PDA

View Full Version : WEB CAM for 250EX

keith mcdonald
04-07-2003, 10:57 AM
The new Suzuki Z250 is coming out and the magazines are saying it should be faster than the 250EX.Well being a die-hard Honda man I couldn't let this happen.I al-ready had a WB e-series slip on and a stage 2 jet kit and filter.So one day I happend on to the Web cam link on the link page of Exriders and found a listing for my 250EX.$125 (plus a $95 core charge)sounded like a deal to me.I called and ordered it.In the 5 days it would take for it to come I decided to get a jump on tearing down my bike.Upon removing the valve cover I discovered the cam is not in the head !!!!!Oh man that means it must be in the case ,well now I was comitted.I had to remove the front case cover;HOLY CRAP !!! a whole bunch of pieces and parts fell out !!!Now time to get a manual to see how everything goes back together.OK I see the cam .OH NO the darn thing is behind the clutches.Any how you can see this was not an easy project.A manual is a must;you also need a puller.ALthough the manual says to remove the cylinder it is not nesescary,if you stand the bike on the grab bar and pull the cam followers up with a magnet.Well it's all back together and boy what a difference!The info fromWeb cam said all-around performance gains and that is exactly what it delivers.It pulls strong from idle to rev limiter ,maybe even a smoother powerband than stock.This thing hits the rev-limiter hard with a lot more torque all the way around!!1st gear is now almost useless wheelying instantly from a stop .2nd gear is WOW.3rd you can still easily pull up the front end.4th and 5th just GO.My impression is Honda should have done this from the factory. Don't even reply that I should have got a bigger bike I just won't go there I love my 250EX!! I just thought every one should know about this up- grade. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TOOLS OR KNOW-HOW LET SOMEONE WHO DOES INSTALL THIS CAM.

250EXking
04-07-2003, 11:32 AM
I test drove my buddies 250ex with the new web cam in it. wow what a difference i felt. our bikes are exactly the same except tires and the cam he has in it. theres was quite a snap of power thorgh the first three gears. i never really got a chance to go top end because we were riding in a bowl with hill climbs. if you want power for a excellent machine. go with the cam. i might just do the same to my bike.

2002 Honda 250ex,White Brothers E-series slip on, DG nerfs, K&N Air Filter and Dyno jet kit, Maxxis Razr's fron and back

$$$moneyex
04-07-2003, 11:34 AM
when you buy a cam do you need to buy the core charge i saw the web cam on there a couple weeks ago but i dont know to much about cams so will the core charge do much or not. sounds like its a good mod for the little 250. i need to do somthing to it i love it but its just too slow

keith mcdonald
04-07-2003, 12:12 PM
The core charge is to get the cam with out sending in your old one .They will refund it after you send old cam back.

balla250ex
04-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I think I read that the Z250 is 2-stroke? Maybe I have cataracts at age 15? I dunno, I am pretty sure that is what I read-and no i was'nt doing any drugs. :confused:

250EXking
04-07-2003, 01:16 PM
its a 4 stroke with an exposed shaft which is dumb. try again suzuki honda still rule the woods

balla250ex
04-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Ok, maybe I was a little tired or dazed when I read that. It would seem like it would be a 4 stroke anywayz. :cool:

keith mcdonald
04-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Watch out Suzuki's here I come!!!

Mr_Bub400ex
04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
isnt the z250 pretty much the same geometry as the 250ex? kinda sad how to make money all the other companies hafta copy honda.(ex : z250 and z400) i mean look when yamaha tried to go it there own....they made the raptor!!:eek2:

Dusty
04-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey Keith,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a nice improvement for that little motor.
Sounds like a challenging installation though. I pulled the valve cover off the first time i adjusted the valves, DOH!
I see your from Northeast Ohio. I traveled their to get my nieces 250ex. Got it from Honda East. They saved me quite a bundle over what i could get one here.

Brian

300exjuggalo
04-08-2003, 06:01 AM
i have a honda 250ex and i need an up grade i was going to go with the high compretion piston and new ring b/c i need to replace them anyway but i wanted to do something with my cam were can i find this cam is there a web site thanx

redroost85
04-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Keith, that's cool about the cam. I don't think I am that ballzy to rip into my motor like you, but I am interested in the cam. I was just looking to get a high comp piston and some rings....I think I have changed my mind. Keep letn'er rip man!:devil

250EXking
04-08-2003, 09:12 AM
hello

about the cam, go to the links on exriders.com and go to web cams under there. then look for the 250ex. the cam is great it adds alot of power.

k n jet kit air filter
maxxis razrs

y2k330ex
04-08-2003, 01:19 PM
completely off topic, no one here owns a 250EX. But its nice to see people out enjoy their bikes! I wish ic ould get a chance to ride one. I think my girlfriends mother is buying one for her son, guess i'll get the chance then to work on it :-D

mudderchic
04-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks a lot for the info on the cam. I just got my 250ex in November 2003. It was my first quad, so I got the smaller one, also because i am a 5 foot 95lb. girl and I thought it would be good enough for me. But after riding for only 3 months I need more power, but the 400 is a little too much for a chick of my size. Because of this I want to make my 250 faster and you just gave me the best way to do that. Thanks! Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that the 250ex may not be as fast as the others, but it handles awesome and can still go everywhere that the 400 can. It's much more than just a beginer quad.:D

trickex250
04-08-2003, 02:04 PM
How do u guys think the web cam and powroll bore kit would work together? Alot of power? Do you think that would beat a 300 ex if the 250 had a pipe and filter and jet kit too?

250EXking
04-08-2003, 02:07 PM
yeah probally it would beat the 300ex. they are not the fastest bike. the powroll and cam would probally... lets just say you supersized your big mac at mcdonalds. yeah it would add alot of power. and yeah it would probally stomp the 300ex if it wasnt modified to much.

trickex250
04-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Do you have to buy the 95$ core with the cam? If you dont how much of a performance gain is it.

Dusty
04-09-2003, 12:34 AM
The company modifies the stock cam. What they want is for you to send them your old cam in exchange for a modified one. They charge a refundable $95. When you send them your old cam they will refund your $95. This is just so they have a stock of cams to work with.

Brian

brokeitin3
04-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by trickex250
How do u guys think the web cam and powroll bore kit would work together? Alot of power? Do you think that would beat a 300 ex if the 250 had a pipe and filter and jet kit too? THE POWROLL KIT COMES WITH NEW ROCKER ARMS THAT DO ABOUT THE SAMETHING AS THIS CAM WITHOUT TEARING INTO THE MOTOR.

keith mcdonald
04-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I had thought about the Powroll kit ,but I don't like the idea of using up all of the posibilities of rebuilding my stock cylinder.You see by using this kit if you then need to rebuild down the road a few years you would have to re-sleave your jug.I think a better choice would be to look for a smaller over-bore piston(for example .020over) with about 10.5 to one compression.This would probly give good performance with the Web cam and still leave you more optoins down the road.Now if some company would come up with a big-bore kit that includes a new sleave that then could be rebuilt then I would give it big thumbs up.As far as using Powroll rocker arm and cam be carefull,you may run the risk of binding your valve springs.Just my thought.

y2k330ex
04-15-2003, 05:01 AM
Most quality big bore kits requires you to resleeve you stock jug and bore it out to accept the bigger sleeve, and machine your cases. And when you buy a kit from a big company they offer over bore sizes in the big bore kit, so you can rebuild later if needed.