PDA

View Full Version : What is better, Ball joint, or Heim on arms?

Bretmd94
04-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Building arms, and i dont know much about racing. All i know is I can build long travel arms for a lot less than 1300$. I'm thinking +2's. 19" shocks. Probably be works seeing as i dont want to spend a ton. Not much racing on west coast, so i mainly ride in the dunes.

MX250r
04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Hey, what city are you in? I'm in eugene. I was going to build myself some a-arms but i'm lost as far as the amount of geometry that goes into building them. If you don't mind briefly telling me how you build them or your secrets behind the construction of them, it would be great. I am 50min away from florence.

Bretmd94
04-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Im from the Rogue Valley, but im in K-Falls right now for school. Right now im not so sure on the geometry myself. We have jsut started the rough sketches today. We are figuring out all the small stuff first like where to get the ball joints of heims. As well as figuring what they are going to look like. The LT ones are going to be hard. Its still undecided if we are just going to make some regular +2's first. We are also wondering how we are going to get 19" shocks that will work for a decent price. Might have to get a business lisence to get them for wholesale. Make a couple extra pairs when we get everything figured out and sell them to freinds and locals for cheap to pay everything off. I will know a lot more by next week.

oh yeah, where do you race at? I want to get into it but theres not really any decent races down here. Maybe 6 people will show up at the Central Point track with quads.

MX250r
04-07-2003, 04:33 AM
The main track that I race at is 2 miles away, its called Eugene Motocross or Territorial. There is an average of about 5 people that show up their. It is not a busy track but I go there because the layout and how close it is. I also race Albany, Portland, Salem, Willow Creek and Washugual. Really the only person that is competition is a guy named JD West. He rides for cyclesports and has a nice 250r. Since I just bought my R I hope to give him a run for his money this year in the pro quad class. Estimate a price to build those for me please.

MX250r
04-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Here is my R that I just bought from a guy in Texas.

Extremeracer167
04-07-2003, 04:45 AM
i think if u have to ask this question, then u really arent qualified for the job, lmao

Merriman
04-07-2003, 05:23 AM
I am also going to build my own set of LT a-arms. This is a good question, cause I'm not sure what is better either. What I'm going to do is use Hiem joints and T-pin clamps, so there won't be any binding, and it will be fully adjustable. I can barely afford the 19 inch shocks, let alone the 1300 dollar arms to go with them. I think I build a set that will deliver the performance that I want for 1/4 of that price. There is going to be alot of trial and error though. Luckily i've got all the tools, and a whole lot of practice tubing.

OutlawEX
04-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Hem Joints:blah

Bretmd94
04-07-2003, 04:36 PM
yeah i figured Hem joints. My partner in making these races sprints through HS. We both can weld and have access to a big machine shop. You would think a couple Mechanical/Manufacturing engineering students could to this. I do realize that making the shocks work with the arms is going to be a b!tch.

MX250R, thats a badass 250r. I have been wanting to build a big 4 stroke MX'r in a 250r frame. I would definatly come up and race with you though. I think more people will start racing here. There have been more bikes sold these last couple years than ever. I want to see more MX in oregon. The dunes are getting old. As for price, I dont know yet. I will have to see how much it costs to get parts like the Hems, Chromoly, and how long it takes to build once we have a jig. If we start producing we will get a business lisence and get some shocks for cheap that can go with them. It will be a lot less than what the other companies charge. I dont really plan on making a lot. Just for locals and friends.