PDA

View Full Version : I will give 5$ to anyone who.....

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 03:43 AM
alright I am now bribing exriders to see if I can get a little more attention here.

I am having Carb problems on my quad, and i have posted more than enough about it but still nothing....I am now thinking it is not humanly possible, but you never know.

My quasd sputters, hesitates, chokes and just runs like pure ***** from about starting throttle to mid throttle, or to be more exact, about 1/8 throttle to 3/5 thottle, when my quad is pinned it goes great, and it seems that is the only way it can be driven, now it sounds like theres water in my muffler.

if there is any advice or what not that someone could give me, that I try that works, give me your address and i will send ya 5$...Sorry i do not have a lot:rolleyes: :p

I will give a link where stocktires has tried to help me more than once, thanks

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54001&perpage=&pagenumber=2

I might add I have done many things and nothing has worked, so it is not going to be "is the the choke on" type thing
I have done the following
-took off air filter
-changed plug (and plug read, it was wet and black)
-lowered main jet, then went back to the 128
-checked pilot for plogs
-checked float for sticking or anyhing improper
-needle is good on groove #4, and everything seems to be a.o.k
thanks

p.s. 5$ is not a lot, but what the hell, doing that for nothing is pretty nice

CranMan
04-15-2003, 04:06 AM
I'm no expert but here's two observations...sounds like you're getting too much fuel and it only does ok when it's wide open and getting alot of air to go with all the fuel. If your plug is wet and black that is probably from overfueling unless it's using oil also, in that case maybe your rings are bad?

Has it always done this, did it start after you did one of the mods you listed in your signature?

Could your needle be bent and not seating right in the MJ, and once you get past 3/5 throttle it's raised up enough where it doesn't matter? Have you tried to raise the needle by moving the clip on it?

I know these things can be frustrating. Dont give up, keep digging, you can eventually figure it out. I had a Blaster that gave me HELL for 8 months, but I eventually replaced a part and now it runs great..

Doibugu2
04-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Don't want to sound like a jerk, but you already have your answer.

Your plug is black and wet. Your running rich.

Go click on the tech articles on the top of the screen and read about carb jetting. It will give you a good starting point.

If your ok on full throttle, you know its not the main. So stop messing with that.

No one can give you an answer from here because there are to many variables. You just have to use trail and error. Only change one thing at a time and try and isolate what is screwed up.

This is a good way to learn.

Just my .02 cents

:confused2

Dan300ex
04-15-2003, 04:22 AM
and just so you dont over look anything....check to make sure the plug is getting the amount of juice its supposed to...

UglyMotha™
04-15-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

No one can give you an answer from here because there are to many variables. You just have to use trail and error. Only change one thing at a time and try and isolate what is screwed up.

which trail should i hit first:D

Doibugu2
04-15-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
which trail should i hit first:D

:grr

I will never misspell trial for trail.

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 05:01 AM
i would like to thank all of you

I have expirence with Carbs, so I knew it was running very rich, however my needle is not ben, and i doubt anything is wrong with my rings, its a 2002.

It has never done this, i guess what i am asking is, what do you guys think the problem is? Do you think that this whole problem is by it running fat? do you think if i ran it leaner everything would work out, becasue i will tune down the fuel screw and take the lid off, and see how it does...

do you think it is getting to much or to little gas? thank you all

this thing is amazing:eek2:

what controls my throttle form this point? needle or main? or pilot?

Guy400
04-15-2003, 05:07 AM
Your pilot jet controls idle-1/8 throttle, the needle controls from 1/8-3/4 throttle and the main controls the rest. You stated the needle is on the 4th clip, that seems awfully rich and that coincides with where you're having the difficulty. I'd drop the needle one notch (to the 3rd notch) and see if your condition improves.

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 05:14 AM
thank you very much guy, I will give it a shot, although the directions said under 5000 feet 4th clip down, and i am at like 500 feet:p

darrell43031
04-15-2003, 05:20 AM
ya pay no attention to that you just have to change it around and see what works for you. you may find what setting works for your bike my not be close to what they suggest. like it was said be fore it's just trial and error:)

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 06:53 AM
well i did what guy said, and wow, it didnt work, infact it jsut ran lean as heck, it smelt like crap to, and now i got a headache:p

so i am changing it back, and made an appointment with my dealer, this is just to much trouble, i have tried everything, i dont even think my dealer can handle this, i just do not know what went wrong

i also broke this tightener that goes around the small boot on the carb to the cylinder, any ideas where to pick one of these? things arent working out, and my april vacation is going going and soon to be gone

nakomis0
04-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02

i also broke this tightener that goes around the small boot on the carb to the cylinder, any ideas where to pick one of these?

That very rare tightener is called a hose clamp, its like a dollar at any auto parts store.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say your not as experianced at carbs as you said ya was earlier.

I still think its your needle. How did it run? its not gonna just run real lean from moving the needle one notch.. If the problem got worse, go the other way with the needle.

I wouldnt doubt ya got the fuel air screw or some other screw that ya wasnt suppose to touch all screwed up also.

Its easy man you can do it, just do it with some sort of system, small adjustments at a time.

nakomis0
04-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Id also try and find out the stock adjustment for the fuel air screw and get that back in place if you messed with that at all.

Sparks425Ex
04-15-2003, 07:30 AM
I do not think you are as experianced with carbs as you think or thought...

For where you are sputtering and bogging the Piolet jetand needle control that.

It may also be how high the clip is on the needle. The 4th clip seems high for what you are doing..

Trying lowering the needle clip and then the piolet jet...

MIKE400EX
04-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Did you make sure the float level is set correctly?

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 08:14 AM
umm...3 of you said the samething, I am expirenced with carbs, and I do know what to do and what not, most of it is common sense, this quad has not been working for a while now and i am starting to get ticked off, I also think it is my needle, although i have taken everything apart, and i am not going to do it again, I have had to get a small magent screw driver and work on ***** that is small as hell, I will not sit here and be insulted about something that is not true, i know my ***** and have been dealing with these things for a long time now, there arent many things to get mixed up, so i did not touch any wrong screws
sparks425, i do understand you said what the person above said "you are not expirenced" well shove it, i would like to see you fix this, i have done everything possible to this Carb, there isnt much left to do, and I have the expirence to do anything with it, nothing is working

I appreciate all the help the others gave me, I am continuing to fix it as everyone posts, every now and then I will come back to see if anything new comes up,

the needle is my only problem, the pilot is fine, in runs good around 1/8 throttle, but after that (the needle) it bogs

I also new that was a hose clamp but could not get the right word:D thanks for the info, i have to pick one up.

Also, it now has nothing to do with the fuel/air screw, I have trialed and errored this whole time and nothing...although it did seem to get a bit better when i went up on the needle, I thank guy400 for that advice

the pilot jet does not need to be lowered, if you are thinking of the actual pilot jet, you would only want to raise it to a 40 or 42

when you say "the 4th clip on the needle is high" what do you mean? you count down from the top, and the top clip is #1, so 4 down is the 4th clip...at least with the 300ex

thank you all, if you have nothing else to add, its alright, its going to the dealer, i have no more time:o :rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
04-15-2003, 08:22 AM
:uhoh:

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 08:27 AM
when did you join in july uglymotha?

UglyMotha™
04-15-2003, 08:42 AM
like around the 6th:o

why do you ask:confused2

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 09:04 AM
why does the e-washer in the dyno jet kit go above the e-clip???

i need to know if I am setting this up right, the washer jsut flips off as soon as I put it on and pin the throttle, doesnt make any sense, and is the top groove #1? thats what i thought, correct me if I am wrong

Doibugu2
04-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
well i did what guy said, and wow, it didnt work, infact it jsut ran lean as heck, it smelt like crap to, and now i got a headache:p

so i am changing it back, and made an appointment with my dealer, this is just to much trouble, i have tried everything, i dont even think my dealer can handle this, i just do not know what went wrong

i also broke this tightener that goes around the small boot on the carb to the cylinder, any ideas where to pick one of these? things arent working out, and my april vacation is going going and soon to be gone

How old are U? You claim your experienced yet cannot get your quad to run. Then you claim you doubt your dealer can fix it. Is your quad so unique no one can fix it?

If you changed your needle 1 notch, there is no way you went from extreme rich to extreme lean. You had to adjust something else or you have some other problem.

zephead400ex
04-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Well...here is my $.02! I worked on a Warrior for about 3 months having the exact same problems. I came to the conclusion of it was something electrical b/c I had done 'everything' else. Well, being my self I never took the carb completely off and cleaned that mofo very well. I assembled everything and WOW, it runs good now!

Just a suggestions, dont gotta get all bent out of shape (like you needle probably is)!

Where is my $5?haha

peace

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 09:47 AM
zhead400ex

I will give you 5 dollars if that is the problem, thanks for the advice:p

as for, dobigu or something, why is not possible to be expirenced and not be able to have your quad run? that is not a correct arrgument, either way, I said i have expirence with Carbs and I do, i have been in and out of them for a year and a half now, and notice I say expirenced, not expert, I think you may have the 2 mixed up, I am and have not been flaming this whole time, I hope we still walk away not cursing eachother, I am willing to work around you if that is what you would like, I am 15 soon to be 16 honest...
for someone so uptight it seems you can't take a joke, I said jokingly that i doubt my dealer will fix it, becasue everyone knows dealers are dumb, well at least the salesmen:D

as for making something run extremly lean, I did not say that, it was however lean, one, i put the clip uip, and 2 I turned down the fuel screw, the plug shows that it was once black a wet, now is not, I am at the verge of figuring this out, bare with me

i thank all of you for your patience

Does the e-washer go above the e-clip?
and does the very top groove on the needle stand for the first groove? thanks

bsb64
04-15-2003, 10:02 AM
300exrider02......
Looks like these guys have given you enough answers to get on your way. Read this page and learn it like your life depended on it, IMO. If you're gonna be a rider than you have to know this chit or your quad will be disabled half the time, or you'll be getting ripped by some mechanic who really doesn't care about your machine like you do.

http://victorylibrary.com/tech/mikuni-2.htm

The internet has tons of info, easy to edumacate yoself :cool:

nakomis0
04-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Im not sure anout the washer your talking about.

But lets see if Guy400 told you to lower the needle and it worked a little better.. then lower the needle some more until it gets right.

Screw looking at your plug when you mess with the needle. Just get it so it runs right.

Doibugu2
04-15-2003, 10:11 AM
300, you have to understand there is know way for me to know if your joking or not. There is no tone conveyed in writing. Thats why you have to use the emotions or "J/K"

Then you don't want me to be mad at you, and the first thing you do is insult my user name.

Now for a tip, its easier to play stupid then say your experienced. You will probably get more info from people if you say you know less than more. People will just assume you know something when maybe you don't. It also doesn't allow people to rip on you.

The washer goes above the clip, don't ask me why, but thats how I did it.

No hard feelings by the way;)

flaneledholes
04-15-2003, 10:52 AM
I didnt have time to read what every one else read, but if your problem is still not fixed, All I can say is, pilot and needle... Probly needle... What type of needle do you have in it? Is it stock? I know the K&n needles are a bit different than stock (much fatter actually).. So, I am sorry, I can not pin point you an answer (makes me mad when someone cant do it for me:D ) but that is all my info I have for you...:)

300EXrider02
04-15-2003, 02:35 PM
thanks guys

and doibugu, when i post, I do not know someones name so i just guessed your name, wasnt trying to insult you:p

400redneck
04-15-2003, 05:11 PM
hay i saw that you have a k@n power kit .. just re reead the directions and start from scratch :Ermm if you need i can scan/email them to you when i get home wed. night( i think i still have mine:D )

300EXrider02
04-16-2003, 02:55 AM
nah, I memorized the power kit instructions, they were pretty broad as well, thanks for the offer

also, its 3 turns out on fuel screw, 4th clip down on needle, and a 128 with pipe and no lid

mudderchic
04-16-2003, 03:24 AM
I was gonna say the main jet, but you already tried that. That's exactly what my 250 did and that was the problem. If i think of anything i'll let you know! (for free :D )

Dan300ex
04-16-2003, 04:42 AM
:ermm: dont suppose you have a sound clip of it doing this?...i wanna hear it......and if i were you...i would go ahead and drop the cash to put in another kit in the carb ...cause maybe...just maybe that k and n isnt working with your setup....even though those aftermarket products are supposed to work with anything....sometimes they just dont....i would use another aftermarket kit in it and see if it does anything different

*shrugs*....just a thought....and maybe a little food for thought.

mudderchic
04-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Have you tried the piolet jet? That may be it.

300EXrider02
04-18-2003, 10:15 AM
ya i t ried the pilot jet to,

as I speak it is at the dealer being fixed, I will call them tommaro and pick it up, thank you all for your help, and if the problem matches any of the sugestions i will give ya 5$, thanks:D

zephead400ex
04-18-2003, 10:44 AM
As I posted earlier in the thread...take off the carb and clean that thing like a mofo! Fixed the problem with the Warrior I was working on...had the exact same problems!