PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Dune Experience

CHAUNCY
04-13-2003, 05:38 PM
I was wondering what your most memorable dune experience was. It could be crashes, first time at the dunes, whatever you remember best. So dont just sit there get typin'!

Big - D Racing
04-13-2003, 08:43 PM
The trip that always stuck in my head from Glamis was when I was like 10 and my dad and I took our 1981 bone stock Honda 185 ATC up Competition hillin the middle of summer like 110 degrees we were the only ones there. I was on back and he was driving it and since I was on back it put to much weight on the back end and it wheelied up and flipped backwards all the way down comp. Neither one us were hurt but the 3 wheeler had bent bars and forks. That's why I love the dunes, if it were hard packed we would of had someig injuries, but at Glamis the soft sand acts a nice pillow for crashing on.

SAND LUVR
04-14-2003, 09:32 AM
My first time to Glamis sucked. We went around aug 1 around that time and we did not have a motorhome all we had were tents. During the day we would hide under our trucks. I had a kawi 125 dirt bike at the time with no paddle tire. it was 125 degrees out there. We were on gecko and I did not see nobody until the last night we were there. Now I learned my lesson NO GLamis in the summer. I was only 15 at the time.

out4sand
04-14-2003, 10:12 AM
My most memorable ride has to be at St. Anthony's. It was my first trip there and about half way through our stay. We were with a large group of people filled with many different rider abilities, so most of our trips had some beginners riding along. This particular ride was toward dusk and only a handful of the guys who really knew how to ride went out. I think there were 6 of us total. We took off and just started rallying the bowls. I would guess and say that we averaged a screaming 4th gear most of the time but defiantly hit 6th on many occasions. It was the by far the fastest I have every ripped from bowl to bowl to bowl playing follow the leader with next to no stops. As the daylight started to fad and so did the gas in our tanks, we headed back toward where we were camped stopping atop a huge bowl for the one beer that each of us had taken on the ride. Not only was the ride incredible but now we were sipping on a cold brew watching as the sun faded away behind the picture perfect dunes. It was by far a PERFECT ride!

lilpoppy
04-14-2003, 03:23 PM
My most memorable moment was probably the first time I beat a Z400 up comp hill because I had heard so much about how much faster they were than ours. Other than that I would say the very first time I ever rode a quad was on pismo beach and they were rentals. I don't know what kind they were because I didn't know anythig about quads back then but they were the kind of quad you would want on your farm with no suspension and a 250 four stroke engine. Even though it was a huge piece of junk my friend and I had the time of our life riding those things. We had to keep the throttle pinned up the dunes in second gear just to have a chance of making it to the top and if we were lucky we would get two inches of air. Basically that trip is the reason me and my friends are riding today and Pismo still is the most fun I have riding my 400. Of coarse I havn't been to Glamis yet.

airheadedduner
04-14-2003, 05:17 PM
My most memerable experience was when I found this giant natural terrain step up double out at florence. I busted it out over and over to the shock and horror of all the bystanders........................then about 30 min later broke my collor bone skipping a pond WFO in 5th:p :D :p

JabberJaw
04-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I always remember this one trip. It was a cold early morning. Sort of peaceful. I had just woke to the dog licking my face. It kinda made me ill, just knowing that five minutes earlier, he had been using that same tounge for toilet paper.

I briskly jumped to my feet, and started a fresh pot of coffee. There were no doughnuts left, as the dog had gotten hungry during the night, and ate all but a few crumbs, which were subsequently soaked from slobber. So we rode around hungry a bit, then decided to order a pizza. Pizza for breakfast is always good. After looking everywhere for the cell phone, which turned up right where we had left it, still in the truck, we called and ordered a huge, greasy pizza.

We must have waited for what seamed to be days, when suddenly this tall skinny kids walks up and says, "you order a pizza?". We confirmed that we had indeed ordered a pizza, and enquired as to where it was, since he showed up empty handed. He had gotten his ford pinto stuck in the sand trying to drive out to where we had camped.

We offered to help get his car unstuck, but mainly had the pizza in mind. When we got to where he had left his car, it looked like someone else had drove it like they stole it, and then passed it on to him. We pushed for what seemed like an hour, when finally his tires reached solid ground. I for one, was definately ready for pizza.. just as he was getting ready to leave, he said he was so late, we might as well take all the pizza he had.

There we sat, big huge grins on our faces! We now had 5 large pizza's! Hot, and ready to eat. I opened the first box, inside was a huge, fully topped, combination pizza. Then the second box, a meat lovers! We just kept flipping open the boxes, to see what was in the next box.. I finally settled on a stuffed crust xtra pepperoni. I grabbed the biggest piece! Just as I was going to take a bite, I woke... to the dog licking my face!

lilpoppy
04-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Lol I was woundering how you convinced a pizza guy to drive on the beach for a delivery.

Str8Wicked
04-15-2003, 04:41 AM
They are all up there... I think the best was the first time I went to Glamis two years ago for Thanksgiving when the cops used to let everything go crazy... Man Comp would be packed as hell, the drags had the bump at the start where everyone launched... It was a great time... I still think it's just as good now thou....

rhandw69
04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, I have quite a few memorable trips along the Oregon Coast. As a kid I always duned with motorcycles. Last year I had the opportunity to ride with alot of great people (out4sand), but its the times that i take off from camp at 1-2am, and dont get back till the sun comes up that are most memorable. Last Labor day, we went to Sand Lake, and I took off from camp to ride with some gingles and a couple other guys. My wife stayed at camp with the kids. We rode into some unique tree shots, and had fun. One guy headed back to camp and never came back but we wont mention his name (LOL), anyways, we rode for quite some time. We were coming like a bat out of helll up this bowl, and there were a group of bikes parked, well it was my wife riding with a friend from our group of others from our camp. So she hoped on with me, and the 6 of us rode till about 6am. The kids stayed at camp with another adult so we had the whole night to ride. Problem is, when we finally got to bed our littlest one woke up. Made for a long day. That night was so fun because its rare that me and my wife get the chance to ride together alone without the kids.

twisted threads
04-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Im going to half to agree with Out4sand and say that my first time to St. Anthonys was the best dune Experience so far AND I have been to the dune quite a bit. That place Rocks!

Chef
04-16-2003, 03:46 AM
My most memorable dune trip was last July. I had my Banshee, my 400, and my Raptor all down there. At Comp Hill in Florence there was a good sized group of people, a few LRD Raptors, and a LRD Banshee or two. I think there were some other 400's and a DS racing too. I raced the Banshee up first, against the other two Banshee's that were there, and beat them by a good amount. They both had extended swingarms, and looked like they had motor mods done. Then I jumped on the 400 and raced for probably another hour. Raced a few other 400's, killed them by probably 50 feet. Then two of those Raptors and the DS pulled up next to me for a run. One Raptor was all Black, and had about a +4 swingarm, the other had a stock length chrome swingarm and was Blue I think. The DS had all the fenders cut, and an extended swingarm on it. We had a guy who was starting us, and when he raised his first arm, the black Raptor took off. So obviously the rest of us took off after him. He had probably 2 quad lengths of a lead on me, and I pulled about even with the DS and the other raptor, and pulling on the black one. I passed him about 30 feet from the top, and won by like 1 bike length. The next race as soon as I dumped the clutch the bike died, and I was outta gas. with NO RESERVE! :eek: :p

The other most memorable dune ride was last week. I had a 5th gear crash. 2 endos and a bent frame on the Banshee. The next day we straightened that pretty good though. The day after we straightened the frame I went out to comp hill again, and to a crowd of about 50 people, wheelied away from about everything I raced. Couple Raptors, couple Banshees, a fat guy on a DS650, and a KFX.

JhallettEX
04-16-2003, 03:25 PM
This picture should pretty much sum it up........:eek2:

JhallettEX
04-16-2003, 03:31 PM
A week later with my bro trying to take care of me......Finally made it out of the hospital 6 weeks later and after a few surgerys. This happened at Little Saharra, they say I fell 65 feet.

Big - D Racing
04-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Man I think it is time to retire before you kill yourself or maybe stick to riding in front of your campsite, no more dunes for you.:ermm:

CHAUNCY
04-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear about that JhalletEX

D-4our
04-16-2003, 06:28 PM
My most memorable expeirience would be a while back when i had the ol' blaster. I remember goin out to the "far part" of the dunes where all of the "big ones" were. All I can remeber is going down a dune-face for the first time and feeling like it was a roller coaster. then, a few years and a 250r later, Im doing things i never saw myself capable of.

Tell me, have any of you ever seen a bunch of wiery spectators watching some guy jumping thinkin hes king of the hill , and then you save the day by goin in there and jumpin nearly twice as far while doing a trick as you watch the wiery spectators eye's light up and cheer you on. Yeah you know that feeling:D That would also be one of the most memorable things i can think of.

airheadedduner
04-17-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by D-4our

Tell me, have any of you ever seen a bunch of wiery spectators watching some guy jumping thinkin hes king of the hill , and then you save the day by goin in there and jumpin nearly twice as far while doing a trick as you watch the wiery spectators eye's light up and cheer you on. Yeah you know that feeling:D That would also be one of the most memorable things i can think of.
It's even more amusing when that guy is on a dirt bike and you are on your quad;) :p :D :macho Sand...the great equalizer