PDA

View Full Version : Will the 425 engine rip a part my stock clutch?????

400exBro
12-19-2001, 04:27 PM
With all the ponies from the 425 kit will the stock clutch and basket take all the new power(if not how long before she blows the clutch). If it won ' t what clutch should i buy???Also will the tranny it the beating????

Also will i need to harden the rockers and new spring kit and stuff???
lata
thanks
400exBro

Dave400ex
12-19-2001, 04:45 PM
TC told me the stock clutch will work fine. He said to run it til it goes out. I would buy a Hinson clutch basket. I don`t think Hinson makes clutch plates. If they do, I would get them, but if not I don`t know what to get.

I know on the TC XC Cam you don`t have to harden the rockers, but I don`t know if that`s the same with his MX cam or other companies cam. You can also run the stock springs with the TC cam. If you don`t get TC, then you might have to harden the rockers and get different springs. I know with the Sparks and LRD Cams you have to.

12-19-2001, 07:01 PM
yep warrior man is 100% correct and when you get a hinson basket and heavy duty springs get stock plates they are as good as they get.... let me know if you need anymore help...toby

Dave400ex
12-19-2001, 07:40 PM
Does Hinson make clutch plates?

12-19-2001, 08:25 PM
i am almost positive that they don't i had a barnet kevlar clutch in mine with the hinson basket and when my engibne went to lost creek he told me that stock plates with hevay duty springs and a good basket was the bets set up you could get ..i trust him... but i nevr herd of them and if they do i am sure they are good quality... hey let me know when you get your tc pipe and how you like it....toby

ohh and 400exbro... your trany can take it fine jusrt keep your oil fresh!!

12-20-2001, 08:48 AM
I asked the same question when uppin mine to a 416,,,and was told leave the stocker in there until it's wore out. I actually called to order a hinson basket and was told I don't need it and the person wouldn't sell it to me,,now that's a good sales rep,,not wanting to sell me something because they know I dont' need one. Oh and this person was none other than Terry Marcum,,, And the 2001 clutch's are beefed up more than previous years clutches. He said if I had a 99 or 00 that I might want to but with a 01 leave it as is..

Chef
12-20-2001, 10:37 AM
My buddies i ride with have 416's and are getting like 38 hp at the rear wheels with theirs, and they use the stock clutch, and its fine. and they dont go easy on them either. one broke his e-series from jumping too high, and broke another one from going on the grab bar in a wheelie...lol

Dave400ex
12-20-2001, 02:08 PM
I think I will get the Hinson basket, heavy duty springs, and stock clutch plates. How much are stock plates?

Tom said the pipe should be here Friday or Monday. I hope it`s here tomorrow. I don`t know when it will get put on. I hope to go riding at my grandma`s next Thursday for the real test. I might send in a review. I`ll let you know....

12-20-2001, 03:07 PM
warrior man i am not sure how much they cost...sorry i couldn't help ya...you mitght be able to find them on service honda...i don't have the web adress though..sorry again..toby

Chef
12-20-2001, 03:44 PM
http://www.servicehonda.com

Dave400ex
12-20-2001, 06:11 PM
I couldn`t find the price for the plates. What brand of heavy duty springs did you use? How much and where did you buy them? Thanks, David.

wyndzer
12-20-2001, 06:31 PM
I broke three clutch baskets with my 416, but I didn't have a normal 416. I finally got smart and put in a Hinson basket, now I just broke my connecting rod, which in turn busted the inside out of my motor. The clutch is still fine though!!

12-20-2001, 08:37 PM
warriorman... the springs were in the bike as well as the basket i had the recept but gave it with the bike... i think they were barnet heavy duty springs ..not sure but i think so.. i think they run like 20 or 30bux for a set not sure though... let me know if you need anything else

wyndyzer...sorry to hear about your rod...;) ... good luck on getting it back together....toby

12-20-2001, 08:52 PM
sorry double post

Chef
12-20-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by wyndzer
I broke three clutch baskets with my 416, but I didn't have a normal 416. I finally got smart and put in a Hinson basket, now I just broke my connecting rod, which in turn busted the inside out of my motor. The clutch is still fine though!!

man, you got me worried about my rod now...were you turning it alot of RPM when you broke it? (hope it doesnt have anything to do with rpm, cause thats how i drag race, ...)

wyndzer
12-20-2001, 09:31 PM
Actually I wasn't, I kind of lugged it into 4th, that was probably my problem, if I had turned it really hard it would probably have kept going.

Pro400EXC
12-20-2001, 09:48 PM
I hear that aftermarket clutch plates are the worse to get,cause there fibers and all wear off and can shorten the life span of the motor. They said that the stock Clutch Plates are the BEST! I heard this from no other than Ron Hinson himself from Hinson racing. He said that if you want the best and most reliable clutch go to his 8-plate clutch kit. It constist of FACTORY clutches and a new Basket,inner hub, and outer hub. It is a trick set-up for anyone and the clutch pull is so smooth,you'll wet your britches. Hehe. The 8-plate kit can be ordered from Chapparral for $500 or Hinson itself.

P.S Stock Plates costs= Steel Plates=7.95 Fibers=6.95 each or vise versa.

Sandragggen
12-21-2001, 01:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think the 8-plate clutch system uses CR250 plates and disks. They won't fit into a stock 400EX hub. I'm doing the CR500 clutch springs with stock plates. The CR500 springs have worked so far in the 440, but they have not yet seen the new motor I'm building.

wndzer...is your rod a Carrillo? I hate hearing things like this.

wyndzer
12-21-2001, 05:37 AM
Pud,
No it wasn't, but it will be next time. It was a hot rod.