PDA

View Full Version : getting the holeshot

exracer
04-08-2003, 02:58 PM
does anyone have any tips on how to get the holeshot?

What gear to start in, ect.......

Help would be appreciated
thanks,
:)

bansheerider_13
04-08-2003, 03:07 PM
well there not 2 many tips but heres how i do it line up 3-4 feet away from where the gate drops start in 2nd gear and after the board goes sideways just keep inching up on the gate and when it drops dump the clutch and ur outta there in this is my results most of the time

bansheerider_13
04-08-2003, 03:08 PM
one where i totally destoryed everyone on here

racerx573
04-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, rolling starts own!! I usually start in 2nd on my R, after the card goes sideways creep toward the gate and slowly let out the clutch and when they drop hammer it and go...make sure u powershift...(dont let off the gas while shifting!!!)..

I-7
04-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Im not that good but what i do is i hold my clutch half way out, right before you would start moving and as soon as you see the gate drop, jam the throttle and drop the clutch. Only try it in 2nd gear if you feel comfortable with it. It takes practice, practice, practice:macho !

exracer
04-08-2003, 03:19 PM
anyone else have an opinion?

jay's 300
04-08-2003, 03:22 PM
practice your starts from point A to B, trying diff methods and see which one works for u! :D

mxdave28
04-08-2003, 03:22 PM
thats easy..... WFO NO BRAKES!!!!:devil

another thing to think about when approching the corner...MOVE OR BE MOVED dont hesitate or this will happen it hurt for a little bit hehehe :p ......

racerx573
04-08-2003, 04:10 PM
here's my method in action....

racerx573
04-08-2003, 04:11 PM
'nother..

remlapr
04-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Do you guys start in second when play dragging??, I never even considered it - I just try to get up on the tank and slip the clutch in first and keep the front end somewhere near the ground...

04-09-2003, 02:24 AM
I always start in 1st,,,I hold the clutch with only 2 fingers...I don't dump the clutch but once it's out I hammer the mofo down WOT thru as many gears as I can.....Try doing a dead engine start like we do in XC racin.....whole different story compared to lining up at a gate...:D My first MX race of the year is next week so I'm super anxious about actually being able to start a race with a motor that's running....:macho

LapTraffic
04-09-2003, 08:38 AM
My first MX moto was 2 weeks ago, I killed it, then the next Moto I wheelied all the way down the straight. Takes some practice to stay cool in amongst 15 other bikes.

QuadR8cer12
04-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Here is my friend geting the hole shot on his 330R in the bottom pic and his older bro geting stuck in the back of the whole shot on his warrior in the top pic(there is text on the pic because I use it on my web site Evolution ATV (http://www33.brinkster.com/evolutionatv) )

WildCatRacer
04-09-2003, 11:13 AM
gear selection depends on your quad and on the line you have in front of you. I like to roll, but not from four feet back. let the clutch slip and watch the little pin on the gate next to you, when you see that little pin move release the clutch smoothly....dont just dump it, you will spin or wheelie. once your rolling you can run it hard through all the gears. body positioning is also very important. the most important thing though is to STAY FOCUSED! hope this helps.

nick23
04-09-2003, 12:52 PM
after pullin the hole shot...out front!

MojaveKing
04-09-2003, 02:10 PM
how about Drag racin...wit freinds like on a Gravel/dirt road......kinda the same rigth.......i start in 2nd.....and dump the cluth......
make sure u powershift...(dont let off the gas while shifting!!!).. could u do this when drag racing.........just hold the gas....full bore.....how about the cluth......Use it when Powershiftin.?

kevsracin
04-10-2003, 11:44 AM
dont take your eyes off the corner, look where you want to go, hhet helps a lot, start in 2nd, and dont just dump the clutch, ease out to get traction.

Sparks425Ex
04-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Well I start about 3 feet from the gate... When the card is sideways I start creeping up. 2nd gear is my gear of choice.. When the gate drops I am a little farther back but I don't have to be conservative with as much throttle like the guys right on top of it...Cause they have to worry about getting hung up on the gate if they jump early..

Body forward and elbows up.. As soon as ya outta the gate get your Arse back and slam the gears.. Getting as much traction as possible.. If ya pulla wheelie don't let it get to far back... Or ya will lose traction..

WildCatRacer
04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
wheres the indoor racing at? looks sweet. we have a indoor series here over the winter. www.motocityraceway.com

exracer
04-10-2003, 03:36 PM
when powershifting, do u use the clutch, or use the clutch but just keep the throttle pegged all the time?
:confused:

WildCatRacer
04-11-2003, 04:54 PM
depends on your machine. sometimes you may need to clutch it a little or let off the gas. missing a gear is as bad as not power shifting at all. like on the predator you need to clutch it or it wont shift.

kicken250x
04-12-2003, 04:32 PM
alot of you say dump the clutch and start slammin gears, but from experience i would dissagree. how you start depends on the line condition, your tires, your power, tendancy to wheelie and the run up to the first turn. the 2 best ways are the roleing and the stand still (and those are the only 2 i know of lol).

befor you ever even think about loading your bike up and heading out to the races take your bike out and find somewhere you can get someone to time you. find out the highest gear you can start in without the bike bogging, it will save you from having to shift so much and save you time. also find out just how much throttle you can give it without going over and ending up on your butt.

ok, you know what gear to start in and how much throttle you can give her right off the start. now, you want to watch a few motos befor you line up (the more the better, you need to watch atleast 5) and check the guy that throws the gates timeing. get a stop watch and time from when the 30 board goes sideways to the time the gate hits the gound. see if he/she as some kind of pattern or almost set time he throws it at. this will help alot in getting the holeshot.

you want to get out of there as fast as possiable. you want to keep the front end down and wheels moving you forward, not just spinning. the roleing start is good for a slick starting line and almost eliminates the chance of getting stuck in the gate.

for the roleing start i find the best thing to go is put your bike in 2nd gear and get about 3 ft back from the gate or and the middle of the guy beside yous nerfs. if the gate man has some sort of pattern he throws the gate at then count half that time and then start movin towards the gate slowly at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and when it drops roll the clutch in fast but smooth (if its wet just a little slower) then drop back once you know the front end will stay down and start slammin through the gears as fast as you can!

for starting at a stand still (because some tracks dont allow roleing starts), use the gear and throttle combo you determined for the best start previously and line up. kinda sit up on the tank a little bit and get over the front end get your elbows up. use the same counting thing i told you about befor. let the clutch out fast and controled but dont dump it or you will spin the tires.

well thats all i can think about at the moment, plus my hands are hurting lol. sory for the long post but this will help you out in getting that holeshot! good luck! later...:cool:

Nausty
04-13-2003, 03:44 AM
lol, I like that "move or be moved". Thats the way it is too but I think i'd classify myself as the mover:D I do the rolling starts and last year I was getting holeshot after holeshot almost every race. I start off in 2nd gear, and do a rolling start and I don't dump the clutch but have it where it starts to catch that way I don't just spin the tires and can still let it out quick and smoothly. Also about once you shift into 3rd you should start lean back as far as you can and the main thing imo is using the power you got and trying not to spin the tires to much and just barely keep the front end on the ground the hole time. Also when you lean back try to stay as low as possible to get the max traction without having to worry about wheelieing as much.

lol, I hope this post makes sence. I don't feel like rereading it.

exracer
04-13-2003, 01:39 PM
thanks a bunch for all the info

at the race this weeked i managed to screw up the start on the first moto but powered my way into 2nd at the first turn

the second moto on the other hand i got the holeshot by about 2 quad lengths, but ended up with second in both:( , i am still happy considering it was only my first race

thanks again

ridesa02400EX
04-13-2003, 05:19 PM
i asked my friend who races dirtbikes the same question and he told me just to look at the line of bikes then look at the first turn and think to yourself that all those bikes are going to try and go through that little turn all at once and you dont want to be caught up in all of those bikes so just stay on the gas and dont let off

MxDale71
04-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Dude, just work on your own style. There are so many things that factor in. Like your quad, mods, terrain, tires, suspension, your size and weight, and your own personal riding style.

The basics: lean forward and actually push down on the handlebars, and watch the pin that holds up the gate instead of the gate itself. Also, don't crowd the gate... I back off of it about a foot.

Those are the basics, but other than that, you just gotta go out there and see what you and your quad can do together to get you to that corner fastest. These guys can tell you all about how they do it, but that won't make a *****'s worth of difference if you have a different riding style. Get one of your buddies to time you and try different *****.

QuadTrix6
04-14-2003, 07:18 AM
practice makes permanace ;)

QuadR8cer12
04-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Yeah practice makes perfect.. But dont do this.... he had to fly outa there in a helicopter.....Notice the leg pretty much touching his shoulder:eek: thats a broken femer:confused2 :ermm:

MxDale71
04-14-2003, 03:51 PM
When I first heard about that happening to someone on a C-dale at badlands, I thought that I might know the guy. Turns out, I thought right. He was the guy I was talkin to pretty muchly the whole day at Nocona. Cool guy, really sucks that that happened. That looks like he did that on the choice triple though... definitely not in the first corner.

TheX1992
04-15-2003, 04:08 AM
my tip - tie a rope to everyones grab bar and wrap it around the nearest tree, except yours of course. :muscle:

QuadR8cer12
04-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992
my tip - tie a rope to everyones grab bar and wrap it around the nearest tree, except yours of course. :muscle: LOL I did that once but for some reason they black flaged me when I went by the finish line:confused:

MXDizale- I knew you would be the one to say that , that wasnt on the hole shot;) but stuff like that happens all the time in the hole shot though... I broke my colar bone at Village Creek doing something like that:rolleyes: