PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol guys, I have a question

Chef
12-20-2001, 10:28 AM
I am thinking of sending my carb to get converted to alcohol, and then run that instead of just normal fuel. my questions are: 1) How much of a gain am i going to get if im running 52 hp now? 2) What are some of the things that make alcohol a pain in the ***** over normal fuel? 3)How much more fuel do you have to deliver to the engine than normal race fuel? 4) Who should I have convert it and how much will it cost? 5) Should i just buy a 41mm FCR and have it converted? 6) What do they do to convert it?

sorry for all the questions, but i dont wanna spend the money and then hate it..

12-20-2001, 12:51 PM
Just go buy a 12 pack for yourself and be done with it,,saves ya money and you'll get more out of it than your quad will..:D

Chef
12-20-2001, 12:55 PM
lol...how did i know that was coming...;)

wyndzer
12-20-2001, 02:37 PM
Do like I did, buy a 39mm FCR from FTZ racing, already converted over. Just bolt it up and ride. You will see a difference, trust me. Then you can run gas when you want, with your other carb. Or you can send him your carb and for like $50-$60 he will convert it. (consists of drilling the mains out and tapering the needle, I would have him do it because he is very experienced with alcohol, plus he'll give you all the phone support you need.)
Your bike will use about 2.2 times the amount of fuel.
Only problem I have is it takes longer than normal to warm the motor up, but once warm LOOK OUT, plus you need to drain the carb if it sits up for more than about 3 days.

Chef
12-20-2001, 03:19 PM
what did you do to your motor wyndzer? to get a big hole i mean. what additive do you use in yours? i think it was you who said that they used additive and it could sit for longer..?

wyndzer
12-20-2001, 09:35 PM
I use pro-blend.

Sandragggen
12-20-2001, 11:18 PM
I ordered the FCR41 alky carb today from Sparks. He told me all I had to do was take the two screens out of the petcock add 2 oz. of 2 stroke Maxima to every gallon and go. I think I will get larger fuel lines as wyndzer suggested. My alky Sport will run out of fuel on extended runs (300'+) so I added a pulse fuel pump and a larger gas tank vent to flow more fuel. Perhaps the EX is different. Wndzer does your ex run out of alky on extended runs?

Chef
12-20-2001, 11:25 PM
you run out of fuel in one race? i thought it was totally different than that...maybe i wont be doing alky then..

Sandragggen
12-20-2001, 11:37 PM
No HOTT44EX you will not run out of fuel in one race. LOL. What happens is, that like on my Sport, the float bowl runs out of fuel and can't keep up the supply of fuel to the motor. The pump keeps the float bowl full all the time thus not starving the motor for fuel. I should have been clearer.

However if you race xc alcohol would not be a good choice for you will run out of fuel. Like wndzer said, "Your bike will use about 2.2 times the amount of fuel" compared to your present gas consumption.

Chef
12-20-2001, 11:39 PM
yea i dont race xc, i ride the sand, so i thought that the extra ponies would be nice. lol, sorry for the misunderstanding there

stevengates45
12-21-2001, 03:10 PM
u will have to purge it after you ride. in other words, run gas through the motor for about a minute. Never leave alcohol sitting in ur motor for a while

12-21-2001, 03:18 PM
pudjumper you got some pics of that sport??? I'm assuming its a polaris sport 400??? Reason I ask is I had one and really liked the dang thing,(got stolen),suspension and stuff wasn't worth a crap but I could rip through the woods on that thing probably faster than I can on my 400ex. And of course I had a pipe, silencer, clutch kit, rebuilt carb, K&N filter,,all the good stuff fer them polaris's..if you runnin alcohol in that thing I bet it absolutly rips tits..I use to outrun everyone I rode with except the guys on 250 dirtbikes,,them 2 wheel drive 400 sports are some fast quads..

DEAL
12-21-2001, 03:27 PM
I hope you realize that prolly every guy in this fourm that drinks alcoholic beverages has looked at this post.

stevengates45
12-21-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
I hope you realize that prolly every guy in this fourm that drinks alcoholic beverages has looked at this post.

haha I know! :D :D :D

Sandragggen
12-22-2001, 12:18 AM
Rico..I will scan some pic of the Polaris. It does in fact rip. It has put many of Banshee's on the trailer. I didn't know how well the reception would be on a EX site. Hear is a pic of one of my buddies (Eric's) Sport that is very similar to mine:

shock400ex32
12-22-2001, 07:50 PM
Why don't you just run like 110, 112, or 116 racing gas. Here's a fact: The alky will run better than race gas in the summer because it detonates cooler but during the winter the race gas will be better because it will detonate a little warmer than the alky. The alky also has to be flushed out of the quad if it sits for more than 3 days where as the race gas dosen't. The alky will also not give u a huge boost in power. It will probably only give you like a 2-3 hp increase where you can get your stock carb "worked on" and run racing gas and get the exact same. Get whatever you want but the alky will make your gas bill go up and also make your maitence much more time consuming. Whatever you get just have fun with your quad!

Chef
12-23-2001, 05:46 PM
My gas bill wont go up, because i already run Trick 112 and its quite a bit more money than alky. And since im already making around 51 hp at the rear wheels, im pretty sure the alky will give more of an increase than 2-3 hp. I think i read somewhere that you can gain around 20% with a properly tuned alky setup. Oh, one more thing, did you even read the whole thread? Because it was already discussed that if you use an additive it can sit longer, you just have to run your carb out.

Sandragggen
12-26-2001, 07:42 AM
The oil will have to be changed more than normal for alcohol will absorb water. Your oil will get a milky color if left in the motor to long. I'm planning to change mine every week after I ride so that the bearings don't sit in water.

Poncho
12-26-2001, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by pudjumper
Rico..I will scan some pic of the Polaris. It does in fact rip. It has put many of Banshee's on the trailer. I didn't know how well the reception would be on a EX site. Hear is a pic of one of my buddies (Eric's) Sport that is very similar to mine:

I've seen that bike before on another dune website.;)

12-26-2001, 08:06 AM
pudjumper thats a sweet 400 sport,,,Mine was yeller and purple,,probably not as fast as that one but yeah them things can haul some butt,,,I think it hurt my buddy more than it did me when mine got stolen,,he couldn't stay off of it when I wasn't riding it..:D

Chef
12-26-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by pudjumper
The oil will have to be changed more than normal for alcohol will absorb water. Your oil will get a milky color if left in the motor to long. I'm planning to change mine every week after I ride so that the bearings don't sit in water.

I already have to change my oil after every weekend of hard riding...