PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Scam or Not???

FourFiftyFour
04-08-2003, 08:06 AM
OK i get these e-mails from a place called joeauto.com

Hello,

We have a customer interested in purchasing your 1987 Honda 250X for the price of
$2,200.00. Please acknowledge our offer and indicate the present position
of the vehicle (send pictures in different views so we can access the face
value of the vehicle)

On comfirmation we will instruct the buyer, to have the funds remitted
to you as soon as possible. We will arrange a pick up of the
Vehicle, once payment is confirmed by you the seller.

Thanks,

Joe Philips.

I replied with pics

Dear Kara,

Thanks for your prompt mail, from the pics the honda looks like it is in good condition. I will need to show it to my cutomer so that we can access it, so that we can finalize on the payment. I will also need you to confirm if you agree with our offer. I await your response.

Thanks,

Phil

I then said before i take any offer, i asked wheres this client located, etc etc

Dear Kara,

Thanks for you mail and pics, I have finalized issues
with my customer, and he is still interested in
buying the bike. We will be taking care of the
shipment to west africa ourselves.

I have just concluded with my client. He has informed
me that he is expecting a refund payment of an order
which he made earlier in the past, but the order was
later cancelled. This was because after the shipper/
agent's inpection, he found out that the 'order' was
not in good condition, so the order was cancelled.

He has filed in for a refund. He has instructed me to
inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier
check. but due to company policy and book keeping, the
refund payment which he is expecting, has to be made
out in this one whole amount. So he has to instruct
for payment to be made to you, because the company
policy only allows a refund payment in one cashier
check, so you are required to deduct cost of your car
$2,200.00 and return his balance.

He is expecting a refund payment of $4,100, When
payment gets to you , you will refund the balance of
$1900.00 back to my customer for him to be able to
offset shipping charges.After all payment has reached
you and balance sent back to my client, our agent will
come for pick up, while the reciept and other papers
will be sent to my client by you, via courier to my
client.
You are required to forward you payment information,
name, address and phone number for payment to be sent
to you.

Thanks,

Phil.

UHHHH?????? :huh :huh :confused2 :confused2

CHAUNCY
04-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Sunds kinda fishy:ermm: :huh :confused:

z400rider23
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
THIS IS A SCAM!! The same story was on here a while back from another member.

FourFiftyFour
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
yeah it does.... im wonderin if i should report somethin like that... b/c Joe Auto really does have a webpage... www.JoeAuto.com I dunno.... I was excited about someone possibly buyin the X but I dont think Im gonna do somethin like that... I might just put it on Ebay before too long. I just dont want to have to pay Ebay the percentage of what I get for it.... *sigh*

04-08-2003, 08:19 AM
sounds like a scam

remlapr
04-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Tell him to come get it for $2200 cash and he can work it out with the third party buyer himself - just make sure it's cash or a cashiers check from a US bank. Tell him that is the only way you feel comfortable with this deal. If he shows with the CASH sell it to him, if not then move on...

I would also suggest calling and confirming the cashiers check, this is easy to do by just calling the bank during normal hours...

Mxbubs
04-08-2003, 08:29 AM
ALWAYS GET THE CASH, NOT THE CHECK, BUT CASH IN THE HAND BEFORE YOU SHIP ANYTHING. SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM THOUGH.

DUNEZRUNNER
04-08-2003, 08:32 AM
READ THIS ABOUT THE SAME THING:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10881&highlight=scam

AtvMxRider
04-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a scam to me I would stay away from it.

joeroadking
04-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Its a scam. It has been around for a while with different varations, selling a atv cash cash cash in hand is the only way !:cool:

Leo
04-08-2003, 10:52 AM
That smells so fishy that it's stinking up my computer all the way up here in NY...

Grab the contact info off the joeauto site, and forward the emails to them, I bet they'd be interested in what's going on...

Leo

04-08-2003, 11:00 AM
LOL!!SCAM SCAM SCAM!! my cuzin got a call from some guy on exriders interested in his 300ex and he said he was sending an 8000 dola check and my cuzin takes care of all shipping and he keeps the extras,,,,hmmmm ship it to africa waste 8 grand on a 300ex that he could get there:eek2: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek2: :eek2: :huh

300_14_racer
04-08-2003, 11:01 AM
the same thing is happening with me except he offered to give me $8000 way over my asking price............i aint shippin the quad till i have green money in my hand...........p.s. the guy is also from africa:confused2 :scary:

300_14_racer
04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
damn bobby you beat me to it:grr :blah

Ben
04-08-2003, 11:23 AM
It is a scam and almost certainly a ploy to launder money. I recommend not keeping in contact with these jokers.

Rip_Tear
04-08-2003, 11:35 AM
That is crazy! I dont even read my emails... I just delete them unless I know the sender, or the title makes sense to me... lol. You could get the cashiers check, tell them you didn't get it, after you cash it.. JK

Ben
04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
You could get the cashiers check, tell them you didn't get it, after you cash it.. JK

Yeah, then some guy named Guido will show up at your house with a chainsaw :eek2:

Pappy
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Yeah, then some guy named Guido will show up at your house with a chainsaw :eek2:

yo...yous betta have my cake or i braka yo face:scary:

i have a number to a "guido" if anyone needs it:o

4punksdad
04-08-2003, 01:03 PM
www.fraud.org

do your duty and report these jokers.

FourFiftyFour
04-08-2003, 01:20 PM
I called JoeAuto.com and they are based in Houston, TX and dont do international business.... The frauds e-mail is phil_joeautos@yahoo.co.uk I forwarded the e-mails to one of the ppl at JoeAuto and heres the reply they sent back:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As I said on the telephone, this is in no way associated with our company. He managed to somehow cut and paste our logo into his e-mail. Our IT Director and Corporate Attorney are going to look into this fraudulent use of our logo and see what legal steps we can take to put an end to this scam. I also looked back in my files and wanted to let you know that the other scam artist that we were alerted to was: joseph keita <joeauto101@yahoo.com>, so be on the outlook for any suspicious e-mails or this name.

Thanks again for the heads up and please let me know if you get any more communications from him.

Rose Cook

RytM1
04-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Its a scam, to say the least!! These types of emails go out all the time. I got one saying that a relative of mine had passed away and was worth a fortune, all I had to do was respond back, and work out the details, yada yada yada. Part of the reason that these emails keep popping up, is that they are hard to prosecute, as South Africa's laws about this type of thing are pretty much non-existent. My PD just investigated a case a few months back where a male hispanic would approach a person, tell them he just got a $30K lottery winnings check and needed to cash it. The only problem he had was that he was in the country illegally, and thus needed someone to cash the check for him. He claimed to only want 5K, and the naive person would get to keep the balance for their help. Can you guess what happened next? Also, when you get spam emails from people, lists, etc. that have a link at the bottom claiming that if you wish to no longer receive emails from this person, click on the remove link and ask to be removed. What some of these are doing is verifying with the sender that you are who they thought you are. They may be in the middle of attempting to access your info for fraudulent credit cards, loans, etc. and want to see if you still exist.