PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads Too Thick???

400exdad
04-10-2003, 05:14 AM
I've got a problem with my rear brake pads. I bought a good set of aftermarket pads for my 300EX. I have used this exact same pad in my 400 without any probs. Well, on the 300, I couldn't get the pads in. I pressed the piston all the way in... even loosened the bleeder screw. The pads simply wouldn't open enough to let the disc fit between them. The parking brake is removed.... Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

4TraxRider
04-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Just make sure that the piston is pushed all the way in. Also, if your disc is really wore down, where the pads rub will be thinner that the outside edge, if you get it over the edge, tehy might fit. If they are for several different brands, they arent going to be perfect, might have to shave them a little.

UglyMotha™
04-10-2003, 06:21 AM
ya i just got a new braking wave rotor and pad and the wave rotor is like a 1/16 thicker than the stocker and my caliper wouldn't go on so i......... GENTLY drove in on with a rubber mallet then rode it a little bit and they now work like a dream:o

Ex'r Marlin
04-10-2003, 08:31 AM
:confused: I am a little confussed too!

I am not saying that it should go on easy, but if the piston is fully compressed, there should be no trouble getting them on over the brake rotor.

BTW... What brake pads are they?

Thanks Uglymotha... I am getting a Braking Wave Rotor too... Now I know what I am in for!:( Hopefully I have the patience to use a rubber mallet!

UglyMotha™
04-10-2003, 08:46 AM
you should like it, real nice stopping power i was kinda bummed cause it's not exactly a wave rotor or least the same design as the ones you see in the ads, it kinda reminds me more or a rad rotor but it's still cool:cool:

Ex'r Marlin
04-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
but it's still cool:cool:
Yep... It is definetly cool! I agree, I thought it had a different design too... Oh well.

Good luck 400exdad... Let us know if you get them on ok.

ChadEXer
04-10-2003, 10:05 AM
I bought some aftermarket pads for mine one time and they were too thick and wouldnt fit too. They were for a 400EX, or packaged that way anyway, but would not go on! At first I thought I was doing something wrong but then just got a set of stock Honda pads and they went on real easy.

250x#93
04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I had a pair that would not go on either, but however I didn't have the patience:mad: to use a rubber mallet gently, so I figured pounding with a ballpeen hammer would work good, and it did work and they work great now :o

Rip_Tear
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
This kinda makes me laugh... I had problems getthing my brakes back on, both fronts and backs, I didnt change the pads or anything (I had them off to get the a-arms and swingarm off) They just didnt want to go on, as far as I know they are stockers, but maybe not...

UglyMotha™
04-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
This kinda makes me laugh... I had problems getthing my brakes back on, both fronts and backs, I didnt change the pads or anything (I had them off to get the a-arms and swingarm off) They just didnt want to go on, as far as I know they are stockers, but maybe not...

did you not compress your piston cause if you had they would have feel right into place

JOEX
04-10-2003, 03:24 PM
I've got a problem with my rear brake pads. I bought a good set of aftermarket pads for my 300EX. I have used this exact same pad in my 400 without any probs. Well, on the 300, I couldn't get the pads in. I pressed the piston all the way in... even loosened the bleeder screw. The pads simply wouldn't open enough to let the disc fit between them. The parking brake is removed.... Is there something I'm missing?

I recently replaced the pads and rotor on my 400 and had the same problem. I used a c-clamp too. After messing with for awhile I figured out that there is another part that needs to be pushed in as well as the cylinder. I can't remember exactly what the piece is but I think it's the mounting bracket.
Look for the part that has rubber boots on it and try pushing it back as well.

Joe

400exdad
04-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks Guys, but I found the real problem... I posted it here:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=536711#post536711

JOEX
04-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I had THAT problem too:rolleyes: but with the James Lucky plate. I took a dremel to the pin and shaved a bit off as suggested by other members here:).

Joe

Cannonball08
04-13-2003, 05:45 AM
You don't need to hit your caliper with a hammer! If your Brake pads are to thick you need to take the bolt with the allen head on the left side of you caliper all the way out then put it back in. Then your caliper will go on your rotor just fine.