PDA

View Full Version : Predator v. 250r or 400ex

FatBoy Redrider
04-14-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm being tempted by the new predator. i have a trick 250r now but i'm just tired of working on it.

Anyone had their 250r or ex up against a predator yet? if so, what kind of results?

LilGuyOn400ex
04-14-2003, 04:39 PM
i raced one with my 426ex and got killed, it was my 426ex a raptor a banshee a cannondale speed and an ltz 400 and i got 2nd and the raptor killed us all

VegasEx'r
04-14-2003, 04:41 PM
I bought a Pred for my wife (;) ) about 3 weeks ago, and it is nothing short of awesome. You can see what I have done to my 400, and while it is quick, it can't compete w/ the Predator. It is a nice machine. I haven't seen a Pred go head to head w/ a 250, so I don't know how they would compare.

Castor-426ex
04-14-2003, 04:45 PM
i want me some of a predator:devil :eek: :ermm: :(

FatBoy Redrider
04-14-2003, 04:47 PM
So how much faster is it than a 400ex? I had a 440ex and the thing ripped.

Does the predator handle better than or ex?

LilGuyOn400ex
04-14-2003, 05:21 PM
oops... to fix my first post the predator beat everything not the raptor my bad, and it beat a stock 400ex by like a loonnnnggggg ways

jesshamner
04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
I rode my friends predator yesterday and it was a lot quicker than my 400ex. I am sad to say that I actually liked it better than my 400. It had good speed and handling to keep it under control. The only thing is you could feel the extra 30lbs or so when you get it in the air. After a while you probably wouldn't even notice the weight.

QuadJunkies
04-14-2003, 07:34 PM
OK.. We have both and have done a little drag racing, jumping hill climbs... Im gonna tell ya now,everyone is gonna have different opinions on this new quad, and alot depends on a riders skills too, but personally, on the trails the predator simply kicks ***!!:cool: no doubt about it, you point it where you want it to go and it takes you there,the suspention is good, it flat out hauls butt,and it has beat a Raptor,Ive talked to one guy that told me it beat his R in a drag,it will kill my 400ex :eek: ..The only complaint right now is its needing some get up in 1st gear, I have a few picks of a hill climb over the week end of it drag racing a Z400 and an hill climd with the Raptor, I cant wait until summer,we have a big Drag event coming up at the local dunes over Fathers day, I should have some awesome pics then...Its a bit tougher to wheelie, but it can be done ,just takes a bit more and more practice than on a 400ex does...There is alot of good in all the quads refered to here, and they are all different and alot depends on a persons personal preference and how they feel on each quad also IMO..Once we get the pipe on the Predator it should really wake that baby up and I think it will be a tough one to beat and the price is right too...

QuadJunkies
04-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by FatBoy Redrider
I'm being tempted by the new predator. i have a trick 250r now but i'm just tired of working on it.

Anyone had their 250r or ex up against a predator yet? if so, what kind of results? Oh, I forgot to mention...... My 400ex has a better start than our Predator has, but it just kicks its butt when in mid..

Castor-426ex
04-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Tina i want me some of that predator

if i cant win ill just stroke my 426 to the biggest size known to man:D :eek: :eek: :eek2: :eek2:

QuadJunkies
04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
Tina i want me some of that predator

if i cant win ill just stroke my 426 to the biggest size known to man:D :eek: :eek: :eek2: :eek2: Well, darlin...bring it on down and lets do a good ole fashion drag race..:blah it would be a good excuse to get you down here for a visit too!

stiffy
04-15-2003, 03:46 AM
How much are the Pred's runnin?

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
04-15-2003, 04:16 AM
You will think that I am lying but I got my predator out the door for $5300!I love my bike and I have raced every quad make except the honda 250R I raced the LT250 and I won but I cant take away credit those old bikes haul @$$!

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
04-15-2003, 04:16 AM
You will think that I am lying but I got my predator out the door for $5300!I love my bike and I have raced every quad make except the honda 250R I raced the LT250 and I won but I cant take away credit those old bikes haul @$$!

FatBoy Redrider
04-15-2003, 04:23 AM
I was quoted 5200 + tax.

QuadJunkies
04-15-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
You will think that I am lying but I got my predator out the door for $5300!I love my bike and I have raced every quad make except the honda 250R I raced the LT250 and I won but I cant take away credit those old bikes haul @$$! 5300.00!!:eek: WOW. you got one heck of a deal then.:cool: I paid 5999 for mine and got a 3800.00 in a trade for my 300ex so I think I still did really well..;)

VegasEx'r
04-15-2003, 07:09 AM
When I was shopping for mine, I did some research on the Predator discussion forum, and it seems like the best prices are in the midwest & eastern part of the country, so I can believe 5,300 in OH. I searched all through NV, CA, AZ, & UT & the best price I could find was 5,900 OTD.
Quadjunkies said it all about the Pred. It is an awesome machine. Before I bought mine, I was talking to a couple guys @ Dumont about their Pred's, and they both said it was kind of "Banshee-ish". I think I know what they mean now. If you drag race it, it will pull okay through the bottom end, but when it gets into the mid range, it suddenly jumps to life & starts to pull REAL hard. It likes to stay near the top of the RPM range, and you can't lug it up a hill like you can a 400ex. The suspension & handling are awesome. It is so plush, and you point it in a direction, and that's where you go.

FatBoy Redrider
04-15-2003, 07:13 AM
It seems like with that low first gear and powerful second gear you could lug it up a hilll. I only rode it for a few minutes. Being able to bog it right down and have it keep accelerating up hills is one of my main concerns. that is what I love about my R. you can just keep going and going when you are up hills.

I hope the predator is the same but now I'm concerned after that last post.

QuadJunkies
04-15-2003, 07:27 AM
It seems like with that low first gear and powerful second gear you could lug it up a hilll. I only rode it for a few minutes. Being able to bog it right down and have it keep accelerating up hills is one of my main concerns. that is what I love about my R. you can just keep going and going when you are up hills.

I hope the predator is the same but now I'm concerned after that last post. The Predator is an awesome hill climber!!! ITs a bit like the Cdale, it likes to be revved.:D If you are one who likes to just putt around and ride at lower RPMS, then this is not the quad for that type of rider for sure...Vegas Ex'R is right..its a bit like a Shee, its a lil less torque from the take off, but in the mid look out and nothing a pipe cant fix... itsa screamer for sure. Ill have to post a few pics I have here, I posted them earlier this week in the open forum too....

FatBoy Redrider
04-15-2003, 07:50 AM
My dealer has that Polaris pipe on the ones they are selling. He said it was night and day for low end with the pipe. It looks like it is just a White Bros. pipe with the Polaris name on it. I loved my WB pipe on my EX. Any other companies selling pipes for the predator? I would like to see some dyno tests on them

QuadJunkies
04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
My dealer has that Polaris pipe on the ones they are selling. He said it was night and day for low end with the pipe. It looks like it is just a White Bros. pipe with the Polaris name on it. I loved my WB pipe on my EX. Any other companies selling pipes for the predator? I would like to see some dyno tests on them Basically all of them are getting ready to put there pipes out.Trinity has one..it looks real purdy too.. I post a pic of it... Yoshi has one , Im real curious about that one. I love my Yoshi system on my Ex's... HMF ect... the superbike shop has something out too that seems to be a BIG hit..... Trinity claims to add 6-7 HP with theres,but who really knows.....

QuadTrix6
04-15-2003, 08:16 AM
any recalls or updates or problems with the predator yet ?

QuadJunkies
04-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
any recalls or updates or problems with the predator yet ? I have a feeling there will be one on the Master Cylinder...Polaris is working on this issue as we speak, its not of a major concern, but Break pads do tenmd to rub and they will be having to change the siebox lid desing too I think,the seat puts a hole in it... just small stuff so far.. I have a really awesome dealer and a couple of good contacts for the Predator who will keep me up to date on any changes...

frogburner
04-15-2003, 09:47 AM
99% Rider
1% Bike

FatBoy Redrider
04-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Agreed, but a great handling and good motor help.

stiffy
04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
VEGASEX'R, So did you end up getting it in NV? They seem to be cool from what everyone says but I'm not sure if I like the plastics on it:ermm:

seven
04-15-2003, 11:55 AM
I haver dragged a predator with my R and it was heads up. I got him off the line and he cought up and stayed side by side. I have a CT prepped 310 cylinder on mine with pipe,carb,rad valve. His predator was stock. Pretty good for a stock bike.

balla250ex
04-15-2003, 12:54 PM
I don't see how any one can not like the plastics on a pred. Those things are so sweet...Yet I am a lil timid that it might not be as reliable as a Honda. I don't wanna keep spending money on it. I think I will wait about a year or so before I make up my mind.

trx400ex
04-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by frogburner
99% Rider
1% Bike

I dont beleive this and anyone who has had both a stock and a full on race bike can tell you that the bike makes alot fo difference, not all the difference, but alot. I am alot faster on my 400 since i built it, and it has made me a better rider because now im not scared to try somethings i was on the stock suspension.......my friend has a couple new preds and i cant wait to ride with him...im sure they will whoop my fully built 425, but mine is def. lighter..

seven
04-15-2003, 03:10 PM
I agree, you can go faster on a race preped bike.
75% rider 25% bike

FatBoy Redrider
04-15-2003, 03:14 PM
well i posted my R on ebay. i think its time for me to move back to a 4 stroke. I think it will be a predator since honda is never going to make anything but a 400ex

nosinjcted
04-15-2003, 03:50 PM
well i posted my R on ebay. i think its time for me to move back to a 4 stroke. I think it will be a predator since honda is never going to make anything but a 400ex

My friend just picked up a new predator last tuesday, Im tempted to sell my 400 also. Does anyone know if honda has any intentions of building a better bike then a 400ex. I'd love to stay with Honda but that predator is pretty tempting.

440exnacsracer
04-15-2003, 04:15 PM
yall are finally realizing the predators power!!!!:devil i have a 440ex with loads of mods and goodies and it doesnt handle NEAR as good or go near as fast...i do wish my predator had the bottom end the 440 does though..but that can be fixed:devil i rode my friends the night he got it, ordered mine the following day, and picked it up the next. the ONLY thing that has beatin me in a drag race is a KX250 and he didnt pull away as fast as i thought he would...in 200 yards, only like 3-4 bike lenghts. beaten modified craptors, modified shees...and heres another example....i raced a 400ex with a full yoshi system, gave him a 3 second head start and caught him in another 3. another thing for the predator owners...go buy a k&n air filter and take your baffle out, then drill holes in the bottom of your airbox and put those little filters in it.....little mods make this thing way faster...w/o the baffle, this thing sounds ba and has better throttle response. and for those of you who think raptors are better wheeliers...wrong. on a good day i can ride wheelies about 70 yards on my buddies raptor, on my predator, i can ride them about 400 yards. anyway, go ride one, and buy one or keep waitin on a 450ex:blah :D :p

Narly R
04-15-2003, 04:35 PM
I saw get a r or ex and put a crf450 in that motha!!!!!!

Because a Peditor will always be a POLARIS, no madder how many exriders stickers you put on it!!!!!!!!!:D MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I roost preditors, when there parked!!!!!!!!!

I think they have trouble gettin past the ol' 350 now!!!!!! I have to race a modded raptor,banshee, and predsuctor!:huh Or anything that rolls my way.........................:devil

QuadJunkies
04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
I saw get a r or ex and put a crf450 in that motha!!!!!!

Because a Peditor will always be a POLARIS, no madder how many exriders stickers you put on it!!!!!!!!!:D MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I roost preditors, when there parked!!!!!!!!!

I think they have trouble gettin past the ol' 350 now!!!!!! I have to race a modded raptor,banshee, and predsuctor!:huh Or anything that rolls my way.........................:devil Everyone has there likes and dislikes about whatever is out there, we used to feel that way about ole Suzuki, but look how they are doing now:eek: :cool: ... I think any manufactuere has room to improve and the Z400 is a good example of that;) ..Like I have said before, I dont think is a good or bad in most quads out there,its all in what you want in a quad, and how you feel on it, and what you mainly want it for..I love my Honda, but Im also not afraid to try something new... Hey SEVEN, how was Corys duning trip to St. A's? Did he have good weather? Did you hear how the Predator did on the dunes?

twisted threads
04-15-2003, 10:48 PM
I will race a predator next time at the dunes on my R and I will let you know how far back there it was.:devious: ;)
I would like to ride a Predator and see how it feels. My buddy just got a Z400 the other day and I really like it. There are lots of people on this sight that say the Z400 isnt much better that a stock 400ex but I think it is(speed only) and Im a diehard honda fan So I bet that Predator Rips!

VegasEx'r
04-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by stiffy
VEGASEX'R, So did you end up getting it in NV? They seem to be cool from what everyone says but I'm not sure if I like the plastics on it:ermm:

I got it in Richfield, UT. A little bit of a drive, but I saved about $800, so it was worth it. As far as plastics go, I got rid of all the warning stickers & cut the front fenders, and it looks bad-a now.

seven
04-16-2003, 12:40 AM
I agree that the plastic and seat are not to good. I think if i had one I would change the plastic out.

QuadJunkies
04-16-2003, 02:30 AM
full bore is making plastics as we speak and will be introducing sometime in June I believe~~ Twisted Threads~~ maybe Troy will let you taker her for a spin !!:D Its fell is alot dif. from the 400ex..VegasEX'r~~Lets see those race cuts!!:blah I did em too...

dunkfan_19
04-16-2003, 03:17 PM
a friend of mine has a predator and i will give it credit it is fast but........everything is like made of plastic on it even the oil tank is plastic so just imagine if u would roll or wreck on of them and how much stuff would break and not to mention it's american made i think and parts will cost a pretty penny...........just my opinion though.........:D

QuadJunkies
04-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dunkfan_19
a friend of mine has a predator and i will give it credit it is fast but........everything is like made of plastic on it even the oil tank is plastic so just imagine if u would roll or wreck on of them and how much stuff would break and not to mention it's american made i think and parts will cost a pretty penny...........just my opinion though.........:D Wel, I will agree with you on one thing. if rumor is true, a guy I saw needed some new TLD plastic and new graphics, and was told they will cost him close to 1000.00!!:eek: now THAT is outragious!!!but, I did see a TLD Predator roll about 5-6 times down a hill this last wk end,. and I was surprised.. the plastic did not have one crack in it..;) ( I expected it would) The bars were toast as well as he steering stem bent, but heck, how many of us have had that happen:o ..

04-16-2003, 04:06 PM
id say if ur gonan race mx or ride mx or xc go with a R or ex if u just wanna ride stockt he predator be fine, i dont care how good it handles or how much power weight is a factor no matter what

VegasEx'r
04-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
id say if ur gonan race mx or ride mx or xc go with a R or ex if u just wanna ride stockt he predator be fine, i dont care how good it handles or how much power weight is a factor no matter what

I certainly am not doing any jumping like Wired is, but I have found that my Pred is much easier to control than my ex. Of course, if you drop 2-3k+ into the ex for aftermarket shocks, a-arms, etc. that may not be the case, but if you compare apples to apples, a stock ex or r can't compete w/ a stock Predator.

Originally posted by dunkfan_19
a friend of mine has a predator and i will give it credit it is fast but........everything is like made of plastic on it even the oil tank is plastic so just imagine if u would roll or wreck on of them and how much stuff would break and not to mention it's american made i think and parts will cost a pretty penny...........just my opinion though.........

Agreed that the plastic throttle needs to go. The oil tank is fairly well protected, but you make a good point about it. Time will tell, I guess. The swingarm skid looks pretty solid, while the underbody skid does not. I decided during my last trip to the dunes to test it out, so I hit a soft patch of sand & flipped my quad. Luckily :confused:, I didn't get completely out of the way, so I was able to break the quads fall with my legs (who says 400+ lbs landing on you hurts? Whoever it was, they were right). I was surprised that the bars weren't bent, but the right rear fender was cracked pretty badly :( . Replacement rear fenders are $170 online, but I don't want the first modification to be replacing the plastic, so that will wait. Fortunately, the plastic is the same color as duct tape :eek2: :blah [/sarcasm off]

QuadJunkies
04-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
I certainly am not doing any jumping like Wired is, but I have found that my Pred is much easier to control than my ex. Of course, if you drop 2-3k+ into the ex for aftermarket shocks, a-arms, etc. that may not be the case, but if you compare apples to apples, a stock ex or r can't compete w/ a stock Predator.

Agreed that the plastic throttle needs to go. The oil tank is fairly well protected, but you make a good point about it. Time will tell, I guess. The swingarm skid looks pretty solid, while the underbody skid does not. I decided during my last trip to the dunes to test it out, so I hit a soft patch of sand & flipped my quad. Luckily :confused:, I didn't get completely out of the way, so I was able to break the quads fall with my legs (who says 400+ lbs landing on you hurts? Whoever it was, they were right). I was surprised that the bars weren't bent, but the right rear fender was cracked pretty badly :( . Replacement rear fenders are $170 online, but I don't want the first modification to be replacing the plastic, so that will wait. Fortunately, the plastic is the same color as duct tape :eek2: :blah [/sarcasm off] Can you imagione paying what. im assuming around 700-800.00 for TLD plastic?:eek2: :huh Thats what polaris told this one guy I saw a posting on it.sorry to hear about you rolling, I am amxious to see how it handles at St. A's this summer.The guy who rolled hie hear was on rocky hard pack no helmet and his GF on the back with no helmet..no gear...grrr stupid people ... They are just plain lucky ....quad and all.......

VegasEx'r
04-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Can you imagione paying what. im assuming around 700-800.00 for TLD plastic?:eek2: :huh Thats what polaris told this one guy I saw a posting on it.sorry to hear about you rolling, I am amxious to see how it handles at St. A's this summer.The guy who rolled hie hear was on rocky hard pack no helmet and his GF on the back with no helmet..no gear...grrr stupid people ... They are just plain lucky ....quad and all.......

What a jackarse. I guess that if someone isn't smart enough to wear a helmet, they don't have anything in their head worth protecting anyways. It always gets me PO'd when I see two people riding on one quad over difficult terrain. If/when they get hurt, it'll be the rest of us who suffer.

balla250ex
04-17-2003, 12:09 PM
I happen to like them plastics on the predator. I think they look good. The nearest Polaris dealer round these parts is like 45 minutes away.

blueskyy
03-14-2004, 07:39 AM
oh yea beat this 5,254.18 otd getting it this tuesday after the brake lines get fixed