PDA

View Full Version : kit and cam

12-22-2001, 10:55 AM
ok i just ordered a 440 kit and an xr cam.
what sort of power gain can i expect on a completely otherwise stock bike?
and can i expect to hang in with my buddy's rapor?

thanks

schism_rhs
12-22-2001, 11:33 AM
There is currentley a bit of a debate about this in the Open Forum, look under something like 400ex or Raptor...In my oppinion you should be able to hang with or beat a raptor...if anyone knows How Many HP does a 440EX and A Raptor crank out ???...

also what part of Nova Scotia are you From, I'm a Cape Breton boy myself.

Smoker
12-22-2001, 07:20 PM
Your looking in the 40's for horsepower. If you here to http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/ , GT Thunder's website they have dyno readings of the 400 with different parts including a built 440. Go to the test bench section.

12-23-2001, 02:56 PM
i'm in musquodoboit. i'm kinda jammed between truro and halifax.
i'm also thinking of piping my bike i was thinking fmf header and wb silencer. any thoughts?

Dave400ex
12-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Why don`t you just get the White Bros. Pro-Meg complete pipe.

shook
12-23-2001, 09:35 PM
Im not so sure youll beat a raptor but youll definately be satisfied lets face it the raptorstill has 220cc's more but you should be able to give him a good run I have a friend with a raptor with pipe K&N and jet kit and its pretty nasty but ride the red wings youll do more riding and less work HONDA 1#

12-24-2001, 09:29 AM
My buddy also has a raptor with pipe and jet kit. It made a huge difference over stock. The front wheels on thing never want to stay on the ground. That said, I doubt you'll keep up with a raptor with a pipe and jet kit, maybe with a stock raptor. You'll probably want to check your gearing, maybe take a few teeth off the back sprocket.

What brand of kit did you order? You will definitely want to do something with your exhaust and intake. The modifications will make your engine want better air flow.

12-24-2001, 02:33 PM
If you are putting out 40hp then you should be able to beat a Raptor. I believe a stock Raptor puts out 36-37 horse. Gearing and riding ability will also play a huge part in your race!

One more thing, if you are going to put the kit and cam in it then you really need to change the exhaust. The stock exhaust will just choke the power.

DEAL
12-24-2001, 03:14 PM
Buy a Pro circuit full system , I was riding with a guy who had a 440ex with one.

Dave400ex
12-24-2001, 03:25 PM
You need to get a different pipe if your going to get a 440 Kit and Cam. You need that bigger head pipe. You could get a White Bros. Pro-Meg Complete, Sparks X-6, LRD Big Bore Pipe, TC Racing, and many more. You will have a lot more power if you get a different pipe.

shook
12-26-2001, 11:49 AM
Hey I ride a 400ex and a 250r and I would love for the 400 to out run a raptor but lets face it the raptor just has alot more motor than a 400ex you would need a serious 440 to out run a raptor but even then remember evrything you do to a 400ex the raptor can do also and from the dyno printouts on the raptor they are stopped up bad from the factory a pipe filter and jet kit will give huge gains to the bike probably as much as putting a 440 kit on a ex I have seen raptors with a cam piston and pipe and air filter on a dyno put out 60 hp it will be real hard to get even close with a 440 kit now if you want a fast ex buy a xr650 or a 600 and do some mods to it like swing arm and a arms to keep it stable and then you could out run the raptor.I have 250r with a ESR motor on it and it will kill a raptor.wWe had the ESR motor dynoed and it put out 71 hp this bike flys almost top much!!

12-27-2001, 06:22 PM
go buy a crf450. 55hp on two wheels in an aluminum frame.waaahooo.then you can easily slay a raptor