PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle on a dirtbike?

Narly R
04-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I want a xr50, and I really dont know if I can stand the twist!!!!! Im a freak about twist throttles!!!! im shure I could get use to it, but a thumb would be SWEET!!!!!!!!! I was wounderin if I would be able to put say, a 400ex throttle on it? Just a wounderin.................:rolleyes:

ridered86
04-11-2003, 05:09 PM
i cant ride a twist throttle, whenever i panic i twist, which panics me even more, and before ya know it im in a tree somewhere or on my arse.:rolleyes:

but the important thing is i keep on tryin:)

Narly R
04-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Thats how I am! Exept the "trying" part comes to a stop after Im about to die in pain!!!!!!!!!:mad: Let me tell ya what!!!! My r will really go threw brush when pinned in 3rd!!!!!!!!

ridesa02400EX
04-11-2003, 05:26 PM
im the exact same way with twist throttles i remember when i accidently wheelied my friends dirtbike because it didnt have a clutch so you would have to rev it up and then just pop it into first well i panicked and kept twisting it more and i hit a tree lol

kc 300EX
04-11-2003, 06:18 PM
yeah, Im also twist throttle illiterate.....

In fact last time I rode one, I ended up breaking my ankle.....

So yeah, I would think its possible to put a thumb on a bike, why not? as long as its opening the carb all the way

nojoke4stroke
04-11-2003, 07:29 PM
?????????????????JMFO but if you cant run a twist throttle (whirlpull for all the oldschool peeps)then you shouldnt be riding an offroad or any other twist throttle designed machine.that is so lame i cant even believe i'm hearing it on this site.any1 that knows anything knows that a twist throttle is ideal in any situation,especially on a quad.if you cant ride with 1 then you shouldnt be riding!!!!!please some1 here back me up on this because i cant believe it is even an issue,and i mean this with all of my heart>:rolleyes: .......thumbthrottles on sport/race quads are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not to mention on a dirtbike:huh

pairanutz
04-11-2003, 08:40 PM
there is one i guy i no that has a thumb throttel on his cr 250 hes a quad rider and said he couldnt get used to the twist so he put a thumb throtel of f his 250r he mostly hill climbs with it but does trail ride it too i no one thing his hill climbing times went way down after switchin to a thumb-its the weirdest thing ive seen on a bike but works

PHIL_B54
04-12-2003, 04:06 AM
i hate twist throttles too

nojoke everyone likes different stuff, it doest mean they cant ride, i mean a couple of my friends ride yamaha's but that doest mean they dont deserve to ride

ridered86
04-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by nojoke4stroke
?????????????????JMFO but if you cant run a twist throttle (whirlpull for all the oldschool peeps)then you shouldnt be riding an offroad or any other twist throttle designed machine.that is so lame i cant even believe i'm hearing it on this site.any1 that knows anything knows that a twist throttle is ideal in any situation,especially on a quad.if you cant ride with 1 then you shouldnt be riding!!!!!please some1 here back me up on this because i cant believe it is even an issue,and i mean this with all of my heart>:rolleyes: .......thumbthrottles on sport/race quads are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not to mention on a dirtbike:huh

hey now big fella, calm down it WILL be ok, and my 416 is just as fast with the thumb throttle so whats the diff. i have a thumb throttle an my quad certainly is not "gay", and read the rules b4 you post

Pro400EXC
04-12-2003, 06:42 AM
I agree w/ NoJoke4stk....I mena twist isn't that hard to get used too,I can't really ride twist on a quad,but a bike, that is sooo easy, and I mena why twist if you get scared? most people let off,so you might be backwards....

Your not supposed to grip tight or soemthing when you get scraed,go limp....

also whats w/ everyone and the "reads the rules" its called 1st Amendment...

JD400exrider
04-12-2003, 08:24 AM
If it feels more comfortable to ride a quad with a thumb throttle that's your call. Nojoke4stroke I would not go as far as saying it is gay to have a thumb throttle on a quad or you cannot or should'nt ride if you have one. I have been riding offroad, for
30 + years I prefer to have a thumb throttle on my quad. Does that mean i can't ride. I don't think so! Take it easy nojoke4stroke

Installing a thumb thottle on a bike is not a good idea. If your going to ride a bike learn how to use the twist. It is nothing to be scared of. ;)

ridesa02400EX
04-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by nojoke4stroke
?????????????????JMFO but if you cant run a twist throttle (whirlpull for all the oldschool peeps)then you shouldnt be riding an offroad or any other twist throttle designed machine.that is so lame i cant even believe i'm hearing it on this site.any1 that knows anything knows that a twist throttle is ideal in any situation,especially on a quad.if you cant ride with 1 then you shouldnt be riding!!!!!please some1 here back me up on this because i cant believe it is even an issue,and i mean this with all of my heart>:rolleyes: .......thumbthrottles on sport/race quads are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not to mention on a dirtbike:huh why shouldnt i be riding if i cant ride with a twist? a thumb throttle works just as good its just what people feel more comfortable with dont get all pissed off over someone not liking twist throttles i dont see what is so bad about a thumb throttle

Narly R
04-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I think ill be able to get use to the twist on a bike, but I thought I would be a better ridder on it w/a thumb!:rolleyes: But if you want a twist go for it, or if you want a thumb go for it!!!!! Its just a personal preferance!!!!! You shouldnt think someone is stupid if they have a differnt setup then you!

So how many of yall think I should try putting a thumb on a xr50?? Good? Bad?

Bean
04-13-2003, 06:34 AM
a 250r my dad bought a while back had a twist on it, i almost considered buying one for my R, you have a better grip on the bar, and throttling is easier on your hands, only thing that kept me back was hitting rocks and stuff and throttling on accident

Brad
04-13-2003, 06:37 AM
i think if ya could pull it off(no doubt) than it would be an awesome idea

i rode a crf150f and almost flipped it into a bog the 1st time with a twist i hated it and my wrist hurt after

Breyon55
04-13-2003, 06:43 AM
a thumb throttle on a 50 is all on you.........My Quad has a thumb throttle and my R1 and 50 have twist throttles.............once you get the hang of it it wont be a problem..............i guess its just all personal preference.

The only thing you might have to worry about is the bar size on your 50. Are you going to upgrade to a fast50's or BBR style clamb and bars? If your running the stock honda 50 bars it wont work.....the diameter of the bars is smaller and you wont have anything to clamp the thumb throttle onto......if you add the big bar kit it souldnt be a problem

Just my .02

Pro400EXC
04-13-2003, 06:56 AM
dude i don't mean to sound mean,but ya'll sound like a buncha wine'in babies,i mean

" i rode a friends crf150 and did a wheelie,and blah blah my wrist hurts" oh boo hoo, if your *** can't use twist then don't use twist.

You know what?i can't swim,so you know what i do? I stay my *** outta the water....

So that means, if you can't use twist or your mommy isn't there to help you w/ it, then stay your *** off a bike w/ twist or a quad w/ it....

Boo Hoo

Narly R
04-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
You know what?i can't swim,so you know what i do? I stay my *** outta the water....

LOL!!!!!!!!!:D :D :p

Your right! Im just too lazy to take the time to ride a twist, and I like thumbs better!!! Ill prolly just use the money on MY bike instead of a 50!:ermm:

44oEX
04-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Yes it is possible as long as the end of the cable can hock up to the carb.

honda350r
04-13-2003, 12:35 PM
If I ever own a dirtbike it will have a thumb throttle !! I like them and I don't have a wimpy thumb that gets sore after riding for 10 minutes !!

I don't think anyone is faster using a twist compared to a thumb !!!

Run what you like,who gives a ***** what anyone thinks!!

Jim

phatswinn
04-13-2003, 12:58 PM
twist throttles make me crash, they suck! (to me)

its all personal preference, if ur used to riding a thumb throttle ya just cant switch to a twist throttle, it doesent work!