PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting engine to TDC

GrounD PoundeR
04-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Let me start off saying this is the first engine rebuild I have done. When adjusting the piston for TDC the flywheel bolt came loose. I took the cover off tighten the bolt back up and the piston moved freely. I had to wait for the gasket to come in for the flywheel cover so I went and installed the head. Well time to make sure again that everything is TDC again and there seems to be alot of pressure when trying to turn the flywheel counter clock wise. I dont know if this is normal or if I can turn the flywheel in a clock wise rotation to see if it dose the same. Appreciate any help.

As for installing the piston I went by the book use ring compressors and making sure the gaps where lined up correctly.

gojk
04-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Pull the spark plug and it will move freely.

GrounD PoundeR
04-13-2003, 03:17 PM
I have not installed the spark plug yet.

gojk
04-13-2003, 03:31 PM
If you haven't put in the plug yet, you should not have any pressure. You should hear the piston moving air in and out the spark plug hole. Do you have the whole top end together or is the CAM chain loose. It could be the chain binding. It could also need to be in neutral.

GrounD PoundeR
04-14-2003, 03:26 AM
I dont have the whole top end together yet. I'm wanting to get it adjusted to TDC so I can put the cam in and put the valve cover back on. I can see in being the cam chain, but I'll double check it tonight. I made sure there was slack in the chain before trying to turn it counter clock wise and the bike is in neutral. The quad is sitting on the ground, but if nuetral I dont think it would matter.

I take it I'm not suppose to turn it clock wise correct? It times like this I'm glad I dont keep my gun in reach. :devil

UglyMotha™
04-14-2003, 04:01 AM
i know what your problem is your feeling pressure from the valves bein opened and i bet when it get real stiff it then lunges forward take your valve caps off and whatch the valve and i bet that when it gets stiff you see the valves being opened if not you have issues else where

gojk
04-14-2003, 05:45 AM
It should turn clock wise also, you just shouldn't do it with the compression release on a cam. I don't know about TC cams but my hotcam you remove all of the decompression junk. The cam chain binds really easy so just pull it tight with your hand while you turn the engine.

UglyMotha™
04-14-2003, 06:05 AM
oooooops:confused2 i misread you DON'T have the top end together it will be a little harder to turn than if you don't have the head on cause it's like trying to squeeze and orange thru a straw you have all the air drawn in the cylinder and you trying to squeeze it out the spark plug hole it's not goin to move as quick as if the head wasn't there

seems like mine was harder to turn but i don't remember for sure

GrounD PoundeR
04-14-2003, 09:24 AM
So I can turn it clock wise as long as the cam spark plug is not in it? The damn honda manuel dont go into great detail about adjusting for TDC and this being my first time I'm trying to go by the book and not jack anything up.

gojk
04-14-2003, 10:11 AM
The only prob with turning clockwise with the cam off is that the gear on the starter will engage and try and turn the starter. If you turn it counter-clockwise it spins free of the starter.

GrounD PoundeR
04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I have the starter gear removed from when I had to take the flywheel cover off. So the start will not be a problem. Is this the only thing that I need to be concerned with?

BigThumper33
04-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a cam chain issue to me. Mine bound up easy when I was turning it, you have to pay attention and make sure its tight on the lower sprocket.

gojk
04-15-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by GrounD PoundeR
I have the starter gear removed from when I had to take the flywheel cover off. So the start will not be a problem. Is this the only thing that I need to be concerned with?

As far as I know.