PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400EX king of the drag strip?!?

wilkin250r
04-14-2003, 04:58 AM
I was out at the dunes this weekend, and my girlfriend was on the drag hill. Her quad is all stock exept for a Q-series slip-on pipe (and handlebars, which adds another 28hp I'm sure). She is still running the stock air filter, airbox lid, stock piston and compression, stock cam, everything.

She beat a 416, and was keeping up with a 440.

How is this possible? :huh

I don't mean to put her down, but I know that she's not spot on with her shifting, keeping her weight in exactly the right place for best traction, she's not a pro. Also, it's not like she's 85 lbs, I really don't think weight is the factor here.

Am I missing something? I would assume that anybody that gets a 416 or 440 would also upgrade to a high comp piston and aggressive cam. Even the 416 should SMOKE my girl's 400EX by 20 bike lengths up this drag hill.

Give me some feedback on this, I'm a little confused.

EXDUNER127
04-14-2003, 05:16 AM
How do u know that they were a 440 and a 416, because even if they had a bad start there bottom end would kick in and eat her up....I dont believe they had built motors or maybe they were just letting her win cus shes a girl....????

Doibugu2
04-14-2003, 05:24 AM
My bike is all stock and I raced Rymt1 from this site this weekend. He has a 416 and he smoked me everytime. I even beat him off the line a couple of times and by the time I hit third gear he was well on his way to passing me. It usually ended with him beating me by 10 bikes or so.

UglyMotha™
04-14-2003, 05:26 AM
maybe they were staying behind to stare at her ***;)

i've done it before:uhoh:

Pappy
04-14-2003, 05:26 AM
dont underestimate power to weight......

especially in sand:cool:

and keep an eye on your woman ....maybe they let her win as an excuse to chit chat afterwards:eek: :blah

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 05:37 AM
Sand can be tricky... I know in Glamis getting pass the woops at a fast pace is a good factor of winning... I hate when I hit a whoop wrong cause it just throws me outta wack when dragging up a hill......

oregonrider89
04-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Good point about the woops Str8Wicked. My guess is they were letting her win, and checkin' her out as she went. .:D

oregonrider89

ridesa02400EX
04-14-2003, 06:25 AM
maybe she was wearng a thong and it was stickin out:)

Merriman
04-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Yeah, don't under estimate the power of the whoop. I've beaten alot of bikes with my stock 400ex just because I can pin it through the whoops while other not so experienced riders have to ease there way through them, then gun it trying to catch me. Unfortunately alot of bikes are faster than mine so it ends up a good race at the top of the hill.

I'm not sure what the guys problems were though? You can't break the cardinal rule:

NEVER LOSE TO A GIRL.:D :macho

wilkin250r
04-14-2003, 09:15 AM
There where a couple whoops at the bottom of the hill, but I don't think that was the deciding factor.. This drag hill is pretty high, it takes a good 25 sec to reach the top, and you get past the whoops in the first 8 sec. She didn't pull ahead by 5 lengths just in the whoops. On this particular LOOONG drag hill, the race is usually not won off the line or in the shifting. You're usually done shifting before you are halfway up the mountain, races are won by power alone, unless it's really close or you are racing a complete moron.

I talked to the guy with the 440 because I raced him with my 250r and I was wondering what he was packing in the engine. He said he had an XR400 cam, a 440 kit, and a Ricky Carmichael exhaust.

UglyMotha™
04-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
and a Ricky Carmichael exhaust.

what in gods name is that:huh :confused2

EXDUNER127
04-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Yah what the he** is that...By the way ugly everytime I see u post that baby pic cracks me up.lol

wilkin250r
04-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I have no idea what a Ricky Carmicheal exhaust is, but that's what he said he has on it.

The biggest problem with all of this is my girlfriend thinks "Wow, he beat me with a Ricky Carmicheal exhaust, so that's what I want" or "Wow, I don't want a 416" or "down one tooth in the front and up one in the rear will make your quad faster" or some other idiot saying god knows what. She thinks that putting a Yoshimura pipe on her quad will make it faster than my 250r because some idiot at the bike shop says it will. Yeah, it will be faster than the POS pipe she has on, but it still won't beat my R. And yes, down one tooth in the front and up one in the rear will make it faster out of the corners, but not flat out or up drag hill, which is all she cares about.

Chino
04-14-2003, 10:52 AM
You mean you guys have never heard of or own the Ricky Carmicheal exhaust wtf wrong with you guys.!!!! i just traded my ricky exhaust in for a bill ballance shorty and it rocks!!!:eek2:

ChadEXer
04-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Is she pretty?;)

wilkin250r
04-15-2003, 05:34 AM
I can't believe they were letting her win just because of her looks.

UglyMotha™
04-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I can't believe they were letting her win just because of her looks.

why?, is she fugly:huh

wilkin250r
04-15-2003, 06:04 AM
If I was racing some hot chick up the mountain, and she was on a stock quad, I'd beat her by only one bike length, so that she'd want to race again, then I'd start chatting her up. These guys just lost, and left.