PDA

View Full Version : STEELE CREEK Race Report GNCC Round 3

propartsracing
04-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey,

Here's something I whipped up for Dirtwheels. Hopefully, you'll like it & see it in a couple months in DW.

Trish

STEELE CREEK
Morganton, NC
GNCC Round 3

Round 3 of the GNCC Series landed upon the scenic Steele Creek campground facility in Morganton, NC. Racer Productions, the promotors, put together an extremely rough 10-mile track. One of the highlights for the fans, was the bridge that the racers navigated their way under in the stream & mud bogs. Fans were crowded on top of that bridge as the racers went under them. Some of those mud-bogs along the track got so bad that many racers, even Bill Ballance & William Yokely had to be pulled out with a tow rope by the spectators! Ballance & Yokely were grateful for the spectators help, without them, they probably wouldn’t have won their respective classes.

As the Pro & Pro Production top 20 overall in points standings started on the front row in the grassy field, it was Klotz/LRD backed Bill Ballance who grabbed the much sought after holeshot. He was followed closely by Team Safari/LRD/Pro Parts Racing’s Matt Smiley. The remainder of the Pro & Pro Production classes took off 1 minute later. This gives the top guns in each class an equal chance of capturing the overall win. The Pro Production class has really stepped up this year as many more Pro racers jumped ship to join the Pro Production class. Racers such as Yokely (#3), Brad Page (#5), & Johnny Gallagher (#14) are now mounted on Suzuki LTZ400’s with stock frames as opposed to the after-market framed 2-strokes.

The Pro Production class is in it’s sophmore year of the GNCC Series. The ATV manufacturers are really relishing this new class. In the past years, the Pro, among other, classes have turned into to an almost totally after-market ATV class which you can not buy in your local dealer showroom. For the Pro Production class, there are rules that each racer has to follow. Among them, they have to run 4-stroke ATV being made today and run the stock chassis & motor mounts, but they are allowed to modify other area’s of the ATV. The promoters & racers feel this class will help put the spotlight back on the ATV’s currently being produced on the market today. With this new class, the manufacturers are really starting to step up their racing support by offering contingencies & helping dealerships supply top racer’s with new ATV’s to race. Let’s give a BIG welcome back to the manufactures & Racer Productions for starting this class!

As the racers battled for the lead, Ballance was soon being challenged by 20-year old, East Coast/LRD backed Chris Borich (#4). Smiley soon dropped out of the race with a mechanical failure. This particularly hurts Smiley since this is his 3rd DNF this season. Last season, Smiley was nick-named Mr. Consistency for his ability to finish on the podium at almost all the GNCC races, this season he sure needs some of that consistency back! Borich, however, proved to be a force to be reckoned with on this sunny day. Ballance & Borich quickly pulled their lead away from 3rd, 4th & 5th overall, K&K’s Greg Trew, Four-Stroke Tech’s Chad Duvall & Yoshimura/IMS/ITP/Nac’s/Roll backed William Yokely who compete in the Pro Production class by mid-race.

Borich gained the lead as he passed Ballance who was stuck in a mud-hole. It took 5-6 spectators with a tow strap to pull him out! Ballance made a hard charge to catch Borich. Borich was leading the last lap until he crashed pretty hard. “I caught a kicker and it threw me over the bars. The hardest part today was picking the right lines.” Said Borich. At this point, Yokely was now leading the Production class in a raging battle with Duvall. Yokely had charged so hard, he was within sight of Ballance & Borich. Once he saw him, he decided to plow hard through the middle of a deep mud hole & got stuck. The spectators, again, saved the day & pulled him out.

At the checkers, it was Bill Ballance with the overall win, with Borich finishing 2nd 30 seconds back. “Chris ran a real good pace today” said Ballance. Yokely & Duvall charged hard to finish in 3rd & 4th overall while placing 1st & 2nd in their Pro Production class. Yokely commented after the race “my bike was working awesome, but I was getting some arm pump out there”. Others racers agreed & many had lots of blisters on their hands to prove what a rough track it was.

Here’s someone to keep an eye on… Four-Stroke A’s Bryan Cook seems to be making quite a name for himself. After finishing 1st in the GA GNCC & an impressive 4th Overall, he continued his winning streak. He won the Four Stroke A class again in Steele Creek and, again, placed in the top 10 overall finishing 9th!

In the morning race, there was a continuous battle for the overall lead between top women’s contender, Traci Cecco & 4-stroke stock racer, Adam Howell. Cecco, now mounted on a Team Alba backed Suzuki Z400 crashed hard in the first turn leaving her main rival Stephanie Parton to grab the holeshot. Cecco charged hard catch up to Parton & Angel Atwell who was now leading. Cecco passed both Parton & Atwell and held her lead for the last 3 laps. Meanwhile, Adam Howell who is now competing on a Kawasaki V-Force 700 was on auto-pilot most of the race as 2nd place was more than 2 minutes behind him throughout the race. He was set on gaining time to secure his overall win against Cecco who started on the first row. Even though Traci crossed the finish line first (right in front of him), Howell gained the overall win with the extra minute deducted from his time.

Other finishes:

Pro: 1. Bill Ballance 2. Chris Borich 3. Santo Dirisi
Pro Production: 1. William Yokely 2. Chad Duvall 3. Brad Page
250A: 1. Ray Lippencott 2. James Wahl 3. Dirk Decesare
4-stroke A: 1. Bryan Cook 2. Duane Johnson 3. Jeff Stoess
Open A: Dave Hogg 2. Brian Schmid 3. Michael Lucas

Top 10 Overall Points going into Round 4:
1. Bill Ballance – 81
2. Chris Borich – 54
3. William Yokely – 46
4. Brad Page – 44
5. Chad Duvall – 43
6. Johnny Gallagher – 36
7. Brandon Ballance – 35
8. Greg Trew – 30
9. Bryan Cook – 30
10. Chris Jenks – 25

Next Race is Big Buck GNCC in Union, SC on April 12th. Come & see if Ballance will pull off another win or if Smiley will make a big return!

propartsracing
04-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey again,

Forgot to mention, in future articles, I am planning on putting results & highlights in for other classes too (in addition to the Pro reports). It's really too lengthy to do every class in one article... so if you're class isn't mentioned this time, keep a look out in the future articles.

Thanks for understanding!

Trish

Extremeracer167
04-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Trish,
Great Article, keep up to good writing!!

OCCRA288
04-09-2003, 03:45 AM
Hey Trish,

Great Article just one problem though. You misspelled Derisi in the Pro finishes.

propartsracing
04-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Oops... I'll make sure I correct that next article! Thanks for your responses.

Trish

660bigdaddy
04-09-2003, 07:58 AM
nice report trish. nice to see someone write for dirt wheels that knows something about our sport. keep up the good work.

cdalejef
04-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Can we make Cook turn pro?:(

04-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Can we make Cook turn pro?:(

I wonder if he bags groceries during the week since he does a dang good job of baggin sand on the weekends....:eek:

Extremeracer167
04-09-2003, 08:22 AM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thats freagin HILARIOUS!!!!!

But the sad thing is, he cant turn pro yet. Not until this weekend(if he wins). I believe the rule states that an A class rider must win 3 races to be eligable to move to pro. SOmething along those lines anyways

Wingnut
04-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thats freagin HILARIOUS!!!!!

But the sad thing is, he cant turn pro yet. Not until this weekend(if he wins). I believe the rule states that an A class rider must win 3 races to be eligable to move to pro. SOmething along those lines anyways

But, then in the pro classes every race counts for the championship. So if he does move up for Loretta's, he will already be way behind in points. So, I don't see that there is much incentive for him to move up to pro production. BTW, do y'all realize he is only starting his third year of racing?

cdalejef
04-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Thats correct!

jlhughes750
04-09-2003, 10:23 AM
i talked to Rita and she said if an A rider wins 1 race, they can move up. About points, hey if your that fast who cares about your class points run for the overall!!! He'll aquire overall points as opposed to class points and those points will follow u from one calss to another. In other words, the A class champ could end up with 43 on his bike next year while the 5th place finisher gets # 20. Its because #20 had a few better overall finishes.

I'd rather wear #15 and get 3rd in my class then win the points and wear #26. Does that make sense to y'all

later, J

propartsracing
04-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey again.

Actually, Jimmy Wahl (who's racing the 250A class) told me that he was told that he had to win 3 races in an A class before turning Pro this year. He actually ran Pro a couple of years ago & was #10! However, Racer made him race the A class before competing in the Pro classes again.

Trish

TLC
04-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Trish, I never new you had such a writing talent. :) I love the excitement you put in the article. Great job!

My brother was videotaping at the mud pit. The guys with the tow strap were having a blast.

cdalejef
04-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Did he get rick on tape getting stuck?:devil

holeshot19
04-09-2003, 03:14 PM
but i once herd that cook layed bricks for a liveing. but any how santo dersi is his neighbor when you can ride and learn all a pro can show u. then it makes since.

popo
04-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Excellant job Trish! Do you give grammer lessons. I need help on my police reports. Example. Dude stole car,dude was caught and dude put in jail with bubba.

465Stroker
04-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Did he get rick on tape getting stuck?:devil
Deez Nuts - Jeffy....:huh

popo
04-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Rick, I sent you a PM

465Stroker
04-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Back attacha... Popo

04-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
Deez Nuts - Jeffy....:huh

LMFAO...:devil

Cook a dang fast rider and should rider were he wants...I just had the throw the sandbagger thing in there for Jeff...:o

propartsracing
04-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by popo
Excellant job Trish! Do you give grammer lessons. I need help on my police reports. Example. Dude stole car,dude was caught and dude put in jail with bubba.

Popo,

I'm LMAO... you're too funny! Everyone.... thanks for the compliments, hopefully we'll have an exciting race to report on this weekend! Hopefully, Smiley will be on top of the podium this time after all the bad luck he's had at the first 3 rounds!

Trish

monkeyboy
04-10-2003, 02:52 AM
i hop jonny C wins da race,,he reely fass....:macho :scary:

cdalejef
04-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
Deez Nuts - Jeffy....:huh Hey, now your getting personal!:mad: