PDA

View Full Version : seat cover help

RideRed400StYlE
04-15-2003, 11:31 AM
well, My graphics and seat cover came in and I am having a hard time getting the lines out of the side of the seat cover. I had me and another person pulling on the sides as hard as we could. I dont really want to use pliers because it is vinyl on the sides and it will just stretch and rip. whats everyones secrets to stretching the seat cover on there really good. thanks

southex
04-15-2003, 01:01 PM
i have done 2 different seat covers and i have found that if i work from the center to the ends i get the best results. you can also remove and stretch again after for any wrinkles. Also i left the cover on the driveway for 30mins and seemed to help make it easier to stretch. thats my experience...good luck.

AndrewRRR
04-16-2003, 06:39 AM
I'd get it warm with a hairdryer or oven (450 degrees for 90 mins, lol jk!) to make it soft and easier to stretch. Keep in mind the tighter you stretch it the harder the seat will be.

breadman400ex
05-14-2003, 10:36 AM
I just got my seat cover today, do you have to have a special staple gun?? or will a regular staple gun penatrate the plastic on the bottom of the seat?

dariusld
05-14-2003, 12:13 PM
I used a regular staple gun. One tip is not to use long staples. I used 1/2 inch staples and I should of used shorter ones. I could feel staples through the seat cover. I fixed all but a couple by stapling farther in towards the middle of the seat. My seat cover had wrinkles in it to but after completely installing it, they were gone. Some people will say take it to an upolstery shop but this job was really easy. It turned out looking really good too.

breadman400ex
05-14-2003, 12:30 PM
so what size staples should I use? 1/4" ?

breadman400ex
05-14-2003, 12:30 PM
oh... and did you take off your stock seat cover or put it on over top of stock? any other helpfull hints?

dariusld
05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
3/8 in. staples is what I would use or 1/4 in. if not to short. Something that is not too long (1/2) or to short(?). One problem I also had was getting staples all the way around the seat because my stapler couldn't fit in those spots. Another tip is when stapling make sure you are pressing down on the stapler really hard before you staple. This way the staple will go all the way in. I took the stock seat cover off, because it was damaged, but I don't know the benefits of leaving it on.

dariusld
05-14-2003, 01:14 PM
I had to recover it because my son flipped and cracked the fender and tore the seat. It might look a little funny because there are 40 zip ties under the seat holding the fender together.

01400ex
05-14-2003, 04:17 PM
The easiest way to put on a seat cover is to:

First: staple one end of the seat the front or back it dosnt matter.

2nd: stretch the cover to the opposite side and staple it.

3rd: Always start in the middle. Get a hair dryer to help stretch the cover on. Heat the center of the cover and the side you are stretching on. After its good and hot stretch it on and staple it.

4th: Do the other side the same way by heating it first.

5th: now just work your way to the ends. If you cant get the wrinkles stretched out then heat it.

6th: After its all stapled on cut off the excess material and your done.

Later Ryan H.

stiffy
05-15-2003, 03:46 AM
You can put it in the Dryer for a little bit and that will soften it up and I think the staples with sharp ends goes into the plastic easier than the dull ones I go to an upholstery shop to do mine but it's close to my house and they do it for free and they are really good at it so it takes two seconds to get it on. Good Luck

lil400exman
05-15-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by stiffy
You can put it in the Dryer for a little bit and that will soften it up and I think the staples with sharp ends goes into the plastic easier than the dull ones I go to an upholstery shop to do mine but it's close to my house and they do it for free and they are really good at it so it takes two seconds to get it on. Good Luck
same here but a guy in west virgina gets new foam and all for 15 dollars........ i think itsa good deal i can get you his # if you like................

hondamxer161
05-15-2003, 12:08 PM
im looking for new foam for my 250r. does this guy have some? if so hook me up with his number

mike