PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil

GoingBig
08-06-2001, 03:15 PM
this last weekend i noticed some smoke coming out the exhaust after about an hour of riding. i checked my oil before i left and it was full, after i got back it didnt even register on the dipstick. my machine is only 4 months old. my dealer said it was do to a dirty air filter. i dont think a dirty air filter will make it drink over a quart of oil.. anyone have an opinion. its in the shop right now and they say it could be 2 weeks before they can get to it...really makes me mad..thanks for any input.

oynot400
08-06-2001, 05:28 PM
That is sorry to hear, but they may be right. If you never oiled your air filter dirt probably got into the engine. Which scored your cylinder wall and piston, believe me it doesn't take long. With the dry spell we have had, makes dusty conditions, it is very possible.
I have been running without the airbox lid so I have to clean my filter more often. Get a filter skin or K&N Precharger, depending on what filter you have. Then be sure to clean and oil the filter.

08-06-2001, 05:29 PM
go get it out of the damn shop and order up some piston rings that should stop it from burning oil thats what my brother did when his was burning oil and it worked

4punksdad
08-06-2001, 06:19 PM
did you never clean the air filter? I had bikes which I simply abused as a kid due to ignorance mainly. They lasted years.........I find it hard to believe you smoked a set of rings in 4 short months on either a 4stroke or 2stroke. I'll bet you could run with NO air filter & it would last longer than that.

xcntry
08-06-2001, 06:26 PM
Dont take me the wrong way. But it sounds like you didnt break it in the way the owners manual says that will definetly cause premature engine wear and could have been the culprit to your problem. When you get it back from the shop be sure to break it back in the way they tell you to.:)

4punksdad
08-06-2001, 07:02 PM
going big,
do youhave a 400ex? are you checking the oil properly? you know.......let it warm up 5 minutes, shut it down.........let it sit a few minutes..........then check the reservoir?

I don't want to insult your intelligence, just making sure. also, have you changed the oil & filter since you bought it 4 months ago?

this has me perplexed.......I can't believe you smoked rings in 4 months.

08-06-2001, 07:38 PM
xcntry,

Show me where in the manual it says how to break in your quad?

Leo
08-06-2001, 07:42 PM
dump out the lightweight oil that comes in the bike, (breaks down VERY fast)..

fill 'er back up with 15-50 or 20-50.

Leo ;)

MOFO
08-06-2001, 08:24 PM
I also find it hard to believe you need rings already....I think you just need to bump up to a higher weight in oil. Try some 20-50 and see what happens.

Also the manual does state how to break in the quad. Its on the first couple pages...It really doesnt say how, but states what not to do. I dont have the manual handy to quote it...

Eric

400exRacerX
08-06-2001, 09:56 PM
yea, i find it hard to believe that you smoked the rings already.

Stevo
08-06-2001, 10:01 PM
My quad used to smoke on decel due to the lightweight oil. Honda 10w-40. I know use mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic. I never smokes now. That could be your problem. I think the 400ex's rings should last longer than 4 months. The one guy I know has had his 400 for three years and had to replace nothing in the engine!!!

08-08-2001, 02:20 PM
vwvr6,

The manual says no such thing about what not to do or what to do in relationship to breaking in your quad.
There are plenty of dos and donts relating to safety items but zero on breaking in your quad.
Maybe you and some of these other guys that seem to think so have a different manual than my 01, but I highly dought it.

skemp
08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Right from the 2001 manual, page ii, 2nd paragraph.

"Help assure your Sportrax's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first operating day or 15 miles (25 km). During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

MOFO
08-08-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 007 enough
vwvr6,

The manual says no such thing about what not to do or what to do in relationship to breaking in your quad.
There are plenty of dos and donts relating to safety items but zero on breaking in your quad.
Maybe you and some of these other guys that seem to think so have a different manual than my 01, but I highly dought it.

...looks like you failed the first test of owning a 400ex....

:)

Eric

08-08-2001, 04:08 PM
Vwvr6,
Ok I now see that little thing you call a breakin instuction in the preface area of the manual. I would hardly think anyone would voilate such a commonsence thing the first few rides anyhow.

I just dont like to see people rag on people for basics that everyone thats spends this kind of money on for a toy would know anyhow, escpecialy when there down.

Pro400EXC
08-08-2001, 05:44 PM
MY 400EX burns oil also. And so does my friends. My 400EX is 7months old(2001) ad my friends is about 2yrs old. We both burn oil only when we ride hard the whole day,but if i rie is like a ol man it does burn oil. Also when revved out and when you hit the throolte our 400's smoke white smoke also. Whats the problem? Thanks,Joe

08-08-2001, 05:51 PM
your problem is with that fine looking girl your overheating:blah
Of course I would settle for the oil problem and keep the girl.

Now more serious, what type oil are you using?

MOFO
08-08-2001, 08:13 PM

Hey, I wasnt trying to flame you or anybody else. I was just saying that because I have seen people take the quad off the showroom floor and beat the living crap out of it on the first ride...

Eric

08-09-2001, 07:33 AM
vwvr6,
Do you run a outerwear over your uni?
if so how do you like it?

MOFO
08-09-2001, 07:38 AM
Nope, no outerwear at all....have not needed one. I have been through all conditions...extreme dust, mud and water. I'm also running 6 1" UniFilter vents in my airbox lid. Very good filter system...

Eric

08-09-2001, 07:56 PM
HAD A FRIEND WHO SMOKED RINGS IN 6 MONTHS, HOWEVER, HE IS NOT KNOWN FOR DAILY MAINTANENCE.
THE HONDA SHOP REBUILT THE BIKE AND IT WAS SMOKING AGAIN
IN 1 MONTH. HE TRADED IT IN ON A 2002 CR 250. I THINK HE ALREADY MISSES HIS QUAD.
I HONESTLY THINK HE HAD VALVE-TRAIN PROBLEMS SINCE HE HAD NEVER ADJUSTED AFTER BREAK-IN. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE AFTER BREAK-IN A VALVE CAN SEAT AND DEVELOPE TOO SMALL OF A CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE ROCKER AND NOT CLOSE ALL THE WAY ,DEVELOPING VACUME LEAK, CREATING A LEAN AFFECT AND BURNING THE VALVE OR WEARING OUT THE VALVE GUIDE TO WHERE OIL CAN MAKE ITS WAY WHERE IT'S SHOULDN'T BE AND CREATE SMOKE...

86atc250r
08-10-2001, 12:19 AM
Change the oil to a heavier weight. I run and recommend Mobil1 15w50 after testing several oils on a few different 400's.

I have also posted a ton of info on the why's and how's of this and other oils on the old forum - do some searches if interested.

If the 15w50 doesn't cure the problem and your current dealer won't take care of it (you're still under warranty) take it to another dealer - your warranty is valid Nationwide, you're not limited to the dealer you bought the bike from.

GoingBig
08-11-2001, 03:37 PM
well i got it back from the shop..seems they let it run for 15 mins. reved it up a couple times and there response was..i see no smoke...added oil and gave it back to me..seems fishy.. i havent riden it yet. going out tomorrow for a bit..see if it smokes again or uses any oil.. i have had it in before this and had the valves and all that checked before and the oil changed so who knows if it smokes tomorrow its going back in..the guys at the dealer were total jerks and basicaly said i didnt know what i was talking about. thanks for all the replies.

Stevo
08-12-2001, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't really take it back to the dealer again. They are just gonna put the junk honda 10w-40 oil in it again. The reason it didn't smoke is because the engine didn't get hot enough for the oil to break down in it.

I'd switch to a 15w-50 or 20w-50 and it should stop!:)

08-12-2001, 03:48 PM
you are better off doing what ever needs to be done on your own doing. My experiance with the honda shops in this area is they have no idea what to do with these things let alone how!
Hell they cant even give me a straight answer on how much oil they take let alone the type you should use.
Like the pri post said get that honda junk oil out and put some good 20 - 50 in there.