that price. Sure all of the components add up to much less - but who is to pay for the R&D - the consumer! I really do not mind paying to get the best setup for me - it sure is better paying for multiple freight charges sending your shocks back and forth to your builder if they are not right. Also - did you shock builder take the time to anodize your shock body also?

It is kind of like paying someone for porting your cylinder - heck they should pay YOU since thay grinded all of that material from your cylinder head! What you pay for is the countless number of cylinder heads & time that have been wasted for the sake of R&D.

No flame intended :D

No harm done Rick...;) YOur answering my questions which is what i wanted..

Yeah i forgot about the anodizing of the shock..:o and I do know that wayne proabably has the largest database and record book of shock valving of anyone in the market....

I guess another thing I've not considered is I have the largest Elka dealership as my main sponsor and there only 8 miles down the road so I dont' have long waits for shock rebuilds..which I dont' need because my elka's are perfect and I'm getting real good deals on shocks too so no need to look at other brands....

Again no harm meant to guys that are running PEP..I said it once and I'll say it again,..I"D BUY PEP AND RUN THEM ON MY QUAD.. I'm just trying to understand PEP, inc.. Just like I tried to understand Roll Design but I've done give up on that crook...:ermm: thanks fer the info guys....

I would like to add that yes Elka has had issues with their shocks...big friggen deal..you think God hand deliverd Wayne and that he never built a shock that had problems or never has shocks sent back to him for wrong valving or seals leaking....wrong.

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-17-2003, 07:49 AM
Rico, I did some checking...an Elka Rebuild is $350...why are you saying $250?

04-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Rico, I did some checking...an Elka Rebuild is $350...why are you saying $250?

I didn't get a elka rebuild on my rear...just a full rebuild with no SSD..

I broke down a bought a full adj. rear elka though and it is da shiznit fo damn sure...:D

Are you guys mad at me now?:( :(

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Are you guys mad at me now?:( :(

:scary:

J/K man :p

muff
04-17-2003, 12:10 PM
yea I got my elka ssd rebuilt rear for just under $330, put it on today and it sure sits nice and low....I cant wait to try it out

I lowered my front to and it looks so nasty, I've never ridden a quad before with zps...I've be gettin to test out some quadrate elkas w/ houser LTs in a few weeks on my friends dale, should be pretty so nice

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 12:44 PM
I've be gettin to test out some quadrate elkas w/ houser LTs in a few weeks on my friends dale, should be pretty so nice

O almost bought a set of the quad rates...but then i did some reseraching and liked the idea of the PEP ZPS LT....the wait sucks but its worth it;)

400EXrider#91
04-17-2003, 04:22 PM
ok i took the time and read this whole post and it informed me on many things thanks guys, but i want to get elka to rework my back shock and put SSD on it...where do i get it done and how long of a wait?

thanks again

KandK952
04-17-2003, 04:42 PM
PEP ZPS have a ton of sag. I have actually tried this before, if you set the front ZPS gap to as much as you can, and the rear pretty high, you can get the thing to almost reach the floor. (except wayne valves all shocks so there is a 2 inch clearance between the frame and the ground. -quick fact)

Dave400ex
04-17-2003, 05:54 PM
There's no doubt about PEP being one of, if not the best out there. For LT PEP is the way to go because they are cheaper then Elka's, Axis, MotoWoz, and a few others. Only cheaper is TCS. If I was looking at getting shocks now, I would get PEP or Axis. Not that Elka's are not good, I love mine, but like trying different stuff. I just have this picture of a full Arens rolling chassis with Axis shocks :eek2:

04-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Great to see this thread is moving along in the right direction.

I hate to do this but dont forget that the end user (us as riders etc) has to do the final set up for ride heights and settings etc and this can make as much a diff as the original set up by the mfg. and it isnt anyware near easy to do and takes some trial and error. There are many things that add up to a "great suspension" not just a single product.

As far as comparing the rebuilt stocker to the aftermarket rear shocks I have not had the chance to ride a pep or elka rebuild but I had the stock oem honda shock rebuilt completely internal (price 110.00) and it doesnt even play in the same ball park as the elka rear, and I have to think the pep rear would be the same.

There was a member who had started a thread on suspension setup "suspension 101" that was great but it never got to the finished stage and thats too bad since proper set up would have benefitted us all a lot more than which brand we decided on.

A final note on the Elka lt shocks is that you can find them much much lower than the newer published price. It seems as they were becoming more popular they have been trying all kinds of marketing and pricing stunts to increase prices or profits for both the dealers and elka. The dealer or distributor prices as more in line with the triple rates and if you pay the higher premium go grab the preperationH cause you got reemed.

QuadTrix6
04-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Great to see this thread is moving along in the right direction.

I hate to do this but dont forget that the end user (us as riders etc) has to do the final set up for ride heights and settings etc and this can make as much a diff as the original set up by the mfg. and it isnt anyware near easy to do and takes some trial and error.

There are many things that add up to a "great suspension" not just a single product.

i barely had to make any adj, it was very closley set up already i made minor adj to the rear and now there perfect :devil

SGA
04-18-2003, 02:08 AM
I have read this thread from bow to stern, There are some good points in it. I had the elka SSD rebuild. It did not feel as good to me as a full aftermarket shock. Maybe wayne has figured it out how to do it. I cant say, but sure would like to ride one. What I noticed is on a converted stock rear shock, is when you lower the quad a inch or two,(Stock shock Converted to have more sag), you loose compression travel. Which in turn means you have to run a well matched rear spring to give a good ride. getting that spring right is tricky. The replaced valving is about the same as a aftermarket shock. I may be wrong here, but I have noticed a full aftermarket rear shock has more physical compression stroke length, therefore offering a better ride, especially when the quad is lowered. Whats your comments on this if you have knowledge in this area?
Now lets all have a foot long chilli cheese dog and a cold one :D

BigAl
04-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Kind of a newb here, but I'd like to help Rico out.

I think PEP runs a completely different valving system than the other companies. I thought he used the ckeck ball principle that works uses.

Also the hard anodizing, and the ZPS conversion should = the $200.

I did the same thing as you Rico, I put in a gold valve, and a heavier Eibach spring, and I really like the way it feels, except now my cheapo works on the front need some help.

YOu got a smokin deal on that rebuild, cause I did mine myself and have real close to that much in it.