PDA

View Full Version : Time to cut the grass

Holty
04-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Spring time is near and i'm buying my first brand new lawn mower for my first new house. I'm very excited to do lawn work but I can't decide which mower to buy. I was hoping that everyone here who owns a lawn and does yardwork or has any experience with these mower could please give me your opinions or advice. All the mowers cost about the same at around $400.

Husqvarna 55R21HV 5.5hp with a Honda motor. side discharge, rear bagger, and mulcher. ball bearing wheels, one lever deck height adjuster.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node234.asp

Lawn-Boy with Duraforce commercial 6.5hp 2-stroke motor with basically all the same features of the Husqvarna

http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/...rpro/10324.html

Cub Cadet with 6.5HP Kawasaki OHV Engine, & Electric Start which none of the others have.

http://www.cubcadet.com/servlet/Bra...963&CAT=1&SUB=9

Craftsman 5.5hp with Honda motor, pretty much all the same features as the others, except front propelled instead of rear, which is the only reason i'm considering it.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1483005581.104 9916459@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfiadchmmdikgjcehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=LAWN&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=null&pid=07137850000

All of these mowers have about the same features and all are self-propelled. So basically i'm looking for the best engine i can get. I have about half an acre to cut and can't use a tractor because 90% of it is hillside some of it is very steep. I really would have made my decision on the Husqvarna already except that it has the smallest engine. Other than that I liked it the best but I really want to make sure I get a powerful, reliable engine.

Please help!

cudaman
04-09-2003, 09:40 AM
i dont know about the quality of all these mowe4rs, but it suer would be nice to have electric start. i wish i would have had electric start when it was 115 degrees outside and i was mowing 10 to 20 yards a day. anyway just something to consider

lil400exman
04-09-2003, 10:08 AM
i think the husky and the sears are the best imo...............but thats just me............briggs and stratton and honda make the best engines............ when me and my bro used to buff floors we used honda engines cause they were the only ones that could handle the heat from running on propane.........since buffing is indoors...................lol

cudaman
04-09-2003, 11:47 AM
yeah briggs and straton make good engines. i have a 5.5 mulcher and it works great.

bigbadbrad
04-09-2003, 11:55 AM
get an areins lawn tractor that is what i got and it is tough as hell
we have a red push mower 5hp big rear wheels and it has a mulcher option thing on it and it works just as well as the tractor does

honda400exrider
04-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I have an older ride on cub cadet that has held up very well. Although I have never rode on a newer one, or another brand, but it cuts well, and is fun to ride!:devil

ridered86
get something with a self propelled system that drives the rear wheels, not the front. and go with a husky if you can, cant beat them honda motors plus youll be gettin husqvarna quality.;)

Striker49
I would def go with the sears or a Murray.

http://www.murray.com/body_product_detail.asp?id=56&sid=&Store=

We have had 2 murray lawn tractors. One of em is ughh...20 years old this year and the sob still runs. The drive train finally went out on it though a year ago so we purchased an automatic 46" cut Murray which is very nice.

We have had hardly any trouble with either...the only big problems are deck belts breaking. We have Sweet Gum Trees ( i think thats what they are called) and the little prickly balls (about the size of a bouncy ball) get up in the belts and snap em alot.

Briggs and Stratton make good motors, they are hard to beat. :D

chavez
04-09-2003, 12:17 PM
BUY A GOAT
lol i bought a briggs and straton 4.8 quantum 3 years ago never changed the oil and heck ive used gas mixed with 2 stroke oil just got done mowing an hour ago still running great

Stevie-D
04-09-2003, 03:09 PM
get yourself a small ride on mower. weve got a 17 pony craftsman..i can pull small wheelies on pavement with it:rolleyes: :p

Glamis400ex
04-09-2003, 03:22 PM
I've even got a Honda lawn-mover...from SEARS.

works great.

Glamis

Grant2k
04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
i don't know if you've looked at them but we have a Toro with a 3hp briggs motor that must be coming up on 40 years old and it's still strong. it's longevity is thanks to it's aluminum deck. you can stand on that thing and ride it. my dad rebuilt the top end recently and it runs like it's brand new. starts first or second pull. but aluminum deck is the key.

Holty
04-10-2003, 03:01 AM
thanks for all the input! i really appreciate it. but i'm only choosing from the mowers i have listed. and only need a self-propelled push mower not a tractor.

400exKurt
04-10-2003, 04:56 AM
i like my ride on :D

honda400exrider
04-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah I would have to agree that ride ons kick ars!:eek2: When the lawn is wet I do doughnuts in my yard (I have a big yard so my parents don't see me.) :devil

hotrodhonda400
04-10-2003, 11:26 AM
CUB CADET !! their quality is second to none and their dealers are top notch and made here in the U.S.A. as well, let me put it like this" their the honda of lawn care products" go for a kohler Kawasaki or Honda engine and you will be mowing for a long time!!;)