PDA

View Full Version : Drank to much.... Need Help!

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 04:48 AM
I drank to much last weekend and decided it would be smart to start p[olishing my stock axel. It's actually coming out pretty good..

My question is how hard is to take the axel out. Do I need any special tools to remove the hubs, and other parts...

Any info would help...

Ernie

YLW400
04-14-2003, 04:53 AM
You will need 2 wrenches large enough to take off the 2 axle nuts. One to hold one of them, while you turn the other one. Thats about the only thing out of the norm that you need if I remember right. The hubs are on there with a large nut, take the cotter pin out, loosen the nut, and the whole wheel should come right off.

Doibugu2
04-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Isn't one of reverese threaded? I'm talking out of my as s here, being I have never taken one off. But I thought I remembered someone saying that something is reverse threaded.

YLW400
04-14-2003, 05:08 AM
Yes they are left hand thread. You have the back the inside one toward the swingarm, bring the other one over to it, then take that little snap ring out before you can get them off....We found out the hard way they were left hand thread......lol

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 05:28 AM
so how long would it take me to get the thing off and back on... I just am not sure if I should start pulling it apart because I will be leaving Thursday night to Glamis and don't want to have the bike not ready.

YLW400
04-14-2003, 05:35 AM
I would say a half an hour.....if you know what you are doing. Maybe an hour, if you dont. hour on and an hour off...... Another word of advice, get a RAD locking nut from C&D when you have time to kill. After we took my axle off and swapped it out with a Lonestar, I could never keep the axle nuts tight. The RAD nut threads on, then you tighten a set screw....way better than the stock deal. Keep checking the tightness of the axle nuts though. You are probably supposed to (not sure) put loc-tite in there..We didn't. Hope this helped.

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 05:38 AM
Well I'll just be taking off the stock one and putting it back on... Will I still have problems with the lock nut...

04-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Well I'll just be taking off the stock one and putting it back on... Will I still have problems with the lock nut...

Here's my advice ernie.....get on the horn and order an aftermarket axle nut..meszaro's dual pinch axle nut seems to be the best one out there.. Reason being is you'll probably destroy the stocker gettin it off and once you brake the mofo loose it will always work it's way loose..unless you wrap electical or duct tape around it. the process is easy..and shouldn't take but about 30 minutes. Removing that axle nut is giong to be your biggest problem..when it's removed..it's a cake walk. And looking at the axle nut from behind the quad..the axlenut closest to the brake rotor..you want to push the wrench down to loosen it...;)

YLW400
04-14-2003, 05:45 AM
exactly :bandit:

toby400ex
04-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Im suprised you dont know this, with all the doodads and whatsits you gots:huh

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Im suprised you dont know this, with all the doodads and whatsits you gots:huh

I learn as I go I guess.... lol

I think I'll waitt han and just paint this axel for now while it's on and save some money for a lonestar.... I really love the new RIS but the price is freakin high and don't know how good they'll hold up...

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 06:10 AM
I think they are listed at $850.00 with everything seen here...

I'll probably go with the lonestar chrome thou, it's been highly tested and it's chrome not polished...

monkeyboy
04-14-2003, 07:08 AM
slapnutz drink 2 much an pukd in a shu box undr da bedd..:(

AtvMxRider
04-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
slapnutz drink 2 much an pukd in a shu box undr da bedd..:(

Wuz his shuz n it?

monkeyboy
04-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Wuz his shuz n it?

noo...minz was:mad: an day wuz ma church shuz..:mad:

JabberJaw
04-14-2003, 07:41 AM
I think the time it takes to complete the job is adversely effected by the fact if you do it before you drink too much... or after!

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I think the time it takes to complete the job is adversely effected by the fact if you do it before you drink too much... or after!

I always drink while I'm in the garage.. I just can't usually tell if I drank to much till the next day.... lol

:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil

JabberJaw
04-14-2003, 07:53 AM
You ever wake up in the garage?

TheChknhwk
04-14-2003, 08:04 AM
:huh Hard not to when there's 2 recliners & a TV, lmao. This is at my uncle's place:D

Str8Wicked
04-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
You ever wake up in the garage?

No, I'm a high class drunk... I find my way at least to a couch.... lol