PDA

View Full Version : You guys hear about a new Yamaha sport quad?

Guy400
12-19-2001, 07:20 PM
Was just over at Bluetraxx and they said there was an article in the January issue of Dirt Wheels where DW said they've heard rumors of Yamaha building a new sport quad based on the YZF426 but bumping the cubes to 440-450cc. This isn't fact nor am I trying to start anything, just seeing if anyone else read that in DW since I don't subscribe.

dirtclog
12-19-2001, 07:28 PM
i did see the article in dw...didn't say anything about "bumping" displacement...just a short blip about how gncc going to ban all non-production quads from racing in future and how they heard rumor about yz426 based quad.............i'm real interested...holding off on new quad at least til yamaha comes with that or honda comes with crf450ex...or if suzuki proves itself...????????? hmm

Guy400
12-19-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtclog
i did see the article in dw...didn't say anything about "bumping" displacement...just a short blip about how gncc going to ban all non-production quads from racing in future and how they heard rumor about yz426 based quad.............i'm real interested...holding off on new quad at least til yamaha comes with that or honda comes with crf450ex...or if suzuki proves itself...????????? hmm Like I said, I didn't actually read the article for myself and was just going by what several other people were discussing. Thanks for replying, at least now I know it wasn't some concocted story by Yamaha die-hards.

kc 300EX
12-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Honda is gonna go crazy when all of a sudden the 250R isnt allowed to race in the pro-production class (or whatever its gonna be called) And Yamaha will be in the same boat w/ out any yz426 engined quads, so I imagine they both are gonna raise the bar a little

crday98
12-19-2001, 10:48 PM
the 250r should still be allowed,as far as i understand it,it only pertains to quads with modified dirt bike engines or any other engine that was not produced with the quad.i don't remember seeing anything about modded 330r's and such but i could be wrong.most 250r's have the origional honda 250r motor but modded out the pooper,so basocally it is the stock motor that was produced in the quad with mods.

Evan
12-19-2001, 11:00 PM
I subscribe to DW and the way I understood the production class was that it was limited to machines currently in production, for example 400EX Raptor so on and so forth.

Scott
12-20-2001, 07:18 AM
Production class is limiting the bikes to factory cases, jugs, etc. The way I understand it, the internals could still be modded. I'm not sure if it was going to be limited to 440cc in the production class or not. If I fully understood, it would also limit the rider to factory a-arms and swing arms. Not sure about shock modifications. But I could be way off base. Anyone else know anything definite?

12-20-2001, 09:34 AM
I heard that you have to have the stock case and stock frame. They think u will still be able to bore and do other mods on your bike.

stevengates45
12-20-2001, 10:05 AM
WHY CANT HONDA COME OUT WITH A NEW QUAD?! :mad:

kc 300EX
12-20-2001, 01:20 PM
The way its being put forth is that it would only allow Production ATVs wich are CURRENTLY offered by the manufacturers, such as 400EX, Raptor, Cannondales etc. The engines suspension and running gear couls still be modified, but would have to retain the stock frame and engine cases, that still leaves plenty or room for full race modifications.
As the proposal stands now, Pro Production will be Limited to four strokes, thereby eliminating the Banshee.

The idea is for ATV manufactures to start making quads like they do bikes, a "Win on sunday sell on Monday" type of deal

May turn out like they hope, Honda and Yamaha may start making affordable full race ready quads to buy from your dealer, Mite turn out horrible and no pros will want to race a pro production class

knighttime
12-20-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by stevengates45
WHY CANT HONDA COME OUT WITH A NEW QUAD?! :mad:

They forgot how, lol, no just wait my friend, they will.

Scott
12-20-2001, 01:42 PM
You'll see pro's racing the production class next year. Either Jarod Huffman or Chad Duval, sorry I forget which one, already signed on to run that class next year. Duval finished 3rd this year in the gncc if I remember right.

stevengates45
12-20-2001, 02:18 PM
I want to get a bigger bike that will run the same as a raptor, but dont want to go yamaha or suzuki, I want to stay Honda

Scott
12-20-2001, 02:38 PM
Having reverse like the raptor, suzuki and about everything else that's a four stroke would also be nice.

hmmm... A 450cc Honda that matches the Raptor for power and handles like a 250r...
That could make me buy a new quad.

But without the Yamaha twin carbs, five valve head, and instant-gear-box-grenade, I don't want the headaches of that...

12-20-2001, 02:46 PM
i Heard it's a yamaha

12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
Bah...all i want (and you'll see the irony of this by the end of my statement) is a CRF450 motor inside an aluminum R chassis, with a 52" wingspan, 12" of travel all around, no lights to block off, no reverse to look at while on track, and certainly the renouned performance and durability of a Honda. I think i just named a real 'spensive quad :rolleyes:

Scott
12-21-2001, 01:46 PM
So all you have to do Thumper is put a CRF450 on a leager or lonestar chassis, do the normal a-arm and axle mods, and you have your quad. Sound about right?

12-22-2001, 11:20 AM
The exception is, i'd like this to be a production quad from Honda so i can actually go out and race the thing, instead of being limited to roosting my riding buddies. On another note...the Lonestar/Laeger chassis(es) are aluminum? I always thought they were the ole' 4130 chromoly number.

Chef
12-22-2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Thumper
Bah...all i want (and you'll see the irony of this by the end of my statement) is a CRF450 motor inside an aluminum R chassis, with a 52" wingspan, 12" of travel all around, no lights to block off, no reverse to look at while on track, and certainly the renouned performance and durability of a Honda. I think i just named a real 'spensive quad :rolleyes:

The lonestar/laeger chassis arent aluminum. What you could do though, is find a wrecked cannondale and use the frame from that if its not hurt, and just make some motor mounts and some mounts for different plastic, instead of Homer Simpsons grampa...

Juggalo
12-22-2001, 03:17 PM
i want a cannondale frame with a quadzilla engine :cool:

12-23-2001, 02:11 PM
That is why Honda hasn't produced a new sport quad yet. The 400EX is still the best selling sport quad on the market. Why would Honda change anything right now. Don't get me wrong here, I want a bigger, badder EX just as much as the rest of you guys. You have to be able to see Honda's point though!