PDA

View Full Version : 250 EX neutral start

ZJack
04-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I have a 250EX that my wife rides, and see is always having trouble when it stalls, getting it to neutral so she can restart, does anyone know how to bypass this safety feature?

Hopfuly there is a simple wire to cut.

4TraxRider
04-08-2003, 10:24 AM
I know on the 400ex, you twist the wires together to allow it to start in gear. I can check to see if the 250 is the same tomarrow.

toby400ex
04-08-2003, 12:59 PM
if her 250ex stalls there is something wrong with it, they are automatic clutches:huh

rider250ex
04-08-2003, 02:52 PM
I know on the 400ex, you twist the wires together to allow it to start in gear. I can check to see if the 250 is the same tomarrow.

dont u just have to pull in the clutch to start the 400 in any gear:confused:

Chanman420q
04-08-2003, 02:58 PM
my 400 already starts in gear and i didnt twist anything i just pull the clutch in. But i also got a stock perch:confused:

ZJack
04-09-2003, 03:18 AM
The idle was too low, causing the stalling. I have fixed that part, but I want to start in any gear anyway, it dose still have trouble when it is cold and it is anoying to have to find neutral to restart especialy if it is on a hill.

What wires do you twist together?

UglyMotha™
04-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by ZJack
The idle was too low, causing the stalling. I have fixed that part, but I want to start in any gear anyway, it dose still have trouble when it is cold and it is anoying to have to find neutral to restart especialy if it is on a hill.

What wires do you twist together?

are you talking about a 250x, cause a 250ex should never stall unless it has some issues or somthing

MIKE400EX
04-09-2003, 05:35 AM
Every 250EX that I've seen has been noticeably harder to find neutral than on a 400EX. Synthetic oil helped ours alot.

ryanh250ex
04-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ZJack
I have a 250EX that my wife rides, and see is always having trouble when it stalls, getting it to neutral so she can restart, does anyone know how to bypass this safety feature?

Hopfuly there is a simple wire to cut.

is she having trouble shifting down to neutral?

if that's the case, simply rock the bike left and right and then try shifting. this is an idiot-proof way of doing it if it dies on you and you need it to get back in neutral, without cutting wires and stuff.

ZJack
04-09-2003, 08:50 AM
So it sounds like nobody knows how to do this, I will have to find the info somwhere else. I know how to get it to neutral, I don't want to.

UglyMotha™
04-09-2003, 09:38 AM
you can't start it in gear it's not like you have a clutch that you can pull in:huh you goin to end up tearin somthing up cause that'll be alot of stress on the starter when you trying to start it up and it's still engauged in gear then it's trying to turn the crank plus move the quad

ZJack
04-09-2003, 09:59 AM
The starter will not turn the moter fast enough to engauge the sintrifical clutch, and you still need to rave the left lever in (rear brake)

I wasn't looking for all the resons not to do it, let me make that decision. Ijust wanted to know if anyone knows how to do it.

250exriderjamie
04-09-2003, 10:11 AM
if you ever turn it off in gear or stalls(never happened to me) but, what works is if you just shake the quad around alittle bit and it should shift right down more easly, but, you cant turn it on in gear which you probably already know

Dusty
04-09-2003, 10:19 AM
ZJack,

I have to laugh about this. I know exactly what your asking. This forum doesn't have alot of folks with an auto clutch. It was a very simple modification on my Xpedition, but i haven't tryed yet on the Honda. It just involved a permanent ground from the starter solenoid, instead of a neutral only ground. I don't have a schematic but if you do it should be easy to figure out. You should be able to disconnect the ground wire coming from the neutral light (or in that circuit), to the solenoid, and just cap it. Then provide a permanent ground from the solenoid. Like I said i haven't even looked at the honda to try this, so look it over, and get a schematic before you try.

Brian

coondawg
05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
i have on 07 250ex and i was just wondering if any has found out how to bypass the nuetral saftey switch

fearlessfred
05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
dusty is on the right track,i just checked my kids 250ex. And he is right about it grounding the starter solinoid, underneath the left fender on theframe rail there are 2 wires that have connecters, one is green they both come from the starter solinoid i disconnected the green wire and grounded the side back to the sol. and it would turn over in gear but not start . i stopped there . the sun started going down and i couldnt see