PDA

View Full Version : engine break-in...different question tho..

Glamis400ex
04-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,

I know alot of you have broken-in your motor the slow way...yada,yada,yada,

But who has the link where this site tells you to just ride the piss outta it, and it's actually better for it?

Anyone remember it???

Glamis

Sick0
04-07-2003, 03:31 PM
I remeber read that post. I guess I'm glad I kinda had to race somebody around an Ice track when I was breaking it in.

BigThumper33
04-07-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't know if this is the site, but it is one of them

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Glamis400ex
04-07-2003, 04:52 PM
That's the one Big Thumper, Anyone care to comment on this? I know for lots of smart motor-heads, this is a controversial subject. Anyone here actually ever done this...run it pretty hard from the get go?

Thanks,

Glamis

nojoke4stroke
04-07-2003, 05:05 PM
i ran my '02 wide open through 5th when i got it,only let off for turns in the road.granted,some punk was rippin around the parking lot at the shop when i showed up to pick it up though so this might not count but ive had no problems in 2 years none the less.

Sick0
04-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Soulds like a pretty solid throry but whats about the cam. You to break thats in to.

JD400exrider
04-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Glamis I am glad you started this thread. I was just thinking the same thing. I am going to need to do a break in soon with a 416, cam ect.

SO guys how are you breaking your motors in? :confused:

I read that thread on running hard right off the get go. Well lets here what you motor heads think ?

nojoke4stroke
04-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Glamis I am glad you started this thread. I was just thinking the same thing. I am going to need to do a break in soon with a 416, cam ect.

SO guys how are you breaking your motors in? :confused:

I read that thread on running hard right off the get go. Well lets here what you motor heads think ?

I did it by chance,the whole part about the new owner cant wait to open it up,that was me,but i never let off and as a matter of fact i went to the local sand pit,which is actually an mx pratice track not really maintained but free to all,as soon as i got to my house for some boots.We ran it hard for four hours in july heat with no cooldown time.It explains why i can torch my buddies on their z400's,we've all heard the "that motor runs hard,its like everything on the production line went just right for that 1" theory as to why 1 quad is faster than another of the same model when theyre both in bone stock form.Thats what i thought i had but now im leaning towards this since its exactly what i did and my motor hauls for being basically stock.I'm gonna email that sight to 1 of my friends who just graduated from penn state with 4 years in mechanical engineering and see what he thinks.One thing i forgot to mention,i ALWAYS warm up my engine,from the very first time i rode it,pay attention to that it's key,especially on 2-strokes.

YZROOSTINYA
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
you cant just beat it.

you have to run a FEW heat cycles into it first then you get more aggressive with it everytime.

you dont just romp on it and you dont just baby it.

my total break in time was about 2 hrs. but it went through about 10 heat cycles

R-Crazy
04-08-2003, 04:53 AM
This could be a good thread for the FAQ forum.

I think a few warm and cool down is wise, but gradually raising the revs each time. It may be a pain in the *****, but it will prolly be worth it in the long run.

dave

skemp
04-08-2003, 05:29 AM
This method doesn't include "beating" on a motor, but riding it like it will be ridden basically. You really do need to wear a new motor in, rather than baby it and try to avoid any possible wear when you break it in like a lot of people do. This article's information is very accurate, and also the way I do it. When you go by this however, you must keep in mind that it doesn't say to just get on, and go rev your motor to 9k and keep it there for 6 hours. You need to follow what is he says and it really does pay off in the end. :cool:

AndrewRRR
04-08-2003, 08:17 AM
I think both the "break it in like you are going to ride it" method works sometimes and the slow method works sometimes. I'd like to build two identical R topends and try the two break in processes to get some hard facts on what does what. Anyone wanna sponsor me? hehe
I have a friend who did the slow gradual break in on his banshee and it runs harder than any other banshee with the same mods. It has 135psi of compression which is damn good for stock (130 is more common). I did the gradual break in on my R and it has tons of compression also. When my pipe gets here I've got to seat the rings in the new motor.
On the other hand, our race cars are run hard after a few heat cycles and they run great ("hydrodynamics" or something is what it is called, letting things take their shape with heat cycles). So I'd like to see what really works best.
Do make sure to get the motor good and warm before "romping" on it though. A local R rider was all proud of his new ESR330 motor, fired it up cold, and pinned it out of camp. He stuck the piston about 50 yards later. oops :confused2 The piston expands faster than the cylinder on 2 strokes (especially big bores)

Glamis400ex
04-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Solid info everyone. I agree that riding it "like you intend to ride it," and "romping on it cold for 4 hours straight" are 2 different things.

I believe everyone here got what what I meant in that reguard. I plan on doing this method, when I get my 416.

Thanks everyone....any more care to chime in???

Glamis

JD400exrider
04-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Am I understanding heat cycles right here.

First start up after install.

Start the bike up and DO NOT let the bike idle but warm it up at a fast idle until warm. What 5-7 minutes. and shut down

Let motor cool down and start the process again.

And Again ?

Not riding before 2-3 heat cycles.

Then ride it varying the throttle from 1/4-3/4 in each gear but never full throttle.

How many heat cycles. How much riding before you let it cool down? Some insight would be great guys

Glamis400ex
04-08-2003, 03:28 PM
JD400exrider,

I really don't think it needs to be "that" specific" and tedious. Read the article again about heat cycling...he goes into it, read it carefully.

From what I got from the site was, let it warm up, and ride it steady, don't lug it, over rev it and don' t peg it in 5th gear. Run it like that for 20 miles... change the oil and then your done.....am I right?

Did everyone else seem to get that message from that site?

Glamis

nojoke4stroke
04-08-2003, 03:45 PM
you dont need to worry about heat cycles unless youre on a dyno due to inadequate airflow,on the road or track you need to go as hard on the way down as you do on the way up,so let the engine do the brakeing.it isnt that technical or hard to understand,just ride it hard like you normally would.just dont get stupid and crank it wfo and hold it there,which you wouldnt need to do on a 4 stroke anyway,their power is made at a lot lower rpm's.andrewrrr,i wouldnt even consider doing this on a 2-stroke,warm or not.remember,the guy said its for all 4-strokes,no mention of 2's.i'd stick to the easy break in for them,especially since you and your friends 2-strokes are running strong,ive always done it like that and my 2-strokes always run strong too.

YZROOSTINYA
04-09-2003, 12:13 AM
andrewrr

the reason his piston seaized is because the EXUAST side of the piston heats and expands faster than the INTAKE side. also known as a cold seizure.

i warmed mine for one min not let it idle. then got on it and rode around about a 1/4 throttle for 10 mins. let it cool with a fan on it .

started and rode for anothetr 10 mins a LITTLE harder. changed oil and checked valves.

cool down

started and warmed it for a minute. riode slowly till fully warm. rode around for 20 mins slowy giveing more gas, short 3/4 throttle bursts in third never LUGGING the motor.

cool down

ride again another 1/2 hour hour. started getting into fourth longer periods of 3/4 throttle near the end SHORT bursts of full throttle.

cool down

rode agin another 1/2 hour using fifth on the flat straights. Wide open burts in the 2,3 rd gear.

cool down. changed oil again. done breakin. rode fairly hard for another hour. make sure jetting and everything is tight and in check.

now the bike is fully broken in after cool down. switched to synthetic blend after 20 hours. my bike has about 70 hours on it now and it runs nice. i took the head off about 10 hours ago and got it ported and the cylinder was all good, no scuffing.

this is how I have broken in all my machines

dj416
04-09-2003, 12:34 PM
i pretty much used this method.warmed it up, about 20 min of riding not over 3/4, cool off and then opend it up. this was 2 months ago and no probs yet.

AndrewRRR
04-09-2003, 01:12 PM
CT has a pretty good break-in procedure on their website http://www.ctracing.com/cylinder.htm

wilkin250r
04-09-2003, 01:32 PM
That article mentions proper wearing of the rings against the cylinder wall, but what about the cam? I don't think you want to rev the cam way up during the break-in process.

ChadEXer
04-09-2003, 01:49 PM
When I got my motor Tom told me to run it about 15-20 minutes not going over 3/4 throttle, then after that just open it up..

phatswinn
04-09-2003, 01:56 PM
the first link seems very logical, thats how i did mine today after i honed it and put new rings in and it does rev quicker after my next ride ill change to synthetic again just like it says to (i did 40 miles today)

YZROOSTINYA
04-10-2003, 12:41 AM
the cam needs to be broken in above 3k rpm