PDA

View Full Version : question about oil????/clutch

400extracc
04-07-2003, 01:25 PM
k, i'm trying to find out why my f**king clutch will not disengage when i pull in the clutch lever. now, i haven't started it up since last fall. there is motor oil in the motor, if the oil hasn't cycled the motor will it effect the clutch. i.e. not disengaging when i pull it in. couldn't get the quad started because the battery went dead. charging right now.

thx :confused:

Leo
04-07-2003, 01:56 PM
If the thing hasn't run in a good long time everythings probably a bit 'dry'..

I would turn the gas off and crank it over for a few 10 second bursts to get some oil distributed through the motor before I fired it up I think.

What's it doing sitting for for so long?!? Mine doesn't even sit still that much ;)

Leo

400extracc
04-07-2003, 02:38 PM
old canadian winter. only use it in warm months. but may be thats not the problem. i don't know???????

400grl
04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
I would assume since it's meant to be operated as a wet clutch, that it would have something to do with it.......did you check your clutch cable and everything??

400extracc
04-07-2003, 04:08 PM
sure did, for the last 2 days:confused:

KAWSAM62
04-08-2003, 01:04 AM
hello problee what has happened is the clutch discs have stuck togethere from sitting up if you get the engine started it might free itself up but if not your going to have to take the clutch cover off and disassemble the clutch assy to unstick it ands oiling it when you reassemble this also depends on that it was in perfect order before it satup there is always the possiblity of broken parts like the button that the clutch cable puchs against good luck!:eek:

wilkin250r
04-08-2003, 03:40 AM
I would crank it over a few times, let it sit for 20 min. If that doesn't free it up, then start it up and let it idle for 5 min or so, until it gets warm, then shut it off and let it sit again for another 20 min.

If the clutch is stuck, getting a bit of oil in there may help loosen it. You obviously don't want to ride it at this time.

If that doesn't work, I think dissasembly is your only option.

400extracc
04-08-2003, 04:28 AM
thx, i'll try that;)

400grl
04-08-2003, 04:33 AM
It's not too bad getting into the clutch - I replaced mine and it was easy. So if you gotta get in there to lube it all up, it's no biggie - hopefully it will just lube itself........