PDA

View Full Version : adjusting stock shocks on a 400ex

tj's400ex
12-20-2001, 01:06 PM
Is there a way to adjust the stock shocks w/out using the "tool" honda recomends? :confused:

JEFF8400EX
12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
A BIG PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCKS

12-20-2001, 02:02 PM
Well the front shocks preload can be adjusted with a large set of channel locks or a large wrench,,you don't need a special tool. I'd leave the preload on the rear shock alone and only fool with the compression,,,leave the rebound alone too.

tj's400ex
12-21-2001, 08:32 AM
Thanks.:)

SGA
12-27-2001, 07:24 AM
I agree with rico, thought I knew more than honda about shocks. What would they know, they just build some of the best made mass produced equipment in the world. tried different settings on the back shock, all three adjustments. ended up with the best ride with the settings as they came from the factory. the rebound is the bottom screw, turn in till stopped, then out appx 1-1/2 turns till the punch marks line up, same for the top screw(compression). mine came from the factory with the compression screw 1/2 turn before the mark,(softer). I would leave the spring adjustment (preload) alone in most cases. I keep the front shocks set around one click from softest for general riding & near to full hard for the mx track. hope this helps

Zingnut
12-28-2001, 07:31 AM
This page(http://www.extremegarage.com/techtips/stechtip.htm)will give you a general idea of what to do and how it works. I have my rear shock preload to almost nothing because of the CC riding I do it will give you better starts and a better ride in hard wooded trails. I weight about 150 and am 6' tall. It all matters he weight of the rider with gear and the terrain that he/she rides. My front preload is on the second lowest notch. As far as compression and preload I usually ride a small course and adjust them both to most soft then to the hardest. If you can not tell any difference then go back to stock settings. Just a suggestion.http://www.extremegarage.com/techtips/stechtip.htm