PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tie Rod

Yellow2001400ex
04-07-2003, 07:33 AM
The other day while I was riding, I stopped to check out my steering stem because it was squeeking real bad and while I was looking at the front suspension I noticed I had a bent tie rod. Are these an inexpensive part and fairly easy to install with basic mechanics knowledge? Any information will be helpful and also where I can get them besides my local dealer which will prolly charge me more than I need to pay.

GNCC#829
04-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Oem tie rods are about five bucks. But if you bent one I would seriously consider stronger ones.

toby400ex
04-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Stock ones are 7 bucks, but if you want stronger ones get some for a 250r, they also fit 400ex's they are much stronger and thicker. But they run about $25 each.

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Contact CFM Performance for some tie rods, they make them out of chromoly, and aluminium...here's their e-mail:

nealoakley@cfmracing.com

02Yellow400
04-07-2003, 09:56 AM
How bad is it bent? While your waiting for new ones just take that one out and bend it back. Thats what i did and it has been holding up fine. Just put it in a vice and straighten her out. Its not hard and it will hold you over untill your new ones come in.

Yellow2001400ex
04-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for that suggestion and I'll prolly buy some that ya'll recommended that hold up[ better than stock.;)

MillerTime
04-07-2003, 10:42 PM
this is off the subject a little, but you might want to investigate why or how your tie rod was bent, if you have after market a-arms and there not setup right, you may have some binding going on, where your upper a-arm is hitting your tie rod causing it to bend or eventualy break. I just thought it is kinda strange your tie is bent from average riding, unless you took a digger or hit some thing, well forget what the hell I'm say. just typing out-a- me *****.:D

Yellow2001400ex
04-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Yea, that could've been but I still have stock A-arms but I have taken some real hard and off balanced landings in the front on some jumps lately so it could be that. Thanks anyway.

boogiechile
04-08-2003, 09:29 AM
You may not want to get stronger tie rods because if something is going to bend it is best for it to be a tie rod. They are cheap and easy to replace. If you have super strong chromoly tie rods then the hit that used to bend the rod now breaks a spindle or bends a steering stem because it is not absorbed in bending the tie rod. Much more money and work to replace.