PDA

View Full Version : What Quad??

302exrider
04-12-2003, 01:00 PM
I have a 300ex right now and i like it. when i bought it it was pretty good but it dont have enough power and i kill it jumping. ive added suspension and it helped but not much. i wanted to start racing, not with it. i want to get something with better suspension travel and more stable. i have though about an r or a 400ex but i dont know what is better. im a lightweight and pretty short im 130 5'5. plese help im lost i like the power my bike has ive rode 2 strokes b4 and there ok. but i dont know thanks:confused:

04-12-2003, 01:05 PM
400ex

a lot less headaches since its older. i would only recomend one if u r mechanically inclined because u never know what was done to it.

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2003, 01:42 PM
First of all... WELCOME to Exriders.com!!:)

What kind of racing do you plan on doing? MX?

When you mentioned the Honda 250R... WOW! As for power and suspension, you are going to have a hard time beating that! Just keep in mind that the 2 strokes are alot more maintenance than the 300ex.

I don't race MX, so if that is what you plan on racing, I highly recommend going to one of the races and seeing what alot of the racers there are racing... Hopefully Honda's!:D

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide... And hopefully you will enjoy racing!:cool:

302exrider
04-12-2003, 02:45 PM
yes i plan on racing mx, im pretty good with maintenance, ive worked with many 2-stroke motors and they are simple to work with. the 4 strokes on the other hand im not good with but i can do it.....What do you race? xc? tt?

trailburner
04-12-2003, 03:07 PM
OK, from my moto-X experience this is what i have seen, the 250R's of course are great for moto-X etc...but if they have'nt been all redone frome the frame up your going to do alot of wrenching:ermm: the 400ex's[because there newer] are alot less maintaince & are very reliable......

stocktires
04-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Being that your young, get the 400EX and ride tha he!! out of it!

I bought my R when I was 13. I love my R to death, but I should have bought a 400ex to start racing with.
My R wasn't in too bad of shape when I bought it. It needed TLC no doubt.
Since I bought it I did a frame up build. Half of the quad is new (even every nut, bolt, washer, ect ect).
Its had about $4,000 worth of TLC to get it to a extremely reliable, awesome performaning quad like I want it to be (project will be complete this month, after 9 long months of wrenching).

Good luck on the new quad! Just make SURE the quad is in great mechanical shape and you should be fine :)

doublezero
04-12-2003, 03:37 PM
i had the same problem u had i had a 300 and i bought suspension and basic MX mods. it helped a little but not a whole lot. plus i didnt have the power to clear most doubles at the track. i just got a 400 about 3 days ago and i am very impressed with it. it has good suspension and alot more power than the 300.

ex kid
04-13-2003, 11:02 AM
400ex all the way. i would start with a good pipe and rejet, tires and a set of pep shocks and go from there.
just my opinion

honda250xrider
04-13-2003, 11:23 AM
the way it sounds you have a pretty good quad already, have you thought about stroking the motor, have you ported and polished the head, what about the piston, do you have a aftermarket cam, yes i agree it takes a good bike to win but its mostly the rider so what ever you pick make sure you feel comforable on it

250x#93
04-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Get a 400, I know thats what I'm gonna do:devil I took the 250x out on the track today and it just doesn't have what I need:( So i guess towards the end of the summer i'll get a 400:macho