PDA

View Full Version : floats? float bowl?

300EXrider02
04-14-2003, 08:38 AM
this is a dumb question, since i have taken apart my carb many times, but I have been having a probem with my Carb, form starting throttle to mid throttle it bogs, hesitates, chokes, sputters, everything, then when full throttle it is fine...so some people have been saying, my flaots are sticking, or out of line and stuff like this, please explain these floats and what they look like, and how they are supposed to be, and how do I know if there sticking? thanks a lot, i really need help asap:grr

UglyMotha™
04-14-2003, 08:50 AM
the pilot jet controls throttle to about 1/4 and can also give you the cold starting blues i don't think the float has anything to do with your problem, but i could be wrong

wilkin250r
04-14-2003, 09:22 AM
if your quad runs good at WOT, the problem is not your floats.

The carburetor works because of certain properties of moving gases. When a gas moves in one direction, it causes a low pressure area (vacuum) in the areas perpendicular to the flow. Basically, if you have gases moving over a hole, it will create a suction through that hole. If that hole leads down to a liquid, it will suck the liquid through the hole, and the liquid will mix with the moving gases. This is your fuel/air mixture.

In a carburetor, the bottom of that hole is your main jet, and the "bowl" where the fuel sits. So, gas flows down from your fuel tank into the bowl. If it was just a straight shot, the fuel tank would fill the bowl until it overflowed, flooding your carburetor and drowning your engine. This is where the float come in.

The floats, as the name implies, float in this bowl full of fuel. When the fuel level rises, so do the floats. The floats are attached to a little thing called the float valve, which acts as a plug against the fuel line. When the fuel level increases, the floats rise, and push the float valve against the fuel line and don't allow any more fuel to get in. Then, as your caburetor sucks the fuel out into your engine, the fuel level and the floats drop, which pulls the valve open so more fuel can come in.

The floats are hollow plastic things. It's kinda hard to describe them other than "floats" and they sit in the bowl with a pin at one end so they pivot. Try looking at a parts diagram in a repair manual or online, I know www.partsfish.com and www.sevicehonda.com both have excellent parts diagrams.

wilkin250r
04-14-2003, 09:24 AM
I tipe reel goood. www.servicehonda.com

300EXrider02
04-14-2003, 10:13 AM
thanks a lot man, I will check it out