PDA

View Full Version : PEP Steering dampner

nacs400ex
04-08-2003, 09:08 AM
For those of you with a PEP steering dampner can you please post a pic of your mounting. I just got a dampner, but no instructions. I mounted it but I wanna make sure I have it right. Cause at first it was hitting my oil sump cap, but I got over that problem, and its mounted fine. I just want some reassurance.

Thanks
Craig

04-08-2003, 09:15 AM
should I get a steering dampner now & wait to get shocks untill the summer, or shhould I just get works shocks w/o rezzies in another month or 2? I have my 400ex stock shocks still. Is the steering dampner worth it? what does it do exactly never quit understood it..

QuadTrix6
04-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
should I get a steering dampner now & wait to get shocks untill the summer, or shhould I just get works shocks w/o rezzies in another month or 2? I have my 400ex stock shocks still. Is the steering dampner worth it? what does it do exactly never quit understood it..

i have been looking into getting a steering dampner aka steering stabalizer and from reading other peoples comments they seem to be worth every penny. it reduces arm pump and stops the bars from getting jerked out of your hands when going through rough section, i think there more popular for XC but a lot of MX guys run them too. PEP is good but most guys say that denton is the best, its rebuildable and has 7 diff adj

wheeltrax
04-08-2003, 09:21 AM
The steering dampner helps eliminate the bars jerking, basically minimizing bump steer. It makes it more comfortable to ride. It is kinda like shocks for your steering. they take the impact so you dont.

nacs400ex
04-08-2003, 09:34 AM
to tell you the truth get some Elka's, They are way better. But I dont really know what stabilizer is better, but I also heard the Denton is better. But I got this with my other rebuilt 400ex. So I dunno, nobody knows how it mounts properly? Right now I have it going from my left mount to the steering stem. Thats how the guy said to put it on, but it was confusing on what he said. So if somebody could help me I would appreciate that.

Quadfather
04-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Marcums ATV quit selling the PEP stabilizers, because they are notorious for blowing seals. Not the kind that balances beach balls on their noses, either.

Terry didn't have one kind word for the PEP. Take it for what it's worth.

Giz400ex
04-08-2003, 01:35 PM
It sounds like you have it right!!! If it was hitting the oil cap, raise it higher on the stem. So far, I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't had a problem yet.

nacs400ex
04-08-2003, 01:37 PM
This is probably a stupid question but I have never had a steering dampner blow a seal before, so how do I know when this happens?

Giz400ex
04-08-2003, 01:39 PM
It will probably feel like you don't have a dampner at all!!!

JD400exrider
04-08-2003, 07:00 PM
I have a mussle dampner. Rebuildable with seven adjustments. Could not tell the difference between the denton or the mussle when looking at them.

Bought it from C&D

nacs400ex
04-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Alright, thanks for your help Giz

AndrewRRR
04-09-2003, 06:01 PM
I had the early PEP (the non-rebuildable one). It made a great improvement in the high speed stuff. I did end up blowing the seal out though. You will know when it happens. Your bars shake a lot more, then you hear a squishy sound. You then look down and see shock oil squirting all over your front end when you turn the handlebars. LOL.
The next one I get will be a Denton Alloy. Make sure to get a rebuildable one, because they do blow out, and you are out $130 bucks if you don't have a rebuildable one.
On my R, I mounted mine under the radiator, to one of the front motor mounts (it was orignally for a 400ex, and I had no instructions). It worked good, although a little close to the exhaust.

YLW400
04-29-2003, 03:45 AM
Is the rebuild something you can do yourself? Or do you have to send it away? How much does a rebuild cost?

AndrewRRR
04-29-2003, 04:48 AM
It's probably something you can do yourself. They are less complicated than a shock and I don't think they are charged with nitrogen or anything. I think they sell "rebuild kits" for them.

elka400
04-29-2003, 07:05 AM
sounds like you got it right ,depending on the setting on it you will have to adjust it for clearence. it didn't seem to do anything for me until higher speeds xc . so i went with the next option for arm fatigue and handling and put on some elka triple rates with rezzies comp adjustable. like a caddy .

nacs400ex
05-05-2003, 10:09 AM
I hear ya Elka400, I love my shocks :D