PDA

View Full Version : clutch suggestions

Nausty
04-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, I think my clutch is probably on its last leg and we were gonna order new clutch plates and I was woundering your guys suggestions on which brands are best and if I should get a new basket or springs? I race a lot and ride mx and it goes through a lot of abuse. Any suggestions? I was thinking about going with the sparks racing heavy duty clutch kit for $140. http://sparksracing.com/Sparks_Frame_1.htm

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-13-2003, 01:13 PM
I think that the sparks clutch would be good I have sold a couple and have gotten some good feedback.. I just put an EBC in my 416 and Colby put a Barnett in his 440, we have not ridden enough to give feedback on them at least they are still working after a couple of rides..

As for the heavier springs the clutch kits come with them
and for needing a new basket check to see if your is grooved from the existing clutch.. my outer basket was good the inner one had some grooves.. sometimes you can file the grooves out of the basket to get you buy for a while..

04-13-2003, 02:04 PM
yes, ive heard great things about the sparks clutch kit also, but one tihng i dont understand, i have freinds here that say they had an ebc klit with a hinson basket, and they burnt up, and on the hinson box it sais only to use with stock discs, but yet the sparks clutch kit recomends using a hinson basket. i dont understand, and then rico just got a sparks kit with a hinson, i dunno, im realy confused, but if your basket it grooved i would recomend just buying a brand new OEM basket

Nausty
04-14-2003, 04:52 PM
bump, thanks for your input guys.

Castor-426ex
04-14-2003, 04:56 PM
i just ordered a sparks kit i hope itll work in my stock basket

BigThumper33
04-14-2003, 05:30 PM
I heard the kits are nothing more than 300ex metal discs and 250r fibers...... is this true? can this be why the sparks kit works on hinson basket....cause they are OEM?

cals400ex
04-14-2003, 05:47 PM
the sparks clutch works in a stock basket. i have one. the pull is definately harder but it grips. my bike does not shift quite as smooth as with the factory clutch but nothing to worry about. the discs are a bit thinner on the sparks setup so you get an extra disc to fit in the factory basket. i don't know if the hinson basket on sparks website is a regular one or a modified one for his clutch. i do know that you can find a regular one for a 400ex for cheaper than sparks sells it for though.

04-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
I heard the kits are nothing more than 300ex metal discs and 250r fibers...... is this true? can this be why the sparks kit works on hinson basket....cause they are OEM?

ive heard the 300ex steel and 250r fiber setups work great, i think most pros run them in the hinson baskets, im not totaly sure on if thats what the sparks kit is, clutch have me all confizzled:huh

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
but if your basket it grooved i would recomend just buying a brand new OEM basket

:ermm: I would never buy an OEM basket...

OutlawEX
04-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
:ermm: I would never buy an OEM basket...

IMO the OEM is a better baskit just cause it is more durable than prolly a high performance one..It also depends on what bike u have too,like alot of quads have some sick stock set ups so why bother to change...But i see it this way why spend more money on a stock baskit when u can get a hinson for cheaper...But imo OEM is more durable:blah

04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
IMO the OEM is a better baskit just cause it is more durable than prolly a high performance one..It also depends on what bike u have too,like alot of quads have some sick stock set ups so why bother to change...But i see it this way why spend more money on a stock baskit when u can get a hinson for cheaper...But imo OEM is more durable:blah

:huh

Castor-426ex
04-14-2003, 07:52 PM
what?

i never heard of a hinson basket grenading and sending chunks of metal throughout the engine case as i have on some oem baskets....

if i had the money and a choice id get a hinson