PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do ??? HELP !

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 08:13 AM
Ok, I just realized, "why didn't I do this a long time ago ?"...

I Trail Ride with My 250X I need new parts for it and that shouldn't be a problem when the spring comes, but I'm going to save my money until then so I have alot to do some more with, I was thinking K&N Jet Kit and Air Filter, and Myabe an EZ Pull Clutch of some kind I don't know much about them, and tires although Ihaven't decided what kind

...what else (can I do / would you do) to make my quad better ?

ANY Suggestions are welcome, ! nothing like "well go buy a 400EX"

12-21-2001, 09:11 AM
New clutch lever/perch/cable wouldn';t be a bad idea,,how much do you want to spend. I"m sure the shocks on that thing are probably wore out,,that would be a very wise investment if you plan on keeping it for a long time..

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 09:32 AM
I'm thinkin ...well hoping that I'll have between 400-500 (canadian)..yes the shock in the back is wore out, the fronts still work great though, what is a good aftermarket rear shock ?? I want something cooshey for the long trail rides...after reading the reviews on this site, I've decide I'm in need of some skid plates

...anything else now that you know the price range ?

12-21-2001, 10:13 AM
i had a friend with a 250x. it was a awesome bike. what he did was put a pipe on it and 1 tooth larger and i think some kind of racing tires, like shredder or razor i dont know cause i cant tell them apart. and they thing was bad. i love riding it through trails
what i recomend you not go by people opinions on here all the time. most peple say they got something and they really dont. then you make them prove that they have it. they send you a picture. HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS THEM OR NOT???!?!?!
anyways what i told my little cuz cause he has a 250EX and he was wanting my opinion cause i been around them more. and i told him the same thing i am teling you buy what you want buy what you think sounds the best buy what you think gives you the most power or buy soemting you are going to use,

what i am trying to say if you cant think what to get for your own quad you are sorry. just get what you like and what you think llooks the best and performs the best.

i am not tryoing to go off on you i am ttrying to give you tips. most people on here dont have what they say they have.,. then they give tips that arent really worth a couple of hundred dollars.

oh schism_rhs i think you can decide what tires to get on your own cant you . i think you can decide if you need a skid plate, or a smaller tooth sproket for trail rides, or even if you need new shocks they are no use replaces the shocks if the are not broken. is there? correct me if i am wrong..

hey schism_rhs i didnt mean to offend you if i did i am sorry.
it is just i seen alot of people get lied to in other forums and they go out and buy it and then wine why they bought it and wish they got something else.

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 10:32 AM
We'll, about the tires I never said I wanted oppinions on them, I just said I haven't decided yet, incase anyone was going to ask me what kind I was going to get, I said about the skid plates because I have decided that I DO want them, I made that pretty clear in my post ! My rear shock, as i said, IS worn out..I didn't ask if I should get one I asked what is a good one trying to get suggestions I'm not going to jump on the first answer !...your friends 250X sounds nice but it sounds like he set it up for racing, not really trail riding which is what I'm asking about and the only real mod on it is a pipe aside from the sprocket...thank you for all your warnings but truthfulley people on this forum seem to be pretty truthful about what they have...they actually don't lie alot...the pics do seem to be there own otherwise you would end up seing alot of repeat pics from other users !

...I'll never be able to buy the parts that I like best, unless I get suggestions on which are the best and narrow it down from there !...not many people around where I live have new quads, Its amazing around here to see a stock 300EX or 400EX and there are only 2 Raptors on the island !

...and about the pictures if it is or isn't them it still doesn't change that the parts on the quad are the same parts !

...after carfulley reading your post I have decided that I don't think you read any of my posts very well !...maybe not even at all !

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 10:36 AM
also I think I would go by the experienced members of this forum, I appreciate Rico's oppinion as I find he helps very well with all the questions on the forum, he also has 2000+ posts on this site and you have 5...you talk about your experience in having people not telling the truth on the site and you haven't been around long enough to get in more than 5 posts...I don't mean to Rip on you but it really doesn't seem like you read my posts and you don't seem to be as experienced as you claim

Scott
12-21-2001, 10:57 AM
For skid plates I can tell you what I've done and what I've had success with. I really like the PRM front bumper I have. Several of my friends have since switched from AC's and DG's to the PRMs since I got mine. Definitely strong.
I also put PRM a-arm guards on my wife's wolverine, and they did just fine.
For the skids, I made my own full length skid for the frame out of 7075 T-6 amuminum. It's not cheap, but it is stronger than the 2000 and 6000 series aluminum alloys. It's not hard to make them, especially in combo with the PRM baja bumper. It has a lip that wraps upder the front of the frame, so you can just slide your skid up under the bumper, drill all the mounting holes and poof-ta, you're done. Or you can buy one, a good one can be had for under $100US. If you decide to make one of your own, take advantage of the hole in the bottom center of the frame behind the a-arms, it's a great place for the mid mount of the skid.

A couple of my friends are having good luck with full length polyethylene skids. I think you can see the ones he's making at Pro-Fab ATV's website. I'll dbl check that for you.

For the swingarm, I went the do-it-yourself option again with my friends stainless steel skid. I can't remember if he's using 304 or 316 stainless steel, but either way it's nearly bullet proof at 3/16" thick. That should also be on the website by now.

I would caution you on the swingarm skids to watch, some of the ones on the market for the 300/250X do NOT come all the way forward to the pivot on the swingarm. That leading edge will catch on stuff and it also leaves the front inchor two of the swingarm exposed, which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a skid. I was thinking the DG was like that, but I can't remember for certain.

Just my experience. I've bounced over/off of many trees and rocks and haven't had any problems yet. The factory swingarm skid was pancaked in no time.

For hopping up your X on a low budget, watch for used 300 parts. About everything interchanges. One of my friends is thinking about parting out his 330 and getting a 400. If he does it will show up in the classifieds. Complete 330 kit engine for about $1000. He's talking about selling everything a piece at a time. Watch for bleonard in the classifieds over the next couple weeks. If he decides to do it, it will be here.

400MXer
12-21-2001, 11:33 AM
Chris2002

That's one of the main reason's these forums are around. HELPING PEOPLE OUT. giving opinions on products. things like that. and there's nothing wrong with getting other peoples opinions on things.

as for people lying about things they have, sure some may do it. But there are tons others that are lagit. I, for one, don't have a picture of my quad as it is right now. You can say that i don't have the things that i say i do. I don't care. When i get a picture, i'll just have to prove you wrong....:blah

12-21-2001, 12:09 PM
Hopefully this won't go to the flames forum..

But schism_rhs,,,I tell ya what would help us help you is list any mods you already have so we don't tell ya to get something you already got. That'll be a good starting point,,I'll check back later to see what ya got..

And I don't care what ya'll say I got a new Z400 in the garage,,ask knighttime he seen it..;)

Scott
12-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Post some pics of the 'zuki. Give us some details. If you got it, you must have rode it. Talk to us! Give us some details!

But with the wink on the smilie, I'm guessing you might just be baiting us along. Be careful doing that, you do it a lot and you'll become know as a master-baiter...

Kiddin'

knighttime
12-21-2001, 12:32 PM
Rico's Z400 is a sweet machine. He can't ride it yet cause his back is all screwed up right now.

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 12:44 PM
:D As For The List Of Mods I already Have thats pretty easy

I have a 13 tooth Front Sprocket instead of the stock size and that is it ! lol

...this is my first quad right now and I haven't gotten any money since I got it, now I'm starting to get some money some I'm going to put some mods on

400exJOE
12-21-2001, 12:59 PM
are the Z400's even being produed yet??? Not doubting you Rico, but last I heard they were comming out in the spring.

12-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Well I'd have to say start out with controls,,,new handybars,,new clutch lever/perch/cable wouldn't hurt,,or get ya one of them cable lubers from RMatv or James lucky. Hows the chain look?? What you probably want to look for is working parts not fancy stuff to make it look better.

Handybars\grips
brake pads
chain\sprockets
rear shock rebuilt,,might not have to buy a new one
tires
new airfilter of your choice
clean the carb,,no money - just time
aftermarket exhaust
grease up everything,,might need new bushings,,a-arms, axle carrier, swingarm, etc.

You've got yourself a project quad,,but it could be a fun project. that should be a good start.

Scott
12-21-2001, 01:43 PM
The parts I mentioned earlier are not pictured on profabatv's website, but all you have to do is enter your request and they'll get back to you within 24 hrs. The Brand name of the parts I was talking about is B&M Racing. Yes, like the transmission performance company, but it's not them. If profab (Scott Smith) questions you, tell him you want the parts Matt sells him.

12-21-2001, 06:12 PM
EZ Pull Clutch of some kind I don't know much about them

hey i wasnt picking on you. i know not everybody lies on here i am just saying there is just people who do. i have been alot of places where they come back on the forum and they are not happy. to tell you the truth only thing i know how to do is just change the oil clean the air filiter and tighten up a chain. and change head gasket taht is all i know how to do. i am not smart at all about quads i cant even rejet a quad. well i really never tried but i dont think i could.

i was trying to pick on you anyway i am sorry that u took it the wrong way . i was just stating a fact, there is alot of poeple on herar that knows alot more than me i know you may know more than me . it is just when you was talking about that clutch thing an you said you didntk jkniw anything about it so why get it??? i mean if your clutch is fine i would change it to the ez clutch system but why change if you dont need to ..

but if you want mods i can tell you some to get. this is what a couple of my regular riding buddys do on the warrior and mojavo and iknow they are totaly different bikes but they have to different sets of rims i think one has dougles .190 rims with mud tires and stock rims with razors

when everything is dry they use razor and when everything is wet or it jsut got done raining they use the mud tires on the lighht rim

and the both have e series pipes it sounds really good on both and gives both some more noticable power but you will find more difference in a smaller ssproket the told me. so if you dont have the cash just buy a smaller sproket for power for the trails and a larger one for the wide open fields.

tinner
12-21-2001, 06:33 PM
Not to sound snide, but I'd get a title before I'd spend any $$ on it. It would be a bummer to stick a bunch into it just to get it taken away.

schism_rhs
12-21-2001, 06:47 PM
yea it would be a really big bummer if that happened...what if there are no #'s on the quad, can they do anything then ???...I'm really gunna try and get the dealer to get his ***** in gear and work this out....might just have to use a little brute force

tinner
12-22-2001, 09:58 AM
There should be #'s on the front bar behind the bumper, if not maybe on the ones at an angle.Maybe it was repainted and you just can't see them.Either way you should see the #'s or at least where they are ground off under that new paint. If it's ground off then you'd better get your $$ back from the dealer.If they dont deal then maybe threaten them by going to the law or at least the better business bureau. Just try and be tactful if you havent already exhausted that plan aready.

tinner
12-22-2001, 10:01 AM
One more thing, they can get in trouble for selling stolen goods. Maybe this can be a tool to use.No business would want to be known for that. If it was a dealer you bought from,I would think that it would have a clear title. Here in the states the dealer automatically titles it along with purchase fees.

DTRAIN
12-22-2001, 11:01 AM
I would start with the handle bars, the stock ones are not great. I got renthals for mine. Also I dropped down a sprocket size, from 13 tooth front to 12 tooth front to get more torque, for trail riding + hill climbing. I am not worried about the top end speed b/c I rarely see 5th gear on the trails. Also consider getting a steering stabilizer (PEP OR Denton). Its great to have when you trail ride. That is the next investment I am going to make on mine. Rode my buddies w/ a stabilizer and its real nice, especially on rocky or bumpy trails. What size tires do you have? I have 22*11*10 's, They are on the bigger size for my liking, except when I go over rocks/ down trees, the clearence is nice. That is why I droopped a sprocket size to compensate for the larger tires on the back. Another mod to consider is an air box lid mod/ outerwares

DEAL
12-22-2001, 01:44 PM
Strip your bike down ... .paint everything , buy maier plastic and it will look pretty good.