PDA

View Full Version : stripped case thread

XANDADA
04-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Need some advice here on the R. Apparently there are some people who can't even handle putting a case saver on with f'n something up! Ya this bonehead would fit into that category. I stripped the threading on the case by tightening it too much. It's the top 6x100 bolt. Is it ok to just helicoil it and use a short 6x1 bolt to the left side case or am I better off splitting the cases and helicoil it on the right side case where the thread originally was? Is this bolt needed to hold the cases together or is it just holding the saver on there? :mad: Thanks...

methyman
04-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I would split the cases because it can cause a oil leak or possibly a air leak that can destroy your motor by leaning it out. Do it right once and it wouldn't be a problem later down the road. Splitting the cases are a piece of cake just follow your R manual.

deathman53
04-07-2003, 02:45 PM
my r didn't have the top bolt for the case saver on when I bought it, I put a plastic concrete anchor and a sheetrock screw, no air leaks or problems. try that before you split the cases. I have since found one, but the treads were stripped, so I put the anchor back.

Castor-426ex
04-07-2003, 03:06 PM
i did this on my ex...i had to drill it larger and heli coil it...make sure to take your time itll work...it sucks because i was taking the stock saver off for the first time and the bolt just snapped...figures....thanks honda;)

ridered86
04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
helicoils all the way man, i think you probably want an 8-32 thread. i stripped out my oil filter cover bolts drilled a 1/4 in hole and popped in a 10/32 helicoil with a socket head cap screw in stainless and it works and looks awsome.

XANDADA
04-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the replies!