PDA

View Full Version : +2 front end and Racing XC

Cannonball08
04-10-2003, 03:07 AM
Does anyone here race XC with a +2 front end? Or do you all think its to wide?

04-10-2003, 03:30 AM
not a very good idea.. I run a +1 and it's pushing it at some races. Some guys will tell you it's ok and they ride trails and stuff. But how many of them have raced an actuall XC like that is a different story. When they lay out tracks for XC..i've noticed the purposly put you between tight trees and ruts and rocks ect..it's not a paved highway like trails in someones riding area. I'd say go with +1 and if ya wanna run MX or whatever you still can with no problems..

exriderdude
04-10-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I'd say go with +1

Ex'r Marlin
04-10-2003, 09:17 AM
I think it is too wide. I have hit too many trees with the stock width while racing XC!:eek: :rolleyes: But then again, I am no pro!

I recently ordered plus 1" a-arms, but I also ordered 4+1 rims to bring me back to stock width.

Note: I have seen racers with wider setups that have done fairly well in the race, but even they say, "I wish I did not have as wide of a setup!":D

Good luck racing!

04-10-2003, 09:30 AM
I forgot to mention that I also run an adjustable LS axle and while racing XC it is setup to be as narrow as possible which is still 2 inches wider than stock and sometimes I barely fit between trees.:ermm: it will actually ride up the tree's sometimes and drop off on the other side. If i didn't race Mx too i'd have a stock width axle on the mofo..

Ex'r Marlin
04-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Lol's Rico... I can relate!!!:D

That is why I went with a minus 1" rear axle!!!:rolleyes:

04-10-2003, 09:50 AM
also having a wider front end than stock can lead you to clipping trees more often..:o as you can see from the bent stem in the pic below....:mad:

anywhereEx
04-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Rico, I know that you can put 400ex rear hubs on a cannondale to make the rear wider but how about a set of rear dale hubs on the ex? I do not see where it would not work and it would get you back close to stock width for xc and then just leave your hubs on your rims and switch them back and forth as needed.

and I am sure Jeff could get you a set easily:D

bluebaron
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
why does it bend like that:confused:

04-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
Rico, I know that you can put 400ex rear hubs on a cannondale to make the rear wider but how about a set of rear dale hubs on the ex? I do not see where it would not work and it would get you back close to stock width for xc and then just leave your hubs on your rims and switch them back and forth as needed.

and I am sure Jeff could get you a set easily:D

The dale rims would make it wider in the rear from what I've been told..we thought about that at the last race...:( But i'm ok..it's not all bad...:D

banshee07..that happened when i hit a tree and the steering jerked to the side so hard that when that metal stop plate hit the steering stop on the frame it bent...:ermm: It hurt alot and if i didn't have the thick houser tie-rods I woulda bent one like a twig...i'm surprised the spindle hung in there...:macho

Dave400ex
04-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Rico did you get 4+1 offset in your front beadlocks?

Also Marlin let me know how that works for you I am wanting to do the same thing. I want to get some standard travel Arens +1 arms and then 4+1 Race Rims or Beadlocks. I'm just not sure because if I get different Rims for the front I will have to get new for the Rear because the stock would look stupid. Rico how much did you pay for your Beadlocks all the way around, without the extra PC?

dhines
04-11-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Rico
It hurt alot and if i didn't have the thick houser tie-rods I woulda bent one like a twig...i'm surprised the spindle hung in there...:macho

Of course if you'd had a stock tie rod on there you'd be replacing a $5 part instead of a $60 part - and it may have absorbed a bit more of the impact and saved your wrist a little grief. ;)

04-11-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by dhines
Of course if you'd had a stock tie rod on there you'd be replacing a $5 part instead of a $60 part - and it may have absorbed a bit more of the impact and saved your wrist a little grief. ;)

very true, very true but meszaro being one of my sponsors has taken care of me very very well to say the least. :)

remlapr
04-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin

I recently ordered plus 1" a-arms, but I also ordered 4+1 rims to bring me back to stock width.

Won't that still be 1/2 inch wider on each side over stock? I thought the stock front rims are 3.5/2.5. Still sounds like it would probably be a good setup....

Ex'r Marlin
04-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
Won't that still be 1/2 inch wider on each side over stock? I thought the stock front rims are 3.5/2.5.
You know, I really do not know the answer to that.:confused2

Note: Now that you say that, it is starting to make sense to me now; I have what I believe 3+2 aftermarket rims, and they are definetly pushed out wider than the stockers.

Thanks for your input Remlapr!!:)

Cannonball08
04-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Screw it I already got them, If I don't like them then I will race MX LOL

trx400ex
04-13-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Rico did you get 4+1 offset in your front beadlocks?

Also Marlin let me know how that works for you I am wanting to do the same thing. I want to get some standard travel Arens +1 arms and then 4+1 Race Rims or Beadlocks. I'm just not sure because if I get different Rims for the front I will have to get new for the Rear because the stock would look stupid. Rico how much did you pay for your Beadlocks all the way around, without the extra PC?

The cheapest place to get beadlocks is from izzy burgard......in my opinion his service is below what it should be, but the price is so good that it makes up for it......now if you want fancy shamrocks or something i dont think that he sells them, but the ones he sells have the inner reinforcement ring and are polished pretty good too....of course that only lasts a week or two..

Dave400ex
04-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Yep I was talking about the Burgard beadlocks. They look very nice and are a great price. Does he offer just the race ring rim?