PDA

View Full Version : ...paint stripper...?

"BLAHH"300!!
04-14-2003, 09:23 AM
...hey, when i get this thing taken' apart, what can i use to get the stock paint off.
i've tried paint thinner already, but it didn't do much.

is there any soluiton that will make the paint "melt off" with a little elbow grease?

what about that air-craft stripeer you guys use on your engine cases. will that work?....where can i buy it..

post tips.

Pvt. Maggot
04-14-2003, 09:55 AM
air craft stripper...walmart. :devil

madmike300ex
04-15-2003, 09:21 AM
yes walmart air craft stripper is the way to go you dont have to do anything to it just spray it on and let it sit

skinrider440
04-15-2003, 09:27 AM
i just sand blasted mine

CBW
04-15-2003, 10:55 AM
i use the brush on kind,,,,,,bout 25-30 per gallon

"BLAHH"300!!
04-16-2003, 11:48 AM
and this is for stripping paint off the frame right?
..not the cases.

CBW
04-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
and this is for stripping paint off the frame right?
..not the cases.

i use it for both

Woodsrider
04-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Chris what camera do you have? Even the pics of everyday crap turn out nice. Do you have a "star filter" on the lens of that thing or what? Or do I need to move to that Colorado sunshine?:D

CBW
04-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Chris what camera do you have? Even the pics of everyday crap turn out nice. Do you have a "star filter" on the lens of that thing or what? Or do I need to move to that Colorado sunshine?:D

Pack your bags and come on out:D

Anyhow the camera is a Sony DSC-P51 It was about $300.00. Not real expensive,,,,,,,and takes great pics:p

Woodsrider
04-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks Chris I am goin Shoppin!:D :D

danney f
04-17-2003, 08:43 PM
I just put the parts in my oven and burn it off, it all turns to ash. than it is a piece of cake to sand blast the metal to a perfect finish for for recoating.

"BLAHH"300!!
04-17-2003, 09:21 PM
....went to waly world today, they didn't have aircraft stripper like in the pics above.
a guy told me that everyone come's in and buys this "DADS" stuff.
i bought it, this stuff is THICK!! i sprayed a little on the pegs just to see it work, and before i could set the bottle down, all the paint had schriveld up and, i wiped if off with a towel.
i thought i'd have to sand a little ya' know....i just sprayed the "dads" on, let it sit, then sprayed it all off with a water hose.
bare metal..i can even see where the metal changed color's from welding it all together....
...oh and and it burns like fdskja when you get it on your skin.
i thought i was gettin eat by ant's..
...."come on baby light my fire"....

this saved me alot of money in prep work at the paint shop.

thanx for the help

Woodsrider
04-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Blahh, You will find that it will work fine for the paint, but once you try it on powdercoated parts it isn't up to the job.

The best place to try to find the Aircraft stripper is an auto body supply store.

"BLAHH"300!!
04-18-2003, 05:56 AM
....if the frame is powder coated from the factory, then it stripps powder too.

i'm lookin' at bare metal man....i did have to get out a scrub brush to get the paint from around a few of the welds.
if it was a flat piece of metal, with no welds, it came of with me spray on, wash off.

hopefull i can get it up to the body shop sometime today..
...white pearl...sweet....

Woodsrider
04-18-2003, 07:06 AM
The frames are painted from the factory, and I have used Dads before and if you try to take off PC with it your in for a lot of work. I am not flaming you, just sayin. White pearl will look pretty cool. youll have to get some pics up when its all done and back together.

Rip_Tear
04-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Wow that stuff sounds like it works awsome! I am getting a sandblaster, I figured I might aswell just get one, sand is like $6 for 50lbs!!!! :eek: And the sand blaster is going to be just less then $200 (this is all Canadian prices too!) My dad said he would probaly buy the sand blaster because he would get me to blast some of his stuff... Then I can start buying PC!!! I cant wait till next year, or maybe this september!

danney f
04-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Make sure yo don't buy Silca Sand, it contains free silica which can cause SILICOSIS of the lung and delayed lung injury. A cheap very effective replacement for silica sand is called Black Magnum. That is all I use for most standard rust and paint removal jobs unless they require something special. Than I use glass beads.