PDA

View Full Version : Old Problems, Need New Answers

quadman21
04-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Everyone knows of the notorious problem with 440 blowing head gaskets. I have already been down that road about a year ago and seemed to have had all taken care of...or so I thought. I asked some quetions last week concerning what is a "real" solution to. So my thoughts now are to get oversized studs that some companies like Sparks offer and maybe true up my cylinder and Head. My piston and sleeve are in good shape. I have already bought a new cylinder and gone down that road and do not want to go there again. I just want to fix this cylinder and solve the blowinh head gasket issue. Any recomendations?:confused2

quadman21
04-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Anyone? I hate to sound like a punk, but I could really use your advice?:confused:

Castor-426ex
04-07-2003, 07:56 AM
check the head for warpage

its a long shot

but still

OCCRA288
04-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Are you using a high compression piston and a Sparks degree key? If you keep blowing head gaskets try taking out the degree key and putting the stocker back in.

quadman21
04-07-2003, 10:37 AM
I have a IDS slip on and UNI filter, mild port job, XRcam and my piston is an 89mm weisco flat top. but as far as everything else, it's stock. I call it a "mild" 440. That's part of my concern, I haven't done anything radical to the engine at all. Also, if I ask 5 different people, I get 5 different answers. Half the people disagree with oversized studs and the other half like them. I would just like some good advice and I would like to know if the oversized studs worked. I had in mind to true up my cylinder and head as a "just in case" I have some slight warpage.

400MXer
04-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Have you tried using a copper headgasket. There is a company around me that you send your stock gasket too or whatever gasket you would use, and they will make a copy in copper. WOuldn't that fix your problem?

I used copper gaskets on my sand drag jeep motor. it's a 400 small block chevy pushing 600HP, and i also have a 200 shot nitrous system hook to it. No problems with them yet.