PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a carb

mikeman828
04-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, I was having trouble with the high speed end of my carb when I was riding so I decided to take it apart to check it out...

What is the places I should inspect in the carb??? (When I would ride, giving it gas above 1/2 throttle would make my machine lose power and have a gurggling noise (?) It usually happenend after riding an hour or so....)

What is the best thing for cleaning the outside of the carb????

Any help is appreciated!!

:confused:

fuddrucker
04-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Carb cleaner inside and out. I replaced all the gaskets on mine when I gave it a complete cleaning. Not saying you need to replace yours, I just replaced mine because I had it all apart anyway and the whole gasket kit is like 15 bucks. Just make sure the float moves freely when putting it back together.

wilkin250r
04-09-2003, 09:05 AM
With a little mecanical know-how, you should be able to determine the path from the fuel line to the bowl, and then through the jets, as well as the accelerator pump, float valve, overflow, ect...

I'd spray carb cleaner through each fuel path to make sure you don't have any debris stuck in any of the passages.

If your quad has a gurgeling noise and loses power, it sounds like it is running really rich. I assume it ran ok at some point? Check your needle clip, and also check your airbox and boot to make sure you don't have something stuck in any of those restricting airflow. I'd clean the filter while your at it, to make sure your getting adequate air to your engine.

mikeman828
04-09-2003, 11:35 PM
I did pull the carb apart, but the screws holding the float cover on were starting to round out the heads and I couldn't get them out.
So, I couldn't do any further disassembly.... I pulled apart the accelerator pump, and removed the drain plug on the bowl, visually inspected the jet.

The thing that blows me away is that my machine runs mint for about an hour or so while riding, then it starts!!! The gurggling, or whatever it's doing..... I have a IDS2 Exhaust on it, but it was doing this with my original stock exhaust so I know that is not the issue. I will check my air filter, but I maintain this thing pretty thoroughly...... I think it's the neglect form the previous owner rearing it's ugly head !!!!

Thanks for the help...

:grr

wilkin250r
04-10-2003, 04:20 AM
The float cover? Do you mean the bowl? If your having any problems, it will most likely be there. Talk to your local shop, see if they can get it off, and then replace the screws so you don't run into the problem again.

mikeman828
04-10-2003, 05:18 AM
Yeah the bowl... I had a brain fart when I was writing the last post and couldn't remember what it was called...... Duh!!

I'll take it to a shop to see if they can help, Thanks...