View Full Version : what kind of suspension is the best

insane250Racer
04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
i can get any kind of suspension i want TCS,ELKA,PEP,AXIS ...which would be the top of the line and i want normal travel not LT ..i wanna get the best shock i can please help

QuadTrix6
04-09-2003, 11:10 AM
IMO

PEP or AXIS

WildCatRacer
04-09-2003, 11:21 AM
there all great shocks. its just what ever you prefer. I like elkas and pep the best.

forum
04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
ELites!

wilkin250r
04-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by insane250Racer
i can get any kind of suspension i want TCS,ELKA,PEP,AXIS ...which would be the top of the line and i want normal travel not LT ..i wanna get the best shock i can please help

You're going to get a lot of different answers on that question. Likewise, without one brand being clearly better than the rest, I don't think you would be dissapointed with any of those choices.

PEP usually has the highest re-sale on ebay, so it may indicate something.

Sparks425Ex
04-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by forum
ELites!

Only if ya doing desert racing.. Otherwise they are not needed..

Not flaming just saying.. If ya want somone to talk to about that. Talk to Jeff@TQS.. I was told that over the phone from him when I was buying my Shocks...

ridesa02400EX
04-09-2003, 05:43 PM
axis

forum
04-10-2003, 03:31 AM
Is jeff god?

forum
04-10-2003, 03:34 AM
the reason i say that is because hi and low speed impacts are just as commonly diverse on the mx course when compared to baja. THe low speed impacts are usualy large rolling whoops while the hi speed impacts are landing jumps and ruts. I personaly think adjusting both differently is a benifit on the Track. and it seems doug gust thinks the same. they may be more benificial while using them in baja, but there are still large benifits in mx too.

cdalejef
04-10-2003, 04:58 AM
Is jeff god? Not quite, just one step below that.:p

Elites are more complex than most people can adjust.
The shocks were designed for desert racing, this is straight from Elka.

forum
04-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Jeff. I didn't mean to directly insult you. But some people take another persons sugestion to seriously and figure It's the definate answer. Im not saying you are wrong.! not at all. But Im sure they have a benifit in MX. I wanted the best elka's I could buy. So i went with the elites. Don't forget guys its not just the hi/low speed adjust but the titanium coated shafts prolong your shocks life sort and long term. and fade out less. The hi low adjustments may not benifit as much in mx when compared to baja. but it is still a benifit. (straight from ELKA) and my shocks were setup as MX elites

QuadTrix6
04-10-2003, 07:22 AM
heres a pick of my PEP as long as you don't mind waiting id get em

OutlawEX
04-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
IMO

PEP or AXIS

I agree i say pep is #1 and axis #2 but peps waiting time is -5

cdalejef
04-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Jeff. I didn't mean to directly insult you. But some people take another persons sugestion to seriously and figure It's the definate answer. Im not saying you are wrong.! not at all. But Im sure they have a benifit in MX. I wanted the best elka's I could buy. So i went with the elites. Don't forget guys its not just the hi/low speed adjust but the titanium coated shafts prolong your shocks life sort and long term. and fade out less. The hi low adjustments may not benifit as much in mx when compared to baja. but it is still a benifit. (straight from ELKA) and my shocks were setup as MX elites I wasn't insulted at all! I'm very hard to piss off....just ask Yann and Martin!;)

04-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I wasn't insulted at all! I'm very hard to piss off....just ask Yann and Martin!;)

notice he didn't mention my name...:o

forum
04-10-2003, 10:15 AM
outlaw. Have you riddin axis or elka?

d-14 rider 27
04-10-2003, 04:50 PM
my tcs long travels will be here tomorrow, i will ride them and let everyone know how they work. this time its for real, a company kept givin me the runaround when i called to ask about the status, im not sayin who cuz they gave me a hell of a deal on them, i coulda got my peps that i cancelled faster than these.:rolleyes:

JabberJaw
04-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop

Is Jeff god?
Not quite, just one step below that.:p

Wouldn't that be.... Satan?!?!?!?!?

haydug
04-10-2003, 05:31 PM
I must say that I love my tcs shocks, Todd really listens and does a great job of setting them up the first time you get them. I have tried pep and axis, the axis felt too plush for my taste, but they did work good. The pep are nice also, but way to expensive and way to long of wait. This is just my opinion, so don't take it to heart, but be sure what ever shock you get, you talk them before you order and make sure you don't lie about your weight and ability. I have guys order shocks from me and tell me they weigh 300lbs, because they believe they have to do that in order to compensate for a-arms, tires, and the fact that you can push down on the shocks when sitting, but they don't realize the different valve stacks for bottoming resistance and so forth. Do your research, you'll be happy. I've heard good things about Jeff at TQS also.

OutlawEX
04-11-2003, 08:49 AM
outlaw. Have you riddin axis or elka?

Yes few of my buddies have them on their quads and i riden them,why do u ask?:rolleyes:

zzbudzz
04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
TCS gets no respect ..no respect. i'll still ordered some ...

QuadTrix6
04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by zzbudzz
TCS gets no respect ..no respect. i'll still ordered some ...

i know what your saying, they are still a bit underground, not sure why :confused: i hear a lot of good things about them, i don't think they sponsor many riders if any so you don't hear about them much

forum
04-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
Yes few of my buddies have them on their quads and i riden them,why do u ask?:rolleyes:

Why do you think im asking? have you finished your quad yet?

anywhereEx
04-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I'd have to go with axis or elka's.... But it also depends on what you want out of them. I had Axis all the way around on my 400 and then moved the fronts over to my Speed and I absolutly love them. Anything is a improvement over stock and remember that you can change any shock around the way you want....

zps works:confused:
ssd ohlins:confused:
ssd axis:confused:

and yes pep's are nice but there is no way in h&ll I would cash out that kind of money to wate for 6 months....

d-14 rider 27
04-11-2003, 02:52 PM
guys i just got my tcs today, and at first when i put them on i noticed there was only like a 1 1/2" of shaft between the body and bumper but then found out the bumper will almost totally collapse and theres a stack of shims that can possibly be taken out to move it down, but i went for the first ride on them didnt ride it hard cuz im still makin sure everything is dialed on the 450, but then after rolling over some of my bigger jumps i went for it, and alls i gotta say holy sheep *****, these things are totally sweet. hate to say this with me being a die hard pep person, but tcs now gets my vote, to me they make my pep ltd mass feel like works, they are great now remember i have no basis of comparison with pep zps, but im very happy, also i was jumpin on the bumper and when i finally got the bumpers collapsed a long ways there was still at least an inch between the skid and the ground so no more v-plowing. they are awesome, and i highly reccomend these to anyone. ill let you know how they perform on the track sunday. :D

QuadTrix6
04-12-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by anywhereEx

zps works:confused:
ssd ohlins:confused:
ssd axis:confused:

:huh

anywhereEx
04-12-2003, 05:17 AM
All possible if you feel like playing around with them. A prior member that was banned had a set of works that were set up like ssd's. Alot of people convert the dale front ohlin's over(quadshop) And yes if you know what you are doing with valving and springs you can basically change shocks around easily. Making a simple point. Not everyone has big bucks but are creative......

No flame intended what so ever

and that was supposed to say ssd/works

QuadTrix6
04-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
All possible if you feel like playing around with them. A prior member that was banned had a set of works that were set up like ssd's. Alot of people convert the dale front ohlin's over(quadshop) And yes if you know what you are doing with valving and springs you can basically change shocks around easily. Making a simple point. Not everyone has big bucks but are creative......

No flame intended what so ever

and that was supposed to say ssd/works

its just strange to hear that cause if axis wanted SSD they would have done it to there shocks, all shocks have there own setup for a reason it just seems odd to mess with that, no flame intended either, im just a bit confused

OutlawEX
04-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Why do you think im asking? have you finished your quad yet?

I wouldnt of judged other shocks if i personally didnt know how they performed so i assumed that u would figure the same,but alot of ppl just say who they think is the best..But n-e ways my quad will be done in a few weeks:D

anywhereEx
04-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Well I have seen one person do it and it was pretty smooth. Granted I like the ssd of elka's but I do not think I would do it because I like the way my axis handle. I have considered finding a set of works for cheap and trying it if I get another 400. H&ll what can it hurt. Some people just prefer to stick with one brand and really like a option of something else.

I guess what I am saying is some of the most creative things come from the strangest places and not always the big time companies.