PDA

View Full Version : stupid dodge

416exmx
04-07-2003, 06:18 PM
i have always been a chevy man (well now gmc) but anyway i hate to to see the miles rack up on my 01 xcab z so i bought a 99 dodge xcab 4x4 for a work/mud/roadtrip/whatever else truck. the deal is when it sets for a while the tranny will slip for about 3-4 seconds when trying to take off. after a few seconds and it finally takes off, you can stop and take off again and it works fine. it will do this if it sets for about 30 min or more. it is an automatic and i have change the fluid and filter and still nothing and it is full of fluid. i have been told it may be the torque converter leaking back but it would take a day or more to leak back. i think the front seal on the imput shaft is leaking some also. i am totaly lost and hate to take it to the dodge dealer and get reamed. does anybody know anything to maybe help me?

this truck is also for sale and i am going to buy another gmc. like i said the tranny is the only prob and it could be minor or major. loan value on it is $11000 and retail is like $14000. i would take $10900. again its a 99 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport 105k miles red

Castor-426ex
04-07-2003, 06:21 PM
some dodge trannys are junk

talk to Leo here on the site sometime....hes a mopar mechanic

it could be a front seal....look under the truck every once and awhile for tranny fluid....

it could even be a vacuum hose:eek:

GNCC#829
04-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
some dodge trannys are junk

I always heard that the Cummins was too much for any dodge tranny. But maybe the ones behind the gas motors are junk too.

p@iNn3ck
04-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Spent all day yesterday workin on my '97.....feel your pain.

Check out Mopar Chat (http://www.moparchat.com)

There's a Ram Truck forum, those guys know a ton!

ralph2
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
my dads friend just bought a bran new dodge and within a month of driving it the tranny blew

Ram2500V10
04-08-2003, 08:18 AM
www.dodgetrucks.org

The hamster under my hood fell out and these guys helped me get him back in there and running on his wheel.

hash1250r
04-08-2003, 10:20 AM
I got a 99 ram 4 wheeldrive ,Im on my third tranny.Last time it went out i bought a used one for it.The first 6 months i had 3 converters put in.I will never buy another dodge till they get better trannys.

Leo
04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Sounds like either the torque converters draining back or it's got a seal going inside the tranny.. If it's only a couple seconds the first time you start it for the day either live with it or drop the cash to have it fixed. Sounds like a beater you got for cheap anyway, why sweat it?

The fellow that's on his 3rd tranny really needs to take it somewhere that can fix it.. or quit using it to pull stumps... If it's rebuilt and all the updated parts installed it should be good for 3 yrs, at least.. Junkyard parts are well, junk. Mopar Remans have a 3/36000 warranty for ~$1000

The new tranny's are bulletproof (45RFE / 55RFE).

Leo

cam400ex
04-08-2003, 02:29 PM
they are fixing the problems... the 45rfe's are tough and you do get a warranty with reman's... some of the problems with the rear wheel drives are the rubber cooler hoses not allowing the fluid to pass through the pressure ball that has been the cases that i have seen on the 2003 trannys

heres my dodge and happy that i bought it

Instinctz
04-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Well I've got a 96 dodge, and as for reliablity its as good as the week it was bought, minus some fuel milage due to injectors. But the deal is when it was bought the cruise control didnt work, and has been fixed, and went out again so it stays out.

Each year of dodge seems to have its own set of fits. After 97, they had tranny issues and seem to have them worked out finaly in the 03 which my dad has just bought.

Both are 1500 ram ext cabs.