PDA

View Full Version : help im running too rich

luvmyex
04-08-2003, 10:43 AM
I fouled out a plug just putting around the nats at birch creek.Its been rich but not fouling the plug bad.When i went to start after going up there it wouldnt start.It was Sunday and i didnt have a new plug,so i cleaned up one of my old plugs and put it in.Started fine.Only ran 30 seconds or so,then wouldnt start next time.Fouled wet plug.Cleaned the plug i first took out and rode all day on that.Little hard to start but started every time.Went to start it today and again wouldnt start.Ok when i rejeted i moved the clip down one notch from the top(From stock setting). put in a 158 main,42 pilot.open air box with K&N.And the airscrew is at 3 1/2 turns out.It didnt seem to run good before i moved the clip.My big question is how should i lean it out some?Go down on the jet or go back to stock setting on the neddle?Its been running ok before putting around at the race,but it was rich.But i was also told to run rich during breakin so i didnt worry about it before now. So help me out to lean it up some.If i do move the clip back up,what else would i need to do to get it to run smooth?It sputtered when i just put in the jet so i moved it down and it cleared up.

Doibugu2
04-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Seems like your fouling out when your at low idle. Which would mean the main jet isn't even coming into play.

Its just idling and fouling out, right? Try turning your air mix down a 1/2 turn. If not go in and switch back the needle to stock position.

luvmyex
04-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Im not sure if its just at idle or not.Like i say it ran ok after cleaning the plug and riding.But the last two times i have gone to start it after its has sit for a day or three it wont start.Plug is wet and black. And when the clip was at stock setting i couldnt get it to stop spitting and popping.Less or more on the air screw at stock setting???

luvmyex
04-08-2003, 02:42 PM
any other thoughts on this.Im going out of town this weekend and i want to get this cleared up before then.

EHSRACING
04-08-2003, 04:05 PM
i would try giving it a little more air turn you air screw out a 1/2 turn and try it also is your air cleaner been cleaned in awhile? alot of people actually dont check them very much

luvmyex
04-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Screw is already at 3 1/2 turns out. And the filter was just cleaned before the last ride.I just put the clip back at stock position.and went in on the screw about 1 1/2 turns.It didnt get a chance to read the plug, but i did ride it around the lot next door.It seemed good but i can barely get into 2nd gear before i have to stop.Went up the street once tru 4th and it ran good.Didnt smell as rich either.So maybe i have it taken care of.Ill have to check the plug tommrow.

400ex99
04-09-2003, 05:39 PM
by lowering the clip, it raises the needle which lets more gas flow, which makes it richer; raising the clip loweres the needle letting less gas flow which makes it leaner;
the screw your adjusting is a FUEL screw, turn out makes it richer, turn in makes it leaner.
so i would start by turning in the fuel screw then riding it, do this until it leans out some. if u have to keep turning the screw in, then i would raise the clip back up then adjust the fuel screw again. hope this helps:blah