PDA

View Full Version : 416 bore and stroke

@Bad465EX
04-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Im wanting to bore my 400 to a 416 abd stroke it to a 440. what size stroke do I need ?

anywhereEx
04-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Talk to FDO. I talked with him on the same subject for about a half a hour. Real nice guy and will lay it out for you. Believe it or not it is cheaper now and in the longrun to go to a 463....Just food for thought

oregonrider89
04-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Your crank will be stroked 4mm. If you do have it done get a heavy duty rod. You don't need it for the 440 but if you decide on a 463 later you can do it without taking your bottom end apart again. I love my 440 stroker its fast. Most weekends at the dunes I'm the fastest four-stroke down drag racing and it climbs like crazy. You'll like it. I got mine kit from Powroll, but I'm sure some of the other places will do just as good.

oregonrider89

anywhereEx
04-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Please look into it. Not trying to flame what so ever but I have heard bad things about getting stroker parts from them. Not saying you do not have a hell of a motor because that is what I was going to build but I did alot of talking with fdo and he layed it out with numbers and measurments. He even told me what was wrong with my 416 over the phone that NONE of the engine builder's could figure out ...sparks,fst,tc,poweroll, and just about everyone else in the engine buisness. I will say that the owner of baldwin's(can't remeber his name off hand, mark?) went and poped a case off to try to figure it out so there are so real nice guys out there.

Basically what I am sayin is if you are planning on this kind of $ in your engine, pay for the best mod up front. $20 phone card and a few hours talkign to them all to research it out.....

JD400exrider
04-12-2003, 03:34 PM
I would have to aggree with anywhereEx I have talked to
For Dirt Only a couple times about the same thing. I just decided to wait a little and try out the new 416 for now. This guy takes the time to talk to you and explains everthing. My buddy is having a 493 built right now from him. If I end up doing a stroker down the road it will be sent to FDO. I live in CA and that should tell you something. I have had a couple people on this site PM me and had nothing but good things to say about him.
Good Luck

oregonrider89
04-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Like I said before there are lots of guys that can make ***** kickin' stroker motors but Powroll is a class act, I don't need to defend them. Ask the company doing you stroke work if they do it themselves or if they send their cranks out to be done. A lot of the time Powroll will be behind the work of other companies.

oregonrider89

Juggalo
04-13-2003, 04:35 AM
does fdo have a website?

ChadEXer
04-13-2003, 01:48 PM
anywhere EX, just wondering, what was wrong with your 416 that none of the other builders could find out??

Mr_Bub400ex
04-13-2003, 02:54 PM
to go from 416 to 440 its a 2mm stroke

mikeboone
04-13-2003, 03:30 PM
use this for easy calculations http://www.dunegoon.org/math1.html The stock bore is 85mm and stock stroke is 70mm. As stated above you will need a 4mm stroke with the 416 to get 440cc's. The 416 is an 87mm piston..Going with 87mm and 2mm stroke would only give a 428cc.

mikeboone
04-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Mr bub--you may be thinkg of pistons instead. A 2mm gain from 416 (87mm) would indeed give a 440 (89mm) This doesnt apply to stroking however.

oregonrider89
04-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Good call mikeboone, its +4mm.

Hey anywhereEx, what was wrong with your 416? The engine builders you seemed to stump are top of the line.

oregonrider89

anywhereEx
04-14-2003, 02:11 AM
Nothing serouse.

When I put everything back together no matter what I had done I had no clutch. I did everything imaginable to try t figure out why and nothing. It would start on the first touch of the button but no clutch. I called everyone big in the buisness on engines and walked them through every step and everything that I had tried. Finally I called FDO and within 10 minuites of talking he knew exactly what it was. It was the clutch sleve that goes in between the clutch basket and the shaft. From the way I understand it will freeze up fairly easily because it does not get hardly any oil unless you are moving. He said that he has seen it fairly often on the bigger engines but neither of us can figure otu why it happened on mine because it was only rec riding....

I ordered one and put it in and it worked like a charm...He said that if I ever go bigger on the engine or next time i have to put a clutch in just pop it out and chanfer it and that will help also. Of course he told me that after it was together. Oh well. At least someone out had a clue....

I looked into it futher and was told that when hinson desinged the 8 plate set up they had the same problem at first and had to machine there own

04-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by mikeboone
use this for easy calculations http://www.dunegoon.org/math1.html The stock bore is 85mm and stock stroke is 70mm. As stated above you will need a 4mm stroke with the 416 to get 440cc's. The 416 is an 87mm piston..Going with 87mm and 2mm stroke would only give a 428cc.

the link doesnt work

oregonrider89
04-14-2003, 05:37 AM
It worked for me.

oregonrider89