PDA

View Full Version : Idling trouble

muff
04-15-2003, 04:54 AM
I've got my 440ex with a 170 main, 42 pilot, and needle on the 3rd or 4th clip down

when I first start it up it will idle for maybe a minute but then it'll just sputter out and die, I've messed around with the idle adjustment but I cant turn it in anymore, I've also adjusted it at the throttle assembly with no luck

could it be the air/fuel mixture screw?

i just put a new plug in and my air filter and all that is good, runs awesome in mid and top so I know its not the main jet, and good down low, it'll only hesitate a very little bit if i'm just puttin along but I think thats cause of the low idle

any suggestions/help is appreciated

ridered86
04-15-2003, 07:36 AM
how cold was it when this happened, was it running ok at southwick sunday? how does it die, does it sound like its flooding out? maybe there is a piece of crap in there. plus a overbore engine is not gonna idle perfectly either, but that shouldnt have anything to do with it. the only time my 416 struggles while idling is when its cold.

muff
04-15-2003, 07:46 AM
it was doin the same thing on sunday... its really warm out right now (70 degrees), it'll start up after like 3 cranks and it'll go for a little bit maybe a few seconds then it'll sound like its not gettin enough gas

also when you hold a piece of cloth or your hand behind the exhaust when its running it gets really black and a little wet

Chanman420q
04-15-2003, 10:38 AM
pilot jet? :confused:

muff
04-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
pilot jet? :confused:

I already went up to a 42