PDA

View Full Version : clutch!??

mod300ex
04-08-2003, 12:24 PM
i just got a clutch kit for my 300ex its a baranett and it has all the plates and the springs.!is it hard to put them in is htere ne tihng i shuld know and shuld i soke them in oil over night befor i install them>>>i heard u shuld!...thanks for the info!!!is this a hard project/

quad_62
04-08-2003, 01:11 PM
no, it's not that hard of a project, you probably need to have a right side cover gasket since the one there now will probably be ruined. about 3 months ago i replaced my clutch in my 400ex, and did a guy's banshee clutch last week, and they are really not that hard. make sure you drain the oil first. and yeah, soak the plates for an few hours and make sure the metal plates have a film of oil on them when you put them in.

good luck,

Andy

AtvMxRider
04-08-2003, 01:23 PM
You don't have to drain the oil but I always changed the oil when I install new clutch plates. You can just turn the quad onto it's side. remove the clutch cover and remove old clutch plates. Check for wear in the clutch basket and pressure plate. soak the new plates in the oil you will be using in the quad.install the new plates and reinstalle pressure plate. When tightening springs they don't have to be super tight just hand tight cause the spring will keep them from coming loose.

mod300ex
04-08-2003, 02:52 PM
thanks

mod300ex
04-08-2003, 02:52 PM
ne key parts i shuld know about?

EHSRACING
04-08-2003, 04:09 PM
just pay attention how it comes apart then put it back together the same way replacing the disks

mod300ex
04-09-2003, 10:57 AM
it wont hurt to tip it up on its side to put it in?

AtvMxRider
04-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mod300ex
it wont hurt to tip it up on its side to put it in?

Nope.

400grl
04-09-2003, 12:56 PM
You can use a ziplock bag to soak your plates in - or else the bag your clutch stuff came in if it's not ruined.....and I didn't use a gasket when I put my case back on....I used sealant. That works well, too.

nick23
04-09-2003, 12:57 PM
one word

hinson billet

mod300ex
04-09-2003, 02:32 PM
actualy thats 2 words lol playin........1 word "expensive!!!!" lol

nick23
04-10-2003, 12:07 AM
hahahaha..i am a turd...but still.....u get the point..i have a hinson billet and i love it guyz!

monkeyboy
04-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by nick23
hahahaha..i am a turd...but still.....u get the point..i have a hinson billet and i love it guyz!

oynot400
04-10-2003, 03:13 AM
One other thing is to scuff the steel plate. By roughing them up it give the fibers a little more to bite to. I rubbed mine on some old concrete. It doesn't take much, and be sure to clean them off with some carb cleaner before you install them. I put my fibers in a coffee can to soak them over night. That or you could use Rico's exhaust system! :eek2: :D

OutlawEX
04-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by EHSRACING
just pay attention how it comes apart then put it back together the same way replacing the disks

AndrewRRR
04-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Hinson has a thing about using a barnett (or any kevlar) clutch with their clutch baskets, but I've been running a barnett in mine for about a year and it still looks fine. I've heard stories of grooving, but we'll see.
I remember when I installed my clutch (it was the barnett dirt digger) the instructions said to soak the fiber plates in oil (any cheap motor oil will do, i used Napa 10w-40) for 10 minutes. It said soaking any longer will be of no benefit, go figure. Just make sure the oil you soak them in or the oil you use in your tranny doesn't have any friction reducing additives like some car motor oils have. Your clutch wouldn't like that ;)
Another thing I noticed was there was a paint stripe down the edge of all the friction plates (somebody held them together and painted a swipe down all of them). I don't know if it really matters since they are the same dimensions all the way around but when I put them in I lined up the paint stripe anyway. Anybody know why they do this?