PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings?

99400ex
04-10-2003, 10:20 AM
i was wondering if i need new axle bearings. If i pick up the back and pick up on the rear tire its moves up and down like 2 inchs. Also if i stand up on it and move from side to side it feels like theres movement in between the axle and swing arm. this probably isnt normal is it? if it is the bearings how much are they?

nojoke4stroke
04-10-2003, 10:26 AM
youre about 4 rides late for new bearings,45 for a new set.if your carriers screwed expect to pay 180-230 for an aftermarket,not sure how much stockers are.

99400ex
04-10-2003, 10:29 AM
will it make it worse to keep riding it?

nojoke4stroke
04-10-2003, 10:52 AM
i ran mine for 3 weeks with bad bearings on purpose cuz i knew i was gonna replace the carrier anyway,luckily i didnt hurt the axle.i replaced it with a RAD mfg. tapered carrier for $230,grease zerk,lifetime warranty and free 2 day air directly from RAD.buy one of those and you'll never have to replace the bearings again,just install it correctly and keep it packed with grease,thats what the zerk is for,you'll need a grease gun if you dont have one already but they arent expensive if you dont.these carriers pay for themselves over time.your carrier is probly shot but theres hope for your axle just address it now before its too late.

OutlawEX
04-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Replace them now while you can..If u got double row they sell the bearings at automotive stores for a ford or chevy ac for only 12 bux a peice,need the part # tho