PDA

View Full Version : New Yamaha quad

infantry317
04-12-2003, 02:41 PM
One of my riding buds was talking to Daryl Rath a few days ago and Daryl said we should see the first pics of it next month. Finally someone steps up, damn Honda. :mad:
I still don't think I'll buy a Yamaha. :devil

CHAUNCY
04-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Sounds awesome. It it gonna be a wr450 engine debored to a 440 ??? I would buy it instead of waiting for honda probably. Im sure it would be a great quad. I would probably wait till the 2nd year so we can see if there is any problems with it.

speedy400
04-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Sounds awesome. It it gonna be a wr450 engine debored to a 440 ??? I would buy it instead of waiting for honda probably. Im sure it would be a great quad. I would probably wait till the 2nd year so we can see if there is any problems with it.
I agree, but I wont be selling the ol' 400 anytime soon.-darren

mrusk
04-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Ain't gonna be debored. Its going to be a fourfiddy. Than next year the GNC classes will raise the 4 stroke cc limit to 450. You watch.

matt

BornOnFire
04-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Does Yamaha know something we don't? Are they trying to beat Honda to the punch?

forum
04-12-2003, 04:15 PM
If its got power anything near to my 426ex. Nothin will stand a chance. Honda might as well stop making the 400ex. cause no one will buy em

exriderdude
04-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
You watch.

oh i will....lol:D

Juggalo
04-12-2003, 06:48 PM
if that new yami has a decent chasis (which suzuki failed to achieve) i might have to say goodbye to the ol EX. thats the quad i have been waiting to come out forever!!

zoom400ex
04-13-2003, 12:59 AM
ya they said that yamaha is trying ot beat honda to the punch in DW. so better be coming out with something better than the WR450 based quad or as much as i dont wanna say it i might switch to the old yamaha

RoadkillerRyan
04-13-2003, 02:14 AM
HONDA FOREVER!!

Guy400
04-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Being a former first-year Raptor owner I'm a little scared of a Yamaha product now. They promised the world with the Raptor (YZ-spec 5-speed transmission, yada-yada-yada). What they didn't tell you was that the gears were made of stamped aluminum foil and 200lbs. of the Raptor's 398 total pounds were up around the handlebars.

I'm glad to hear they're using the WR450 engine but the chassis is still unseen and untested as far as I'm concerned. I'll wait for the 2nd year to test it's reliability.

cheetah
04-13-2003, 04:03 AM
Thats fine with me. Let Yami come out with their bike first and then honda can just make theirs a little better and honda will be on top for another 2 or 3 years.

"BLAHH"300!!
04-13-2003, 04:26 AM
i doubt honda will "one up" the comp.
they might, but they've alway's been the slower bike stock. so i don't expect much over handeling with them.

. (SNL)
"i'm a little veclimpt...........talk amungst yur'selve's...here...i'll give you a topic......

would you rather have all manufacturer's use the same dementions, as far as arm's, hubs, rim's, bumper's, axels, and stuff like that go, or keep the differance's.
i like that each model has their "style" of geometry. i mean h3ll if they were ALL modeld after the 250, then our sport would end up like nascar...all the cars are pretty much set up the same way, leaving the race up to driver's skill.
the kfx's arms, shocks, and rims mach up to the 4ex's parts right?

......discuss....."

Juggalo
04-13-2003, 04:47 AM
the kfx's arms, shocks, and rims mach up to the 4ex's parts right?

......discuss....." [/B]

i tried to use some EX shocks on a Z and they did bolt up but that were WAY too soft. i think the Z has different leverage ratios (?) than the EX. the Z has a shock that moved further in than the EX i think. also i tried putting Z shocks on my EX and the top shock mount wouldn't fit without a hammer.

DirtDiggler
04-13-2003, 05:09 AM
If Yamaha can make a quad that handles well I think it would rock and maybe light a fire under Honda for the rest of us. I just don't understand why they would take a big engine like a 660 and then put it in a tall and narrow chassis. I haven't however heard of any Raptor frames breaking or at least not like the Z400 anyways. If they stick with the strong frame and make it low and wide I think they can't miss unless they have all kinds of reliability issues.

cool 300ex
04-13-2003, 05:33 AM
What are u guys talking about that new banshee the 500 v?

newjacksm
04-13-2003, 05:47 AM
no the WR450 Dirt bike engine thats being installed in a quad frame.... The 500V is a april fools joke

Striker49
04-13-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
What are u guys talking about that new banshee the 500 v?

:huh

My title above my avatar is self explanitory. :huh

anywhereEx
04-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
What are u guys talking about that new banshee the 500 v?:chinese:

Striker but whatever do you mean???

Sorry but I was crackin up when I read your post....

Striker49
04-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Hehehehe. :p

You know I was only messin with ya cool 300ex, dont take it personal. :eek:

Glow Plug
04-13-2003, 09:25 AM
awsome good to see people aren't waiting to copie honda lol but i bet it will have it's fare share of problems :)

twisted threads
04-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Honda really needs to do something soon. I what to get
another 4stroke but im not going to get another 400ex. Im a Honda rider at heart but if they don't do something soon I might half to get something else!

DirtDiggler
04-13-2003, 01:02 PM
I hear ya man. I'm a Honda man but I also feel it's not our loyalty to Honda that's in question it's Honda's loyalty to us. Honda takes money from us so in the nature of good customer service they should give the costumers what they want. If they don't then I don't blame anyone for buying something else if it suits their needs better. I'm pretty sure everyone on these boards works hard for their money.

250x#93
04-13-2003, 01:08 PM
I got three words for ya: *REMEMBER YAMAHA SUCKS*

"BLAHH"300!!
04-13-2003, 01:15 PM
i don't think they suk..there' just the competition.
i say they suk just to talk $h1t...i'd buy honda though.
there ganna figure out there frame issue's one day, and prolly take the lead all together..in MX and desert...
...my $.02

now the blaster...that does suk....might as well have a trx90.
(size comparison)

JHF219
04-13-2003, 01:16 PM
how do you figure yamaha sucks?? i am a honda fan i bought my 250r after owning my banshee for 5 years and i still have the banshee !! i have never had a problem out of it minus top end rebuild and carbs. I think yamaha is doing the right thing !! Yamaha has a Kick ***** motor(the 426\450) you get the point !! i personally own a 426 bike and i gotta tell you that i have not had any problems with it either !! and anyone on this board that rides one of these motors will probably tell you the same thing they are EXTREMLY STRONG!! and very reliable!! minus being a pain in the butt to start(until you get used to it) there are no other downfalls !!

Rip_Tear
04-13-2003, 01:26 PM
I agree with the people waiting 1 year to see what kinda bugs it has, the only quad I would even think about buying first year would be a Honda though... We will have to wait and see what happens though. Yamaha better get ride of their warrior if the 450 comes out though...

DirtDiggler
04-13-2003, 02:09 PM
I don't think the fact of whether or not Yamaha sucks is the issue. Yamaha sells a lot of bikes and quads and the Raptor was supposedly the number 1 selling sport quad last year. I agree Honda could wait to see what everyone else comes out with and then "one up" them but what about their dealers and customers? The dealers are already getting killed by the competition in sales. Z400s and Raptors are popping up every where and now I'm starting to see some Predators. Honda has to take care of their dealers and customers regardless. I want to buy a second quad next year and I would love for it to be a new Honda but if they aren't going to give me what I want or reasonably close to it then they aren't loyal to me or my money so why return the favor. I love my 400ex but after I'm done sinking money into it I'll have better suspension then the other brands do stock and maybe a little more power but I'll have spent way more money.

DirtDiggler
04-13-2003, 02:10 PM
BTW the only quad I would buy in it's first production year is a Honda. They design a quad and it's a done deal. If there are recalls they are usually assembly related and not design related.

cody anderson
04-13-2003, 03:41 PM
if this happens i will have one the day its avalable.

Brad
04-13-2003, 03:54 PM
i hope its not another 01 raptor, that thing had so many problems, if someones gonna buy it i hope the werk out all the problems before they produce it like honda does

Bretmd94
04-13-2003, 04:15 PM
I had a first year Raptor. Its a POS. The motor is big. Thats it. Crappy weak frame. Horrible weight blancing. A tranny from a raptor90. The only thing good is i could beat banshees in the sand. (lightly modded ones) yippy.... I would have no trust in the first year of this bike. I lost well over 3 grand in that raptor. f^%*ing yamaha.

DirtDiggler
04-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Tell me more about the weak frame I don't doubt you at all but I've never heard of a broken raptor frame. I would like to know if this happens more than people are letting on.

400grl
04-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Try broken in about 12 places......welded back up...gussetted.....boken in even more places. This is after hard riding for over a year...and not that great suspension. Yes...they definately break. I think most people use them for trial riding, and that's why you don't hear as much about them. If you race that thing, it's going to be cracking on you after a while - basically like any stock frame.