View Full Version : ball joint spinning

QuadTrix6
04-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey im installing my a arms now and when i go to tighten the bolt on the ball joints it just spins the threaded part and doesnt tighten the nut down. How can i hold it with out messing up the threads or ripping the boot? any other suggestions? Thanks

Tommy 17
04-12-2003, 09:19 AM
i know its sounds weird... get a rubber mallet and smack the top of the ball join as hard as u can haha... thats what i was told to do with my burgard and they worked...:huh

Rip_Tear
04-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Or you can get a clamp, and clamp the top and bottom if your still having problems, just the constant pressure will help :D

QuadTrix6
04-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i know its sounds weird... get a rubber mallet and smack the top of the ball join as hard as u can haha... thats what i was told to do with my burgard and they worked...:huh

Yea i got it. I did use that method for the top one and for the bottom one i put the a arm on a stand so the weight was on it and it went in great. Also a big thanks to Pappy who saved me so many headaches.

04-12-2003, 01:22 PM
i used a giant c clamp, put one face on top of the ball joint and the other on teh spindle, tightened till i couldnt no more, then tightened bolt, they have to be pressed on becuase the ball joints are tapered, wich means as u get close to the joint, the shaft gets bigger so it either needs to be tapped or pressed on, stock a-arms dont need to be pressed on becuase they dont use lock nuts

Mxbubs
04-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Your balljoint should be have squared sides just under the rubber boot.....You should be able to take a 17mm wrench and hold back up. Dont quote me on that, but that seems like what I used to do.

04-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Your balljoint should be have squared sides just under the rubber boot.....You should be able to take a 17mm wrench and hold back up. Dont quote me on that, but that seems like what I used to do.

i dont think a-arms use that, i know ball joints for the tie rods have a 14mm square that you hold to tighten down because they arent tapered and wont lock them selves in like the a-arms ball joints will, i dunno, maybe some are different

hsr
04-22-2003, 03:20 PM
use an impact wrench , you might have to put the nut on and back it off a couple of times to make sure that the rubber locking mechanism ( the last 2 threads) wears over top of the threads on the ball joint, i had to do this last week , it works effectively

04-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Or you can get a clamp, and clamp the top and bottom if your still having problems, just the constant pressure will help :D
I use a large C clamp,& a lil spacer is needed (the red peice under the ball joint) to protect the grease zerk..this set up works like a charm :D
PS., hammers & impact wrenches are for
heavy trucks not ATV's :ermm:

QuadTrix6
04-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
I use a large C clamp,& a lil spacer is needed (the red peice under the ball joint) to protect the grease zerk..this set up works like a charm :D
PS., hammers & impact wrenches are for
heavy trucks not ATV's :ermm:

is that an aftermarket ball joint ? it has a grease zerk on it ? how much was it ? and thanks for the help

400exRacerX
04-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Or just pop all the ball joints in the spindles, throw the wheels on and put the bike on the ground. the weight of the bike on the balljoints acts as a clamp and you can tighten the nuts all the way down.

hsr
04-23-2003, 06:54 AM
no.... hammers and impact wrenches are used for atvs to as long as they are used properly, they are not necessary most of the time. actually you will probably only use an impact wrench on a 4 wheeler once in a great while but this still doesnt mean that you cant use them on an atv...???

400exRacerX
04-23-2003, 07:47 AM
So what do you use when yourswingarm pivot bolt is stuck in the swingarm? I use a hammer and it works great. I aolso use impact guns to take off my wheels and put them back on. Impact guns are adjustable to how much pressure it puts out, why use a socket wrench when it can be done 5 tiems as fast with an impact gun.

lil400exman
04-24-2003, 06:24 AM
yeah what he said..........................lol:eek: